2021-22 Season Look Ahead

Ok I’ll play along but I don’t have to like it.

1 Like

I’ll believe it when Malcolm Brogdon walks back through the JPJ doors.

3 Likes

I think the pace thing is true. Both Gardner and Armaan mentioned the team is working on a scheme that should quicken the pace offensively.

3 Likes

But they never worked in an old system so how would they know? I think the players tend to talk about how open and free the offense is rather than how quick the tempo is when they say pace. I sincerely doubt we are actually going to play noticeably faster. We’ve heard that just about every offseason and it’s never actually stuck past the first few OOC games.

3 Likes

If you actually listen to the podcasts then it would answer all of your counterpoints. I would encourage you to listen to it.

Don’t do it to yourself Phony - don’t do it. I worry for your mental health in February … don’t go down the path to fast break freedom!!!

2 Likes

Thing is it doesn’t matter what they say at this point. Not to me at least. Words from players and coaches are empty on this topic because there is a track record of offseason words not matching what occurs in season. I don’t doubt the staff can head into an offseason with the sincere intention to play faster. And it sometimes even lasts a few games into a new season. But then we’ll have a couple of games with too many turnovers and Tony ends the experiment. The only time I’ll believe we are playing faster is when we see it. If we get 7-8 games into ACC play and still aren’t dead last in pace.

2 Likes

I suffered a near death experience doing it (literally felt my soul leaving my body), but I watched some of the Duke scrimmage video that they have up. Nothing to really see in the time I watched (except that Banchero is going to be a beast, Keels missed several open 3s and there is absolutely no emphasis on defense). The point being, Duke does a great job of feeding its fan base. It would be really nice if CTB would open things up somewhat, especially in the new era of NIL, for player exposure purposes and fan gratification. Of course, as I said, I had to turn it off before my soul left my body and I started to desire someone with angelic eyes, but there was a definite pang of residual jealousy over the fact that Duke gets red meat for dinner and we are hanging on the crumbs from Kadin’s mouth.

10 Likes

Probably the acc (the other network ESPN has a major contract with). Probably Oklahoma State and West Virginia? Those were the Big 12 schools with ACC smoke

Man we should just leave with UNC to the B1G. More money for football facilities, more money for research with AAU, and the ACC in general has become such a dump in basketball. A lot of middling programs and a lot of the top coaches about to retire.

4 Likes

The first domino has fallen. May we embrace our new B1G home.

2 Likes

I saw a few writers opine that this move being engineered ESPN is a good sign for the ACC since they have most (all?) of our rights. Basically they will try to do something for us to increase the value of the ACC since they are locked in as long term partners.

2 Likes

It was the AAC, not the ACC

1 Like

I firmly doubt that UVa is going anywhere. I doubt that anyone in the ACC is going anywhere. The conference has been assigned the GOR for every member through 2034 (or 2035) and I believe the exit fee is around $50 mil. The ACC is going to remain as it is for the immediate future, if not longer. Among other things, what conference is interested in adding a new member which doesn’t bring along their media rights? Additionally, the $9 mil difference in conference payouts probably isn’t that big an issue for now. There is no need to rush into any decisions anytime soon.

3 Likes

If the B1G makes the move to take the I-95 corridor, the lawyers will work it out. As we see, contracts mean very little in this day with good enough lawyers and any fee will be paid over time with the improved academic, improved branding in a super conference, and improved research funding.

Very unlikely. All indications suggest that the B1G isn’t in a panic mode, either. They appear to be content to let things remain as they are. The only schools who should be concerned are the remaining members of the Big XII. On the other hand, we could see a return to conference named “The Big 8”! :slight_smile:

The bottom line is that the Big XII has had issues for quite a while. Just like the old Southwest Conference had issues. It will be very interesting to see how Texas’ own media network is reconciled with the SEC. The ACC, B1G, and Pac-12 will be better served by just sitting tight and waiting for the dust to settle.

1 Like

It would make sense for the Big12 to pick up Houston, Cincinatti, and UCF. Maybe Boise but Idaho ain’t a great market LOL or take a shot at BYU.

@Mikeysurf had a great idea about all the other conferences coming together and agreeing to not play the SEC in non-conference basketball or football. However it all depends on if B!G wants to enter the arms race vs SEC

1 Like

Depending on which Twitter lawyer you read that GOR agreement is either an insurmountable hurdle or completely unenforceable for the public universities. If the latter crowd is correct it only actually locks in the private school members of the ACC (and any other conference that has one as part of their TV deal). I will be surprised if we don’t see at least once school challenge it and see if it is at all enforceable. Might not be this summer but I’d bet on it happening before the football playoff expansion goes into place.

2 Likes

I imagine that once those in power take a moment of evaluate the situation, they will come to the conclusion that the landscape of intercollegiate athletics is too unstable to make any moves now. That probably wasn’t true for Texas and Oklahoma as the Big XII has had issues for some time. For Pete’s Sake, they were forced to add WVU to the conference. IMO, that screams desperation and instability. Schools in the B1G and ACC are far more fortunate.

Among other things, the full impact of NIL is yet to be grasped, IMO. Will it lead to “pay-for-play”? Seems likely. State legislatures are at work on this issue, if I understand things correctly. Some hard choices are in store for many college ADs. Undertaking serious realignment when it isn’t a critical necessity doesn’t seem to be a judicious course for now. We are about to enter the age of “Professionalism” in intercollegiate athletics. I suspect the changes are going to be profound. I don’t believe any athletic director wants to consider changing conference affiliation until they have a better understanding of the future of athletic conferences in general.

Ever since Terry Holland completed his first season as head coach, I believe similar comments have been heard every summer with the exception of the Gillen years. And, it never happened, except during the Gillen years. I’ll believe it when I see it. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The Big Ten is in a completely different boat than the ACC. They are far more stable due to their ability to generate revenue that matches the SEC. Our only peer at this point is the Pac 12. I think you are correct we won’t see any ACC schools move this summer. Doubt they wait until 2035 or 2036 though.

Important to keep in mind these decisions aren’t made at the AD level but at the President/Chancellor level. Choosing between the Big Ten, SEC, and staying in the ACC has larger ramifications for the direction of the university as a whole. I hope President Ryan and the BOV are being proactive and creating several plans for when Clemson or FSU inevitably reach out to the SEC. Making sure UNC still views us as a package deal should be the main immediate priority for everyone in a position of influence at UVA imo.

7 Likes