2021 recruiting reset

Time to retire the old 1K reply thread.

20 Likes

Will ask this question generically and not specifically about UVA. How do coaches hold off someone who wants to commit in order to wait for the decision of player higher on their board?

3 Likes

They don’t exactly. It’s all about where they’re spending their time normally. You generally have to push to get a player to commit, at least one with other quality options. There’s pride involved. To get them early you have to really push. The coaches that make the “for later” offers are pretty smart about it. Those kids rarely hear from the head coach until it’s go time if that ever comes.

6 Likes

Link for the trailer of the first ever Recruiting Spotlight, posted on HGN Instagram!! Full video coming out tomorrow night around 6 PM. Commentary provided by myself and good friend and rising on screen stud, William Foshee. This video is just intro and highlights, analysis comes tomorrow!

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CCHaYCCANll/?igshid=ykbsdqpf5tgq

First one yet by William and I. Accidentally dropped a “Justin McCorkle” rather than Carson… will post the link to the full version in here tomorrow !

9 Likes

Pointing the blooper out before others do. Pro move!! The young guys Joe and William did a great job with their first effort. They’re gonna be doing more videos on IG coming up, profiling recruits and just general updates as things change.

9 Likes

Yes sir!! Looking forward to talking about a COMMIT one of these days :100:

6 Likes

Great update! Thanks for all of the info.

You wrote that Ben Gregg is “another skilled modern four-man like Kaufman and Sochan.” Is the modern 4-man more a comparison to Dre or someone like Mamadi?

If more similar to Dre, is UVA in a strong position because of Dre’s success?

1 Like

Thanks @jegelfand. I would say the model of what they’re looking for would be closer to Mike Scott or Anthony Gill. All about scoring at the 4 spot, but today’s ideal version is a little more agile to defend small ball lineups. They’re using Dre as the example for sure because why not? Trey Kaufman has talked about it. It’s not disingenuous. No one’s comparing them exactly. it’s more just this is how we can create mismatches for you (insert film of Dre),. And of course, hey we developed this beast that can guard anybody…and that’s where every one of those guys need to improve to make it as pros. And yeah it’s effective! Ask jabri Abdur-Rahim and Trey Murphy.

3 Likes

Does Tony ever mention Klay Thompson and Aron Baynes to recruits or only UVA players? Have to think Klay Thompson is a player that resonates with the youths (on top of Joe Harris and Malcolm Brogdon, of course) in recruiting shooting guards.

1 Like

Definitely. Pretty sure he did with Joe Harris…and I know he did with Sam Hauser. I’d make a decent bet Klay’s name has already been dropped with Caleb Houstan. Baynes is kinda tough. lol Might have worked on Salt or Papi.

2 Likes

If there is ever a 5 star from down under we are involved with … LOL

3 Likes

No Hoos in the top 10 for Eric Van Der Heijden. Would be a solid get for Wake Forest and their rise from the ashes hopefully

2 Likes

Also is there any player from the 2021 or 2022 classes who DOESN’T have an offer from Maryland or LSU? I feel like everyone has one. I might get one tomorrow in the mail, or in my next cereal box along with a UNC Diploma at this rate.

6 Likes

Soon I hope

1 Like

According to 247, Virginia Tech has put out 56 offers to the 2021 class and 31 to the 2022 class. That’s gotta be close to the most in the nation.

2 Likes

That has to be a slippery slope… at some point the offer probably doesn’t seem so special anymore. I’m not sure when that point is. How does MY convince kids he’s prioritizing them if he has that many offers out?

2 Likes

HGN, does the fact that other than Reid they seemed to be prioritizing a 4 over a 5 indicate that after seeing Shedrick in practice they see him as more of a 5 instead of a 4/5 or is it just an indication of how the small ball game is evolving?

2 Likes

I’m interested to see how well he recruits when he cant promise a ton of playing time

Some good news

8 Likes

Glad he’s not reclassifying, but have we ever gotten a recruit from IMG?

1 Like