2022-23 Out of Conference (non-ACC / non-UVa)

Germ of a hypothesis of the odd state of college hoops this year (maybe the dreaded parity?)

• High level NBA talent largely absent/injured. Using Sam V’s latest mock, 3 of top 4 not playing college hoops, and 4 of top 6. Only 6 of 10 guys are in college hoops, and of those 6, one hasn’t played at all (Nick Smith) and two were dinged quite a bit (Whitmore and Whitehead). So that leaves 3 of those guys making a big impact on college hoops (Walker from Houston, Wallace from KY, and Miller from Bama). Compare to 2022, where the top 6 guys were all on tourney teams, and 8 of 10 were college guys, all in the tourney. In 2021, it was 3 of the top 4, and 7 of the top 10 playing in college (6 in the tourney). It’s not like 6 of 10 is SO far off from 7 or 8, but the top 3 guys are all elsewhere, and frankly Smith from ARK might just opt out, making it 5 of 10.
  • Combine that with the fact that the 5th year has become much more common (anyone have numbers on this?) and I think things seem a bit more topsy turvy than they have been.

Or maybe this is all wrong.

3 Likes
9 Likes

Makes sense. Gotta assume GB will love TBs input in any event

5 Likes

Emoni Bates scores 43 points for EMU in a loss to Toledo. Tough scene.

5 Likes

The Glass City will do you like that

2 Likes

Looks like EMU plays small ball 4 G, 1 F line-up

We’ve reached the point of the season where every Big 12 team is a final 4 contender, because every time they lose, they are losing to another final 4 contender. :face_vomiting:

At least it’s not the Big Ten anymore…

10 Likes

The Big 10 season is all about fighting for tourney seed so they can be crowned highest seed to be upset in the first weekend of the NCAA tourney.

The “loser” (lowest seeded Big 10 seed) gets the opportunity to be most hyped team in the First Four.

4 Likes

Literally guffawing … thanks man I needed that

5 Likes

The Big 12 did go 100-19 (84% win) in the non-con slate, next highest was Big Ten going 115-37 (76% win).

3 Likes

K State’s best win was over Nebraska?
and they lost to Butler by 12?

Texas lost to Illinois and went to OT vs Rice and their best win was over Gonzaga who lost to Loyola Marymount at home?

Iowa State lost to UConn by 18 and to Iowa by 19 and their best win was either over Villanova in OT or by 5 over UNC?

TCU lost to Northwestern State and their best win was over Providence (solid) or Utah (lost to UCLA and USC by a combined 34 points) or Iowa? And beat Ark Pine Bluff by 1

Baylor who beat UCLA - solid … but lost to Marquette by 26? And beat Gonzaga by 1 …

Kansas who beat Duke by 5 and NC State by 6 and Wisconsin in OT by 1 and Indiana by 22 and Seton Hall by 26 and Mizzou by 28 and lost to Tennessee by 14

And none of West Virginia, Oklahoma, Ok State or Texas Tech have really beaten anybody out of conference …

4 Likes

I see 2 Big 12 teams with good non-con resumes …

Their conference strength comes in the low-end; if you use Torvik’s site and filter by non-conference games only, the worst performing team is Oklahoma at #54. Contrast with SEC, which has South Carolina at #272 in non-con-only games, or B10 with Minnesota at #227. 8 out of 10 teams have more wins in their non-con than a bubble team (by Torvik’s ratings) would be expected to get.

Which conference do you think has a better non-con resume as a whole?

3 Likes

The Big 12 has no bad teams. But hoops analysts get confused/excited and want to say the “Big 12 has multiple great teams!!” and that’s where I quibble…

5 Likes

To be clear, Parrish and Norlander have a new podcast titled “the big 12 has 6 final 4 contenders” which is what I’m reacting to.

2 Likes

That’s fair, their teams that played the best in the non-con have been bottom half performers in conference games.

1 Like
4 Likes

Is it just me or does it seem like annually the Big East has a team that comes into conference play as a “Top team” and then proceeds to rack L’s in conference play.

1 Like

Pretty sure UConn did something similar to this in 2014 when they won the title as a 7 seed.

And yet kenpoem still has UConn ranked 6th, among a few other ridiculous teams ahead of us.

Maybe the human polls aren’t useless after all @haney

1 Like