2021 Football Recruiting

There’s been come clamoring for this, and with all the news coming from Bronco’s program I figured this is a good a place as any to kick things off.

7 Likes

As mentioned rumored pledge of Mississippi St transfer qb Keyaton Thompson might pop today. Has two years left, immediately eligible. Was a consensus top 5 dual threat qb coming out of hs

3 Likes

Thanks for this thread (which I’ll admit my lazy ass could have started). Even just having a place to discuss on this board is a plus.

3 Likes

Not going to even claim to be in @HoozGotNext or @TUGARD realm here, but here is what we now so far for the 2021 class

Josh McCarron WDE Everett, WA 4star
Josh Rodriguez Dual QB Wichita Falls TX 3star
Jay Wollfolk Dual QB Richmond Va 3 star
Michael Green Ath Williamsburg Va 3 star
Jesiah Davis WR Cornelius NC 3 star
Micah Gaffney CB Spanish Fort AL 3 star
Amaad Foston RB Milledgeville Ga 3 star
Langston Long S Arden NC 3 star
William Simpkins III CB Gathersburg MD 3 star
Malachi Fields Charlottesville VA 3 star

All of that has earned the Hoos the 19th ranked class according to 24/7 with 10 commits locked in and 1 from the class of 2020 looking to head to FUMA for a year before enrolling in 2021.

6 Likes

NP it was needed. And as we get more info on football season and it (hopefully) kicks off I’ll post more content

1 Like

At first glance the recruiting strategy so far makes sense and falls inline with what I’ve come to expect from Bronco and co.

Four players from Va/MD showing they have a strong presence instate.

A bunch of 3-stars. One thing I will give Bronco credit for is his staff does a great job of developing talent, and finding legit 3stars who fit a system and slowly transform them into 4’s and 5’s. That’s not an easy thing to do. It also doesn’t make for flashy headlines, but it fits Bronco’s philosophy perfectly.

4 Likes

Totally agree. I’m fairly new to FB recruiting but I’m really intrigued by it. Obviously we’ve had a huge week or two, But top 20 at the end of the day is probably unrealistic. I was looking at lay rankings (247) and I think a realistic goal would be a top 30-35 class nationally (best under bronco at uva is 39 in 2019). Do we think this is achievable?

4 Likes

I agree. There’s a lot of high level recruits still out there and it’s unlikely that UVa will play into getting them for a number of reasons. That will make the UVa’s ranking slide. Settling into that low to mid 30s range would be a big win for Bronco and hopefully set the table for some sustained success.

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/cavalierblue/status/1256219961741246466?s=21 Also, Cavalier Blue usually seems to know his stuff, y’all know who he is referencing?

2 Likes

It could be QB Keytaon Thompson (Miss St) but not 100% sure though. If it’s not him then It will most likely be someone that has been flying under the radar on various UVA boards.

2 Likes

That’s my guy right there. Cav Blue loves this stuff. Well, Joe too! lol

2 Likes

Bronco with the signal.

2 Likes

Perfect timing @Wahoowa12 I was just asking how people feel about Bronco and the staff teasing commits ahead of time? Creates buzz but takes away all the spontaneity. I guess it’s common across college football. Don’t see it much from basketball coaches.

2 Likes

Honestly I’ve loved it. I wish there was a little more mystery to it, but it gets everybody fired up. I think a lot (not all) of uva football fans lack that fiery passion that you need to be a good football program. Gets the fans more involved. Love it.

8 Likes

I feel like the staffs teasing the news fits more in the college football world where coaches and programs hold more prestige than individual athletes. It’s a better fit and goes with the team first mentality of the sport.

5 Likes

Great point. Same is true for the recruits. Fans don’t know much about the football prospects, other than the number of stars next to their name. There are too many to get that invested in. The teasing builds interest. Whereas we know all about the basketball recruits. Teasing it would just be stealing their thunder.

7 Likes

Great point. There’s more of a disconect with FB recruits. Few players are on a national radar for their entire HS career like they are in Bball. Football also offers less exposure to the athletes. The 7 on 7 circuits aren’t nearly as well known as the AAU circuit. Football stars tend to grow into their stardom while basketball players walk onto campus as stars.

2 Likes

There it is! Big pick up.

7 Likes
4 Likes

A big pickup and an interesting one. A lot of players were praising Armstrong and his work ethic. Looks like a qb battle.brewing

2 Likes