2021-22 Season Look Ahead

He’s definitely gonna test the waters, and it’ll probably come down to whether a team that can offer a guaranteed contract will promise to take him

3 Likes

I understand why he would test the waters. There’s no downside to that. But I don’t see the wisdom of turning pro when you’re projected as a second-round pick. He’s got the tools, but teams still see him as a project. If he stayed a year in college and sharpened a few skills – his defense, his handle, finishing in traffic, creating his own shot – he’d definitely be a first-round pick, probably a high first-round pick. Seems like it’s worth waiting a year for that.

4 Likes

I agree with your point, but I think a lot of NBA teams are starting to catch onto the fact that a lot of the time you can get a guy this year in the second round that will likely be a first round pick next year. And from Murphy’s point of view, 1st contracts are much smaller than 2nd contracts, so the quicker you can get to veteran status and start making the big bucks, the better.

3 Likes

What’s up with Stattman? Is he ok/back next year?

I doubt he’d show enough in a year to get into the lottery. What 4 year seniors have been picked in the lottery recently? Obi Toppin. Cam Johnson. Kris Dunn. Buddy Hield. Denzel Valentine. Taurean Prince. (2016 was weird). Frank Kaminsky. Doug McDermott.

It’s pretty rare.

On the flip side he could show that he can’t do certain things and drop out of the draft entirely.

3 Likes

Lol I wonder why.

10 Likes

I am going to get roasted for this, but could Kihei/Reece/Armaan be our (extremely light version) of Butler/Mitchell/Teague- at least on D?

Kihei doesn’t fit the size profile of Butler, but the other two guys match Mitchell and Teague. I think those three in lineups could really be elite as a perimeter defensive base.

Offensively, for those three to work decently, I think we will need to really lean into Reece as a downhill driving/paint penetration threat. Also need he and Kihei to shoot a serviceable percentage on catch and shoot.

3 Likes

No.

2 Likes

What you’re looking for is any 3 of Reece, Franklin, Murray and McCorkle

1 Like

Dude, really?..it isn’t necessary at this point…we already know…

I mean the thread is called 2020-2021 season: a look ahead, why can’t people express their opinion?

I happen to agree with @DavetheWave but I know how most of this board feels.

Edit: and if you don’t want to hear an opinion, just hit the ignore option

2 Likes

Davion Mitchell is a lottery pick, not sure how we can even compare him to any of our guards

3 Likes

Lol, I figured this would be the reaction- I prefaced with extremely light :joy:

I meant more from a lineup perspective, with strength in perimeter defense despite size. I know none of our guys are lotto picks. I also am well aware of the offensive shortcomings (especially shooting) relative to the Baylor crew.

The potential, however, for Reece to take his game to the next level and be a force in terms of creating/breaking down his guy 1-1 is very real, and something I look forward to him developing. If our guard crew is set, looking forward to how Tony mixes with the two shooters (Carson and Taine) off the bench.

4 Likes

But, how many times do you have to say the same thing over and over?? Like, we know…I’m all for hearing opinions that we don’t know…pretty sure we know his…

1 Like

As for the guards I think whats as important as off season development is seeing which guy(s) become most assertive. I would like to see Reece really step up and take the keys and leave his mark on games. Kihei of course the upper classman here so we will see. Also Franklin seems like a reserved kid (in a good way) so how will he come into a new team. We will need him to feel like a leader as well

9 Likes

I’m hoping that one of the guys will rise up and push the other players. Somebody that is going to get everybody together to work on their games. I know guys like Ty did that in the past. It’s going to take that to go up another notch as a team IMO.

2 Likes

I think they could absolutely mimic Baylor’s guards defensively. For starters Reece is a reasonable bet to be a future NDPOY like Mitchell was this year.

3 Likes

My point was that it’s hard to put a 5-8 dude in a 3 guard lineup where he has a good chance of having to switch onto bigger dudes. Clark would be more suited to be on the court with more traditional size that can potentially offset his lack of size defensively. I’m ok with Clark out there with Murphy at the 3 and Gardner at the 4.

Also, we have historically been a no-switch team, as Tony has said he prefers to preserve matchups, but the game is evolving to where you need multi-positional defenders and even we have gone to some switching on the perimeter. Kihei is a bulldog, but he is not a multi-positional defender because of his size.

2 Likes

He’s not afraid of the moment Doug.

5 Likes