2021 ACC Tournament Bracket

First Round storylines:

Forget BC and Wake, which is really the worst team in the ACC right now Pitt or Miami?

Can BC put Duke out of its misery on Tuesday?

Can Mike Brey save his job if he wins the ACCT?

5 Likes

I think Brey makes the decision on his job. He is such a level headed guy and in my opinion way less ego than most and will know if he can still help the program and help kids or if is better to step away.

14 Likes

Great assessment. He certainly deserves the right to make the call. He’s earned it

7 Likes

I think UVa and FSU meet in the finals but FSU ultimately wins. FSU has consistently been our kryptonite

4 Likes

When we get the re match we win Big B

9 Likes

They’re getting bounced early without those Tallahassee rims.

4 Likes

Hope you’re right on this one Fresh

1 Like

I’d prefer not to play Georgia Tech for the third time this season. Both games were hard-fought wins and beating a good team three times in a season is tough.

2 Likes

I had a similar thought. Tough to beat anyone 3 times in a year. Especially when they tend to play you tight.

Why do people think Brey is going anywhere? He’ll return five of his top six scorers next season, and he has a highly regarded transfer from Yale and a couple of decent 2021 recruits already committed.

Notre Dame’s record this year is also a bit misleading given the schedule they played, which was ranked by most as the toughest in the ACC.

Anyway, unless they know John Beilein will take the job, Notre Dame would be foolish to not see what Brey can do with that roster next year and hope that a good season gets things going again.

If they do fire him, they’ll lose all those guys they have coming back and be looking at a complete rebuild and a few years of living in the ACC cellar.

6 Likes

Who do you all have between Cuse and State? We trounced Syracuse and lost to NC State, but Cuse beat State twice this year (once in a real close one).

Guess we’d prefer Syracuse given the in-season results, but I like a revenge game too.

2 Likes

There’s been some smoke around him for a few seasons i agree and think it be foolish to fire him. Overall ND has performed at or close to expectantion they had a solid run back in 16 or 17. I also doubt any big name is clamoring to go there and lead a second fidldle program in their school. Breys a very good coach and I don’t think he’s close to being checked out yet.

1 Like

I like our ability to beat the zone. Three point shooting is overdue. Would prefer to play Syracuse.

Probably better for us to prepare for the tourney against a team like NC State though that will switch on us defensively.

2 Likes

Rather play Cuse. Over the years hoos tend to match up well agaisnt them. Jay in the high post was lethal earlier this year. Would love a redemption game agaisnt NCst but i don’t like the matchup they are athletic physical and agressive amd unafraid. All traits the hoos haven’t faired well agaisnt.

3 Likes

Am with you guys on this one. I feel like NC State was out only “bad” loss this year and it almost happened twice. Great point about preparing for switching teams going into tournament play

2 Likes

On the other hand, I’d like to see our guys be able to overcome a team like NCState and build confidence for the rest of the ACC tournament and the NCAA that we can prevail against teams with athletic bigs who switch on every screen.

3 Likes

That’s conventional wisdom but the data says otherwise. Will see if I can find who tweeted it the other day but the winning percentage for teams in a 3rd game against an opponent they beat twice in the regular season is like 70%.

5 Likes

You are correct. I read an actual study on this years ago and the tough to beat a team 3 times thing is a myth.

3 Likes
3 Likes

I think stat is likely comprised of teams that were dominant over a team twice. Zags play a WCC team 3 times, they’re gonna win all 3, but it’s hard to win a coin flip like us and GT 3 times in a row

3 Likes