2022-23 Lineup Conjecture fun

I think 38% would be much better than we got from him last year! My view on this % point is the same as the last time it came up: I don’t have a specific % in mind on this stuff.

3 Likes

38% can be good depending on the shot volume. Armaan was at a little over 11 3PA/100 possessions last season. 276 other D1 players who got significant rotation minutes (>40% of minutes) were at that many 3PA/100, and only 76 of them shot 38% or better.

2 Likes

Armaan, McKneely, Taine, BVP.

That doesn’t include Reece, but I’m hopeful that he will improve as well. And these are just two possible options that discount Jayden adding a respectable 3pt shot to his arsenal shot, nor did I work Traudt into any potential lineups.

1 Like

Traudt might be the best shooter on the team … Dunn is a good shooter too - if he plays.

2 Likes

Where you put McKneely here? I think McKneely is by far the best jump shooter on next years team (dont mean I am right)

This years team I guess i mean 22-23

5 Likes

All true in a vacuum… the issue for the Hoos is that we generate fewer possessions than anyone else in the country and most of our possessions end in a jump shot or turnover. So for uva to win at a high level - we have to shoot better than most other teams on jumpers because we get very few paint points on average…

3 Likes

I think McKneely will be the best contested shot shooter and Traudt will be the best open shot shooter… if Traudt gets consistent minutes he should get open looks playing the 4 or 5 as those dudes aren’t as good at contesting past the 3 point line.

2 Likes

Spot up shooter rankings guess with no research:

1. McKneely
    Gap
  2. Taine
  3. Traudt
    Gap
  4. Dunn
  5. Kihei
  6. BVP

All others huge drop off big time. These are if the dude is wide open from 3

3 Likes

I mean, we could worry about 3PT percentages all day, but it’s Friday afternoon. Let’s just admire Taine and his confidence.

May 6, 2022 - 3,492 likes, 39 comments - Virginia Men

8 Likes

Kind of funny … Beekman led the team last year in 3 point % in Acc games…. 97% of Clark’s threes were wide open … basically his whole career too. If Clark is better than BVP on open threes that likely means a big improvement… BVP took a ton of contested deep threes the last 4 years

5 Likes

That’s a good point. Emphasis on the no research part. BVP % i remember being bad but thought he was probably taking some late shot clock stuff, his stroke looks really nice

4 Likes

Also forgot about Reece here. I would slide him in that last group, but idk if id have him take a wide open one instead of any of the other guys unless it’s cuse or duke at the buzzer

4 Likes

Good chance Taine leads too as he is the only one who has only shot from the current three point distance the last 5 years… Could be an adjustment for the freshmen

4 Likes

That’s cool, but next level is admiring it even when you miss:

5 Likes

Reece!! will shoot 40 percent this year just on 2 or 3 a game though

7 Likes

Too lazy to find it, but there is a clip from when the Isaacs were visiting together and shooting with Noah’s Arc or whatever that thing is called. Watch it and I believe that you will concur that Traudt has a better open 3 shot than Isaac M. Who knows how it ill play out in game situations though. Agree that Isaac M’s jumper looks a bit like Kyle’s and gives him the extra height he needs to get a contested shot off somewhat cleanly.

It’s a cliché, but there is truth to the saying that shooting is contagious. Also, there’s a lot less pressure when you know that there are two or three shooters on the floor with you.

I think Reece, Armaan and Taine will all take a big step forward. Kihei has probably about reached his max, though maybe we can hope for him to extend his range. Then you add McKneely, BVP, and Traudt. And to @DavetheWave’s point, Dunn could be another arrow in the quiver depending on RS.

2 Likes

Its true. everyone gets involved and gets going. You know what is really contagious though? When your team starts missing FTs since you are expected to make them all

4 Likes

Good thing that never happens to UVA…

2 Likes

Traudt shot like 33% in AAU and high school play while McKneely shot over 40%. Traudt’s might look prettier but McKneely’s goes in more.

1 Like