2022 Dream Class

1 Like
2 Likes

The Dots playin pack line tonight?

5 Likes

Three quarter tony is impressive

2 Likes

Roane proly explode Q4 for 10 points and Coach Bennett will grimace at the lack of Dots D

10 Likes

No UVA mention. Does mention Michigan although they haven’t offered either. Seems to really want that Michigan Offer. Interestingly no Marquette mention although they did just offer. Of course I imagine if we do offer that could change things but it seems like we are not pushing as hard as we could be (staff most likely feels confident and okay with Nunez). Time to cross this one off the list me thinks.

1 Like

The worry wart in me thinks we’re falling into the 21 trap again. Too few targets. Nunez or bust. Traudt or bust. Where are the 5s? Where are the wings?

1 Like

I think we’ll be fine. Tony and staff are just now being able to really scout 2022 anyways. Jalen Warley and Peyton Watson, for example, skyrocketed from unranked to 5 stars in 2021 and that was without COVID impacting their entire scouting (only like half). There are a lot of very talented kids out there not on scouting radars (like Tyson Commander). Also with the transfer market we can be picky. If we miss out we just hit with a talented mid major freshmen or sophomore or a talented decommit.

The only personal quib I have is that I just personally prefer Trimble to Nunez, but my opinion means jack all LOL. And I can see why Tony has hesitations maybe with Trimble; kid is uber talented but Tony really like floor generals and Trimble leaves a lot of room for growth in that aspect so far. However Nunez’s game is pretty flat. He’s not bad by any means and he absolutely could be a stud under Tony and end up an NBA player/There of course are reasons why Tony seems all in on Nunez but from watching film and highlights, he doesn’t really seem that aggressive. He seems like the perfect point guard for passing it around on a mover blocker set but we really need a pg that can break down defenses attack the rim with physicality and create off that aggression. Nunez has that typical UVA basketball offensive passiveness feeling. And this is coming from someone who was absolutely ecstatic about the Ty Jerome recruitment when others weren’t sure if he had ACC athleticism (The tyland bombs and the moxie/swagger he had especially in one highlight where Jerome was playing in some random park and just posting people up and yapping).

Maybe someone has posted something similar and I missed it (if so I apologize for the redundancy) but just noticed the following info in an article on Bobby Hurley and Arizona State in The Athletic: “Hurley likewise drew inspiration from the manner in which Baylor coach Scott Drew built the roster that won the title. None of Baylor’s players were ranked in the top 50 of the Recruiting Services Consensus Index coming out of high school, and several transferred in from mid-major programs. At one point Hurley showed his players a clip of Baylor guard MaCio Teague diving over a chair to save a ball from going out of bounds, and then getting up quickly and sprinting across the court to contest a shot. 'That’s what winning basketball looks like, he told them.”

Just further emphasizes how you can build a championship team without the highest ranked recruits, although I acknowledge that Guy was in the top 50 and Jerome may have been, too, and we wouldn’t have won in '19 without them.

1 Like

Spring panic is like an annual tradition for UVA fans following recruiting. TB gets the players he zeroes in on early or what he finds in July. Very little between.

15 Likes

You can buy it’s way less common. UVA and Baylor are the only 2 recent champs without a consensus 5 star. Maybe that’s a sign things are changing since we are the last two winners :man_shrugging: But also have to acknowledge we had a lottery pick and another first rounder and Mitchell looks like a lottery pick and Butler a first rounder.

4 Likes

Now im reminiscing about Jerome’s recruitment.

We need all our players and future recruits to play in outdoor summer leagues with hype men to toughen them up. (also watching this film just strengthens my belief that Jordan Hall’s game is exactly like Ty Jerome’s)

11 Likes

Perhaps Tony should be more considerate of our needs and start getting commitments in the spring.

1 Like

agree with outdoor summer leagues but leave the annoying hype men at home. never liked playing in those NYC leagues except for the competition

2 Likes

Was that where “Milk” came from?

by the way thanks for that video

shhhhhhhh

Frankly I just want our final transfer locked down and worry about 22 in June

2 Likes

The look on the guys face at the 1:20 mark as he walks in front of the camera is priceless

1 Like

Wow I had not seen that video! This actually reminds me of a Ty Jerome interview earlier this season or maybe last year where he said his teammates called him Milk and I didn’t know what he was referring to. I don’t think he knew either- but it all makes sense now :+1:t5::+1:t5::+1:t5: