2021-22 Season Look Ahead

Pretty long winded way of avoiding saying that he’s still not good enough to play for Kentucky

1 Like

But he could have played for us! The irony of it is, he probably would be staying in the draft after his second year and maybe we would have Murphy another year. There’s a pretty good chance he plays a lot more for us as a Freshman than he did at Kentucky, especially when we were starving for scoring.

3 Likes

Honestly may not have had Murphy if Juzang attends. Domino effect is really hard to predict.

3 Likes

is my memory correct that yesterday was the deadline for NCAA players to withdraw from the draft if they wanted to play NCAA ball this upcoming season?

The reason I ask is I just read that Kevin Obanor has been invited to workout with the Sixers, Magic and someone else that I can’t remember. The article was dated July 5th 2021 and it said the workouts would be over the next several weeks.

What am I missing? The above sounds like he will not be returning to the NCAA.

Not that I have any hope UVA was going after him - or as WFS_Hoo would say: UVA is most certainly NOT going after him or there is absolutely no way he would come to UVA :wink:
[Edit: said MFS when I meant WFS]
Love that reverse psychology

Is it just me or is college bball looking pretty loaded for next year? Lots of good teams on paper. Should be a fun year.

10 Likes

Seems like the top 20 teams all have a shot at a championship. Love to see it.

2 Likes

NIL should cause there to be more older teams every year. Better product

3 Likes

Just saw Dawson Garcia from Marquette committed to UNC. Not thrilled about that. But also, McKoy has a real uphill battle to see the floor any more than he did for us. I cannot imagine that this is what he was expecting to move.

13 Likes

Hopefully he takes a space for Traudt as well…

2 Likes

Yea I seen a UNC post talking about their depth in the frontcourt and he didn’t mention Mckoy. So I tweeted Yea and Mckoy too

2 Likes

I was under the impression that McKoy went to UNC to play the 3 and to be closer to his GF.

So that probably explains why he isn’t mentioned in their front court depth.

He doesn’t see himself as a front court player even if the best coach in the country tried to tell him that he was.

2 Likes

What does UNC’s depth at the 3 look like next season? If he can play the 3, is he in line for minutes?

He definitely wants to play on the perimeter but I don’t see it happening

2 Likes

He announced that he was returning to college yesterday, but hitting the portal which he was already in as of a week or two ago. His teammate Max Abmas (leading scorer in country last year) also announced he was returning to college, BUT he’s staying at Oral Roberts.

2 Likes

If Juzang came, then no Woldo. You figure Juzang would’ve gotten something approximating Woldo’s minutes unless Morsell was clearly better. Juzang might get a few minutes at the point so Kihei wasn’t playing 40 minutes a game.

Murphy still maybe comes. He was planning on redshirting and maybe he figures Juzang will hit the draft by the time Murphy is eligible.

Maybe JAR doesn’t commit though. Would’ve saved a lot of teeth gnashing among our fanbase.

Juzang would’ve solved a lot of issues on last year’s team though, if he could hold up on defense at least.

6 Likes

Don’t know if already posted, but a nice little (translated) quote from an article about Caffaro implies he’s finally getting some uninterrupted development time after a long difficult past few years.

“Injuries took away his career continuity in recent years. In 2021 he has been able to play more. 'I have been picking up the level since I recovered from the last injury. Day by day I am feeling more comfortable. After three years without much participation and without many games it is very difficult to know where one is. Since the end of last season I have been training a lot and I did not have to stop due to injuries ', commented the basketball player.”

Noticia de: El Litoral (www.ellitoral.com) [Link:https://www.ellitoral.com/index.php/id_um/307036-francisco-caffaro-prepara-su-debut-en-el-seleccionado-mayor-antes-de-tokio-regionales-antes-de-tokio.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter]

8 Likes

I just do not see a world where he can play major minutes at the 3 and have to chase dudes like (in our case) Franklin around. he is athletic enough to switch onto a 3 but i don’t think he’d hold up over the course of 25 minutes. also don’t think he’d be able to be THAT much of a mismatch on the other end.

in the backcourt they have Caleb Love at point, Kerwin Walton at the 2, and then Leaky Black, Anthony Harris, Puff Johnson (Cam’s brother), and a few somewhat highly rated freshmen in Dontrez Styles (#62) and D’Marco Dunn (#64) who would all seem to be fighting for time. i just don’t see a ton of minutes for him, but good luck.

5 Likes

Consider me annoyed. The legends classic field is a joke I have no idea why we’re still doing it. Rest of this schedule is super light. Seems like there is very little benefit to playing a bunch of cupcakes in non-con but we do it a lot. If you win, congrats you were supposed to. If you lose… cough San Francisco cough

4 Likes

We got laps ran around us on that tournament

2 Likes

We are going to go into ACC play having no idea how good this team is. Then the ACC looks down again so we probably won’t learn anything in conference that tells us where we sit nationally.