2022-23 Out of Conference (non-ACC / non-UVa)

BVP confirmed as the best mustachioed player in CBB

10 Likes

75 game home win streak. Wow! And most of their conference games have been real close.

1 Like

Damn look at Coach Jones going hammer timeā€¦

7 Likes

Temple takes down #1 Houston.

Cougars were 19 point favorites.

10 Likes

Since Monday. 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, and 8 have all lost. Where do we land this week?
I am guessing somewhere between 6 and 8.

7 Likes

Im thinking 8. Weā€™ll jump Kansas, Gonzaga, and UCLA but probably get jumped by Zona.

4 Likes

Xavier lost to DePaul. Gotta jump them too. And #7 Texas lost. I think we go to 5 or 6. We were solidly ahead of Arizona last week. Not sure if they get extra bump from beating UCLA.

7 Likes

I remember listening to this guy when I lived in DC (early aughts), marveling that Gā€™town was doing a one-man booth for their radio. Do they still do this?

1 Like

Had the same thought first time I heard him call a game. No doubt homer of a call. But he was /is still solid.

1 Like

That Baylor win is starting to look reeeeaaalll good again.

17 Likes

Huh. KenPom picked Baylor and VT to win their respective games, Baylor by 2 and VT by 1.

1 Like

They had two of their guards out for a bit ā€¦ Flagler missed 2 games and Cryer missed 3 games so they had a dip ā€¦
They also had to play 3 games in a row against Iowa State (10th), TCU(17th) and K State(16th) and had a 1 point loss and an OT loss ā€¦

The Big 12 is absolutely brutal this year. Baylorā€™s final 5 games on their schedule are:

@ #9 KU
@ #5 K State
#10 Texas
@ OSU
#12 Iowa State

Whoever wins that conference this year will have earned it.

5 Likes

We are in echo chamber time for the rankings. If you werenā€™t perceived good before the season or in a Power 6 conferenceā€¦ itā€™s almost impossible to get back in the rankings.

Titus and Tate yesterday bashed the ratings based on how perceived power in any team loses its muster once conference play started. I commented on this several times before.

Because we have closed markets once conference seasons startā€¦ nothing can really be determined after the out of conference part of the year endsā€¦ and because most teams are not nearly as good as they are at the end of the yearā€¦ it skews the rankings forever.

Perhaps they should just cancel the AP and Coaches Pollsā€¦ the folks that vote on it hate itā€¦ and we have KenPom, Torvik, EvanMaya, etcā€¦ which avoids the recency bias and brand name bias.

5 Likes

Keep em and make em better. It wouldnā€™t even be hard

Heard that on Titus and tate. The issue there is embodied by the ACC 20-game schedule. Itā€™s way too many. Have fewer and add more non-con in Jan and Feb

The solutions are easy, the reasons we donā€™t do them are (cue Titus and tate) ā€œMoney! Duh.ā€ :wink:

7 Likes

Yep Haney and I have called for 18 ACC games so many times itā€™s tiring ā€¦ would open a whole week during January or Feb. for 2 Non con gamesā€¦ when everyone is closer to their peakā€¦

5 Likes

Yep next week is the SEC/Big 12 Challenge. Would love to see the ACC have time available for high level out of conference games this late in the season.

6 Likes

Of course, itā€™s all moot, because in a few years, weā€™ll just play a 28-game Big Ten / SEC schedule with JMU and Morgan State as our non-con. (I hope Iā€™m kidding).

7 Likes

chipotle GIF

2 Likes

I wonder if the Big 10 and SEC have had merger conversationsā€¦ Can you imagine? In some ways they need each other to play off Fox and ESPN, but they would become nearly the only game in town.

2 Likes