2021 Basketball Recruiting

I think our offensive changes will offer a huge boost to the spring signing period and / or for transfers. I’ll eat my words and say Keels recruitment may get even more interesting. If he had signed in the fall, I think we would have finished last of the three. However, I think there is hope things may trend differently If our offensive performance continues as we have this year. Villanova nor Duke have shown the ceiling Virginia has. If not Keels, there will be some pleasant surprises in the spring. UVA offers some huge opportunities!

4 Likes

From the Duke board a while back

“I have a friend who is a coach and he says that he thinks Villanova will eventually win out but when pressed he admits he doesn’t have any definite or hard facts to back that up. He just says “ Trevor and Jeremy were never tight at PVI, they don’t dislike each other or not like playing together but they were teammates, not friends. That doesn’t convince me of Keels not choosing Duke. Keels can fit in and really make a good case for himself in the eyes of NBA GM’s in the way Duke could use him. Virginia is the dark horse in the race and Trevor could potentially be given a very good leash by Bennett who is trying to change his offense some at UVA.”

I think today definitely helped that cause. I do wonder if and when Keels picks elsewhere, if we try to get Woldo back for a 5th year? and pocket that scholly for the 2022 class?

3 Likes

Admittedly, I was not a fan of Keels until recently. The kid has really polished his game and worked very hard in the weight room it appears. That in part is probably why CTB wants him. After a period of deceptive moves in his recruitment, he seems to have kept things really close to the vest which generally works more in our favor. Although, I expect transfers from Duke this year, I don’t think we’ll see the dramatic trend of “one and dones” this year from their program. Therefore, playing time may not be as clearcut as was once projected.

We, however are trending into one of the “hot” programs again this year. Ironically, that Gonzaga beating may just add to the drama of a future rematch!

1 Like

Keels could be special for UVA. But so could a lot of people, including any number of the available transfer upcoming this off season. and the loaded 2022 class. I hope 2-3 years from now Keels doesn’t regret his decision as an upperclassmen on a coach K squad in which K uses his “we are young” excuse.

We are at a point where recruits need us more than we need them, although we still want them. Our culture, brand, and player development is something not many can offer. Especially with our new offense.

5 Likes

Amen brother! That’s exactly how I feel also. Reid may be another who regrets his decision! I’ve got my eye out for Zeb Jackson. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him in the transfer portal. What a weapon he could be in our offensive schemes!

1 Like

Keels blurb. No new news but it is interesting that the guys that we’re all saying Duke was the favorite or it’s a Duke/Nova battle a few months ago have all changed their tune.

4 Likes

We need mckneels not keels

3 Likes

Yes, I will eat my own words. I think CTB’s patience, persistence, sincerity, could win this one in the end. However, I think this recruitment has been very fluid over the long term. The unhappiness (passion) with his game also hints at what CTB sees in him amongst other talents and traits. Year after year, what this staff does with their team has to turn heads of prospects, parents, and even some ground level coaches, albeit begrudgingly!

2 Likes

we’ll take both. After everyone transfers out this year, we will take 13 2021 recruits followed by 13 2022 recruits.

Sunrise Christian vs. PVI on ESPN3 starting now. Should be a good game.

Gradey Dick and Trevor Keels. Isn’t there a 2023 on PVI we are interested in as well? Twitter rumor is that Dug McDaniels is Michigan bound but I don’t know how heavily involved we ever were. Would help with trying to get Seth Trimble if we push there (usually tony keys in on a point guard early but with lack of evaluation pg might be the longest wait in recruiting to evaluate everyone and late risers).

Michigan’s board is discussing problems with scholarship limits, huge incoming class, potential for a few wanting to return, and they continue to recruit. Turnover is inevitable at Michigan!

1 Like

Gradey Dick looks solid out there. Hit some shots and looks more than a shooter. Yeah, Deshawn Harris Smith, I like his game a lot. A great athlete with a solid all-around game. (Needs to work on his shot a bit) Tony might be done with PVI after Keels lol but yeah I don’t think he’s zeroed in on any point guard.

1 Like

How is Keels doing ? I read that he had a bad shooting game yesterday

Being double and tripled but still good at using his body and physicality to abuse defenders and a beautiful looking stroke even when the ball doesn’t go in.

I will say this though. There is no way Keels is a one and done. He could develop into something REALLY good (I think HGN said Trevor would be a very strong candidate to be on the UVA Mt Rushmore and I agree with that assessment). But if he goes to Duke he could easily become over-recruited fodder. He can be special. But watching highlights of his last few games, even the ones where he puts up numbers vs weaker competition, I do not think “this person will be in the NBA in a year”.

Choosing Duke over UVA/Nova would be career suicide. I don’t say this as a hater but as a realist. UVA/Nova could develop him into an NBA player. Duke won’t.

8 Likes

You’re definitely not letting go of Zeb anytime soon, eh? Lol

7 Likes

No sir! :joy:

1 Like

Are you confident Zeb would transfer because of freshman PT? I mean we are taking about a kid who was fine with riding the pine at Montverde. Based off that it would follow he is perfectly content with not playing much for a top 10 team as a freshman.

2 Likes

By his logic McCorkle and JAR will transfer too then

3 Likes

McCorckle and Jabri are coming off of injuries for one thing and CTB doesn’t promise anything. In fact, some say he is too candid during the recruiting process. That prepares a kid somewhat for what has to be earned. In fact many of our kids commit to us due to the opportunity to develop discipline, physically and as a player. However, when you recruit like Alabama and Michigan, your are recruiting for turnover. There’s a pretty significant difference. These kids may not be told specifically but there is an inherent expectation for early playing time. Many are seeking instant gratification. When you are constantly recruiting and signing 4 & 5 stars at your position, one can easily become disenchanted.

2 Likes