2021 Basketball Recruiting

That sounds like rationalization to make yourself feel good Jackson will transfer but somehow Abdur-Rahim and McCorkle won’t. If anything Zeb is the only one of the three that has already proven he is okay with receiving limited PT.

2 Likes

Hoos9412, you are correct in regards to Zeb and the limited playing time. Rahim and McCorkle are definitely not used to that. Personally, I’m a little more concerned with McCorkle. If comments from Rahim’s dad are any indication, this may have been part of the plan. However, with McCorkle there’s an assumption from some fans that he may be content. We just don’t know for sure. You can label it rationalization, and maybe it is. Personally, I feel that our staff doesn’t sell or emphasize immediate playing time to prospects. Prospects seeking instant gratification seem to gravitate to those schools who emphasize early playing time as part of their recruiting pitch. Having said that, Zeb originally committed to Beilein, which to me is a bigger factor.

1 Like

McCorkle reclassed from '21 to '20 and was a likely redshirt this year… Only reason he’s seen the court is because it’s a free year.

7 Likes

Also you can see his expression and joy for the team when we are playing well. Check him out during the games he’s definitely pretty active… Jabri on the other hand…

1 Like

I can assure you McCorkle is fine with limited PT this season. I talked to him during the offseason and he said multiple times he was too skinny and needed to put on weight and get ready for meaningful minutes.

12 Likes

I hope they both are. I’m really love watching our players develop, as well as CTB molding a team!

2 Likes

Oh I agree. I actually think we are relatively safe from either one leaving given the lack of PT. But I also don’t think there is any reason to believe Jackson is leaving Michigan and any Michigan fan seeing his yearning for Jackson would probably chuckle. Just like I would laugh at a Seton Hall fan consistently pining for Jabri or NC State fan for Carson.

2 Likes

Oak Hill is on Espn3 @HoozGotNext any players to watch in this game?

1 Like

Maybe their soph PG Caleb Foster, know they’re looking at him. Stud

2 Likes

Saw a photo of him from Saturday and it looks like he’s been hitting the weight room

1 Like

Its been a long year due to COVID and a slow recruiting cycle! I’m just having fun!

P.S. If N.C. State came after McCorkle and their assistant Steve Snell still played softball for me, I would bench him! I kid Stevie! I kid!

3 Likes

watched him some. Looks like a Virginia PG to me. Very calm and heady and Ds up.

1 Like

Hoos9412! I will admit, I do yearn for this prospect. I would love to see what CTB could do with this young man. Elite quickness, nice handle, and good shooter! CTB likes lefties! He’s also supposedly grown to 6’ - 5".

3 Likes

What can change a kid’s mind is if he is winning his matchup in practice at a 50% clip or higher on both ends. That’s why Tony had to play Beekman right away… he was absolutely destroying in practice. So if Carson is winning against Morsell and/or TW, then he could get disillusioned if he doesn’t cut into those minutes by December 2021.
One would think he also needs to stay ahead of Murray next year in the rotation, knowing there are 2 more dudes at wing coming in 2022.
CM is too good to be a bit player for 4 years.

I would be stunned if McCorkle is destroying Morsell or even Woldy on net. And that is meant as no slight to him

5 Likes

This are the same reasons I feel that Zeb will transfer from Michigan somewhere.

I have no inside knowledge of what’s going on in practice, just what I hear publicly from the coaches and other players and what I can see during games. My strong impression is that Carson is not winning much against Morsell,TW, or Beekman and is perfectly fine with his 1st year experience given his need to buik up, etc .

Williford has both directly and indirectly said that Jabri’s defense needs a lot of work, which you can also glean from his very limitied minutes during games. At least one poster on this board has said that Jarbi’s folks believe he needed a redshirt year to work on his game and his body after missing most of his high shool senior season. If that’s the case, though, I think this free year may be a tougher situation for Jabri than Carson because of the higher expectations based on his recruiting rank. In other words, Jabri is available to play this year and he’s not, so his perception may be that people think he’s a disappointment. Had he been redshirted instead, then, like DeAndre Hunter, maybe people would have been talking about him some at the beginning of the season, but mostly forgetting about him except for the occasional rumor that he’s dominating at times in practice. Then Jabri could have burst onto the court next season after TW and Sam have moved on. I still think it’s very possible, and maybe even likely, that Jabri will be a key player next year given the avaible game time for 3/4s. So hopefully he’s not too down about his situation and is focusing instead on the well established process under Tony to develop into an NBA player after a somewhat quiet start to his UVA career.

6 Likes

If Jabri uses this year and the off-season right and is able to turn what is likely some frustration into properly channeled motivation, he’ll have a great opportunity to contribute next year. That would both increase our ceiling for next year significantly and probably help with recruiting. But we’ll just have to see how it plays out. I think he’s a smart and motivated kid, so I’m inclined to think it’ll work out well.

That said, even in his limited minutes, you can see why he currently isn’t playing. His foot speed on defense is really rough, and the guys he is defending are just blowing by him on the perimeter. I think that’s probably just the result of not playing game speed basketball for a year, and I think he has all the physical tools to turn into a plus defender. He’s not a slow player overall and has decent length. Just got to work on those close-outs and sliding all summer.

6 Likes

Nothing really new, just that he continues to be torn between the three schools.

3 Likes