2021 recruiting rundown

4 Likes

Mutombo’s son is looking like he will be just as tall as his dad, and maybe the shot blocking reputation to go with it. Could be a good defensive fit for UVA! We have lots of top notch recruiting targets…Wondering if anyone has a guess what the probabilities are that we land one, two, or even three of our intended top targets for 2021? If we start putting together back to back strong recruiting seasons, imagine how nasty our basketball program is going to be. We won a national championship with mostly just a single strong 2016 recruiting class.

5 Likes

Mutombo is on the slow footed side like his dad. That would be an issue here. Then again, it’s also the place for him to address his weakness. Same is true for Efton Reid to a lesser extent. Agile 7-footers are hard to find. :laughing:

4 Likes

ahhh…good point…Maybe Jay Huff is the perfect fit for us, He’s a quick for a 7 footer. Could be one of the main catalyst on why our defense is excelling this year.

2 Likes

Might as well check in on Caleb while they’re in the neighborhood.

Virginia sent an assistant in tonight for Top-30 junior Caleb Furst, his mother told @Stockrisers. He will be at Purdue tomorrow for the Boilermakers’ matchup against UVA.

— Jake (@jakeweingarten) December 4, 2019
5 Likes

Add FSU to the list for Efton Reid. I see on twitter that Leonard Hamilton is at his game tonight.

1 Like

Reid seems like a prototype FSU big. Ugh.

1 Like

UVA assistant at the Sleepy Thompson tournament in Alexandria. And I’d bet a large sum that’s Williford. He hasn’t missed that event once in all the years I’ve followed this stuff.

He was watching Maret with Quincy Allen. This is actually the same event he discovered Allen a year ago. '21 guard Angelo Brizzi is there. STAB with recent visitor '22 Justin Taylor. And Hargrave always has a few worth checking out.

2 Likes

ESPN updated their rankings. Weird time for it.

#14 Efton Reid. I think they had him low 20s before
#16 Max Christie
#34 Caleb Furst
#35 Trevor Keels

They left out DaRon Holmes. Perfect illustration of the blind spot in early national rankings. They just aren’t familiar with a lot of these guys who didn’t play at the Under-17 level on a shoe circuit.

4 Likes

Is Justin Taylor turning into a legit prospect? I saw highlights of his first game and he’s pretty good.

1 Like

Taylor is an easy call for the A-10s. Shooter with good size. It’ll come down to how well he shows with Team Loaded as he moves up in age group. Needs to prove he can defend ACC guards. If he can get there, he’s in the right class for UVA. They’ll be looking for someone in that mold.

1 Like

Coach Williford is heading up to DeMatha today for National HoopFest. Trevor Keels is the primary target. Paul VI plays IMG Academy tonight. Philly PG Rahsool Diggins and Texas big man Jerrell Colbert are a couple other '21s of interest.

5 Likes

Some nice pub for Justin Taylor

3 Likes

Trevor Keels is going off on the big stage. Just had a 14 point quarter, finished with a game high 25. Coach K and his entourage are there watching their commits, so this isn’t necessarily a positive development from our perspective. Would have happened eventually anyway I guess.

3 Likes

ESPN will know DaRon Holmes next update. Paul Biancardi called his game tonight against Bronny James and his super squad.

4 Likes

Evan Daniels must have really liked what he saw from Justin Taylor. Now a Top 50 guy in the 2022 class on 247.

Screenshot_185

6 Likes

Any buzz of a reclassification? Just given the apparent increase in coverage, or would you just say its been a normal progression in the recruiting process as he comes onto the scene?

2 Likes

No he’s in the right class as far as I know. Just about all moves up are really just undoing an earlier reclassification back.

He doesn’t have any high major offers so far. It’s not even early yet, so that doesn’t mean much. This ranking stuff doesn’t effect UVA’s approach at all. But it will draw others in. I’m pretty surprised by it. General consensus among scouts that have covered Taylor a lot is that he’s a maybe at this level. Most said probably a mid-major guy. I asked around last summer after he had the big freshman year.

6 Likes

Always recruiting activity over exam break.

Virginia will send an assistant in today for Top-30 junior Peyton Watson, a source told @Stockrisers. Was slated to take an official visit but had to postpone it.

— Jake (@jakeweingarten) December 9, 2019
4 Likes

Quincy Allen story from Rivals.

“I talked to Coach (Jason) Williford a couple of weeks ago. They just want to get me on an official visit pretty soon. I like them but I am also keeping a lot of my options open right now.

He goes on to list Miami Michigan Louisville and UCLA as standing out.

I think that’s also Coach Williford out west this week. Pretty sure I recognized him in a picture at Peyton Watson’s game last night. DaRon Holmes plays tonight. Would expect that to be his next stop.

Oh and we fancied up the rundown with cool graphics @Merch supplied. :raised_hands: :clap:

2 Likes