2021-22 Season Look Ahead

Another step closer to the Clark/Beekman backcourt sequel. Not ideal.

6 Likes

Not necessarily! I think if we knew that JAR and Casey may not stay, could explain why we played those two together as much as we did. Just a thought / possibility!

As of right now the roster is:
Clark
Beekman
McCorkle
Murray
Stattmann (if he doesnā€™t leave)
Murphy (if he doesnā€™t go pro - I fully expect him to declare and stay in the draft. Some NBA team is going to make him a draft promise in hopes of buying low on his upside)
McKoy (if he doesnā€™t leave - which I wouldnā€™t think he would do because he has literally no competition for playing time barring incoming transfer)
Shedrick
Caffaro

I know weā€™ll get some incoming transfers, but that roster above is a bottom half of the ACC team, especially if Murphy goes pro.

1 Like

While I fully agree its not ideal, I think it could work better than it did this year if Beekman takes over the main PG role

1 Like

Agreed on it being panic time until further notice.

We are going to be terrible next year. We might not win the ACC. THAT BAD!

2 Likes

Seeing some people say that AJ Griffin is gonna decommit from Duke? Anyone else seeing the same?

1 Like

Huh. Nova, Kentucky and Michigan were considered the other finalists for Griffin.

1 Like

Iā€™ve heard heā€™s going to go pro

2 Likes

Not that these rankings mean anything, but interesting to take a look:

2 Likes

We got an honorable mention for some reason, so thereā€™s that. Not totally sure why given weā€™ve lost six players, might lose a seventh, only bring in one high school recruit, and we are still waiting to see what transfers we get, but I guess thatā€™s just the rep Tony has built up at this point, haha. Pencil us in until prove otherwise I suppose.

4 Likes

Tech fans going to get set up for failure with those expectations. They benefited greatly from a covid year and avoiding their three toughest games. Faded badly down the stretch. Murphy is a good pick up but top 10?! I donā€™t see it.

ACC should be much better next year

2 Likes

Va Tech over Duke in a ranking that should have Duke top 10. On paper Duke runs that Va Tech out the gym.

Also still donā€™t think Griffin ends up at Duke or plays much. Too much at stake for him with his injury.

1 Like

I donā€™t understand how any outlet can put together a 2021-22 ranking preview now.

Transfers and the draft are putting half the rosters of teams who are candidates to be ranked, in flux.

This group is probably the hardest of the hardcore UVa fans, and we donā€™t even have a clue what our own roster will look like in 2-3 months.

10 Likes

They put them together because everyone clicks on them and talks about them on message boards like weā€™re doing now

19 Likes

It lets everyone call the pundits idiots if their team isnā€™t high enough and praise them for seeing the ā€œbig pictureā€ system that will ride them to the National Championship next year.

3 Likes

24 hour news cycle got to fill it with something

Parrish has us 23rd. I donā€™t know what world a roster headlined by Clark, Beekman and maybe Murphy is ranked at all, but a lot of these guys are in the Tony Bennett will figure it out line of thinking.

1 Like

I think way too early rankings are awesome, I wish they linked each ranking when they update them in the off season so you could see how transfers / late spring adds change things

6 Likes

ESPN has Murphy 41 to Detroit NBA mock draft - New picks, prospects on the rise after the NCAA tournament - ESPN