2022 commits update and discussion thread

I love wings, but feels like our needs are more in pure guards and pure posts, currently. (Obviously pure guards need depends on what happens over the next few days).

1 Like

https://twitter.com/Andrew__Slater/status/1477417639458783234

5 Likes

Duck Fook.

This is one of those recruitments where I just don’t totally get it. I mean I do, in that he’s very good, and I guess you stay involved on the off chance he just falls in love with the grounds/receives a divine omen or something when he visits, but I’m pretty sure Jackson isn’t coming here.

I guess it doesn’t matter though as long as it isn’t dissuading any other guys we’re interested in. From what HGN has said it seems like the moves on other targets for that position won’t come until spring, so I assume we’re losing nothing/not undermining anything. But it makes me slightly uneasy.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/maxfeldman6/status/1477655932012269569?s=21
We won’t get him, but man is he good

2 Likes

*PI: How do you feel about the perception that UNC is the favorite for your recruitment? *

GJ: I feel like they’re definitely number-one on my list right now. It’s been a dream school since day one. My dad always had me in Carolina blue, but also I want to keep my options open, 'cause other schools have other ways to get me to the league and they also have good programs and stuff.

1 Like

I was about to post this article lol. He doesn’t even mention us in the schools involved. Please someone forward this to Williford so we can get Dylan James/Al Amadou. And we can get Daron Holmes/Trey Kaufman in the Transfer portal in the off season to pair with traudt behind Jayden Kadin.

Literally the only reason we are even in it probably is because GG’s dad is a pastor. The UNC board mentioned that and how he probably connects with Tony Bennett’s faith/why we keep being mentioned (they also do mention Hubert Davis strong in his faith but point out tony is pretty prominent in the college bball scene of wearing his faith on his sleeve). Yeah the deAndre Hunter/Mamadi comp is great but he talked about how he and his father were literally in tears when UNC offered. And Duke is now pushing with full staff visits pitching him to fill in the Paolo Banchero role. And GLeague is pushing hard now too and he’s listening apparently to their pitch. Along with Hometown South Carolina and their NIL pitches.

Gonna take a literal divine intervention for this to be anything more than passing time by until they can evaluate spring prospects.

7 Likes

The thing that always seems interesting me about this is, like, did the kid grow up watching Kennedy Meeks, and say, “Gee Dad, someday that’s gonna be me.” ? I mean, maybe. Maybe he did.

Like, I can understand a great guard dreaming of themselves in Carolina blue, but I can’t understand a forward dreaming of sitting behind Armando Bacot even though he’s better… But some people have weird dreams.

(Yes, I know Hubert is changing things, but the vibe here is definitely Carolina legacy, to which I say – kid, that legacy would not be so great for you, so be happy the dream your Dad has built up for you is not actually correct)

Brand indoctrination. We are all victims of it in one way or another.

6 Likes

I know this may be apples to oranges, but my whole family are Penn State alumni… so from the time I was cognizant of what college was, I was going to Penn State… no questions. Followed every sport (favorite basketball player in middle school/early HS was John Amaechi)… JoePa football was all my family would talk about.

Then I went on the prospective student tour and realized how HUGE that school was… someone asked where the freshmen lived and the guide said… “some most live in North Dorms, but some live in Central and West Dorms too.” I checked out right then.

At UVa… I asked the same question and the UGuide swept her finger between New and Old dorms and said “right here.” LOL!

So… not apples to apples as it wasn’t for the basketball pedigree, but I can see growing up w/ a dream school and it changing at the end.

Remember JWilly’s stories about Pitt… it was his dream school. Where did he end up going to play basketball???

16 Likes

Yeah, easy for me to say, because my daughter is only 2.5, but I’m a big fan of letting kids do what they do want to do, w/o trying to unduly influence. For example, my daughter loves Peppa Pig, and she didn’t learn that at all from my wife and me. Promise.

2 Likes

So I was introduced to Peppa Pig in the UK… my kids grew up w/ Peppa Pig and the original British Accent. It wasn’t until recently when I was hanging out w/ my toddler niece and she was watching Peppa Pig that I knew in the US the voices were changed to American accents. Mind = Blown.

I should’ve known. In the UK, they dubbed some American commercials w/ British accents… it always looked and sounded weird to me. The weirdest is when they dub American commercials into German where I live now… oh well… I guess it makes people feel better?

Edit: Blues Clues as well… I was introduced to Blues Clues w/ Kevin, British actor, hanging out w/ Blue.

2 Likes

Huh, we get the British accent here, too. I think that’s true even with Nickelodeon. We joke that she’s going to grow up with a British accent. :joy:

1 Like

Two of my three kids have slight British accents as they all went to a British International school until US 5th Grade equivalent (one is still there)… the other one decided to resist it and has a small German lilt… I’m not sure where he got that… but after he left the British School, he now goes to a Swiss System International school in Germany… no idea, we just go with it.

It got real when our middle child came home when he was 5 and told us his “Supply teacher had a poorly foot and had to go to A&E.” There were a lot of Google searches…

4 Likes

I tried to get my 3 year old to see that Walter White was actually the good guy. Didn’t take for some reason.

6 Likes

TFW you are looking for recruiting updates and stumble onto a thread about a British cartoon pig.

8 Likes

Laughed so hard I snorted a wee bit

3 Likes

British cartoon pig? I know he’s a heel, but I think that’s a bit over the line even for Kennedy Meeks.

2 Likes

Well I for one think we should should start our own Peppa Pig thread. My grandbabies would really think that Papa C is real cool

3 Likes

Can’t stand Peppa Pig. We basically have Octonauts & Trash Truck on a permanent loop.

4 Likes