2022-23 Lineup Conjecture fun

Still all-acc. Lots of people would’ve liked to have him. Definitely not some ‘blindspot’.

I said blindspot to play him more per game than the likes of Ty or Guy or Hunter or Perrantes or Harris or Singletary or Alexander or Crotty or Wilson or Morgan or Burrough or Brogdon ever did in a season.
If he were playing 15-20 minutes per game - he would be more effective and would play better on both ends - his help side defense is atrocious because he’s afraid to foul so he doesn’t get benched for foul trouble.

That last sentence is so ridiculous. I just can’t man holy smokes.

Do we know how many times we went more than 5 minutes without scoring during this season? How many times we held teams without scoring for more than 5 mins?

Not piling on like many like to do, I enjoy your posts for your conclusions and the numbers you crunch to reach them whether I agree with them or not, but if this is talking about Kihei…

Which is it? Does he have a long leash or is he worried about being yanked for playing tougher defense?

1 Like

He knows the only reason Tony would bench him is getting 2 fouls in the first half or 3 fouls early in the 2nd. I’ve watched every game twice this year. There are in most games at least 3 times per half where Clark doesn’t foul if he’s late on a rotation or if that’s the only way to stop a sure bucket because he’s 5-9.
Or even take a chance at jumping or going for the swipe.
Either he’s tired, he’s too slow, not efforting enough - or doesn’t want to get into foul trouble…based on all the tape I’ve seen it’s the last option above.
That’s why I’m never a fan of anyone playing more than 30-32 minutes per game … it changes the way they play.

1 Like

Interesting stat to look at looking forward to next year is Minutes Continuity. This measures what percent of minutes from the previous year are being used by the same individual players.

Under Bennett here are the Minutes Continuity #'s and the end of season KenPom ratings

2009-10: 65.7% (76th on KenPom)
2010-11: 46.5% (103rd)
2011-12: 59.2% (33rd)
2012-13: 45.3% (43rd)
2013-14: 55.9% (4th)
2014-15: 69.5% (6th)
2015-16: 71.0% (4th)
2016-17: 56.9% (12th)
2017-18: 58.5% (2nd)
2018-19: 60.2% (1st)
2019-20: 39.3% (42nd)
2020-21: 46.8% (19th)
2021-22: currently 36.9% (currently 83rd) - we are at our max because every returnee this year is playing more than last year

Correlation coefficient = -0.5155
For the non math teachers out there, this means there is a moderate to strong negative correlation between our Minutes Continuity and our end of season KenPom rating. As our Minutes Continuity goes up, our KenPom rating gets better. Linear probably is not the best model for the situation but it was the quickest for me to do.

For next year, our maximum minutes continuity if Jayden comes back would be roughly 74.3%. If he doesn’t, the maximum drops to 58.2%. Most seasons we are right around the rough maximum number that I could calculate.

Take from this what you want, I just thought it was an interesting thing to check out.

5 Likes

Maybe missing time because of Covid had something to do with that. I’d rather see any one of these kids earning minutes by doing work instead of waiting for something to fall apart. Looking at it realistically, nothing fell apart in CTB eyes from the 7 kids in front of Malachi. You can’t tell me highly recruited kids fell apart and that’s what keep them on the bench. They gotta learn man.

Zeb Jackson!

Doesn’t matter who we put on the court next season if we still have the same awful generic jerseys.

We really need Jerseys inherently unique to UVA like some of these other schools have. Or at least bring the old jerseys with the faded rotundas on the back. We have sucked ever since the new jerseys have been implemented and Im growing concerned over the possibility of no changes on that end.

3 Likes

When I abandoned the lost cause vs UNC for the lacrosse game vs UNC on the other channel, it was beautiful to see the guys in bright orange.

Our basketball uniforms that have dropped almost all orange are so drab and lifeless. Not unlike the play vs UNC.

1 Like

Tony is “old school” which by his definition means dark jerseys on the road, and whites at home. So, we are not playing on the road … which means no dark jerseys … but we are not playing a true home game either … which means no whites. So there’s really only one answer of what color jerseys we can wear…

(Btw, anyone see the clip when OKC and Memphis both came out in whites?)

3 Likes

The only answer then is orange.

2 Likes

The blue uniforms aren’t even the right blue. Navy blue, not UVA royal blue. Just a sign that we are a program in free fall.

Don’t even get me started on the font.

Edit: apparently it is Navy Blue? I always thought it was a more robust royal blue. The old blue jerseys had that less black, more true blue tone

1 Like

Got me to thinking…Ivy League doesn’t allow grad students (I think this is still the policy). Is Jaelin looking to play next year? How about here?

2 Likes

Solid Statline.

1 Like

Solid Statline.

[/quote]

Interesting. He can’t go back to Princeton since they don’t do 5th year ATH(?)

1 Like

Won the ACC regular season in them. Also, it generally takes a year+ to get a redesign pumped out. That said, I bet we see a different look in 23-24

1 Like

Correct - would have to transfer to play more.

It was indeed a solid statline and I was really excited for him during his recruitment. He’s been consistently safe with the ball, he figured out rebounding and drawing fouls his Sophomore year, and he seems to have gradually gotten better at shooting. His freshman year shooting % numbers were bad, they improved his soph year to “poor”, and then improved to “very good” this year (obviously losing his Jr year to Covid). His Asst% is fine/good for a “combo guard” sort.
I should probably view his shooting as on a good trajectory, but I think I’m still a little traumatized by Franklin’s year.

1 Like