2022 Dream Class

Was also sickening is that we continued to recruit him after he visited us, vs Duke, sat behind our bench and clearly was pulling for the devils

2 Likes

Honestly I hope we find someone better. I’m very skeptical about Nunez.

3 Likes

Thought UM was the leader for McDaniel. Doubt they bring in 2 PGs, so one of them is SoL if they want to play for Howard.

Sure. I’m curious what your history of skepticism is?

I’m not sold on Trimble ability to shoot outside of 10ft - I haven’t seen he do it consistently. All dunks and drives.

Nunez is one of the best guard shooters in his class and guards that can shoot thrive in Tony’s offense.

5 Likes

Mainly that point guards should be able to dribble with both hands. Nunez is very much a ‘trust Tony’ recruit for me.

Is it a problem to only be able to dribble with one hand if you just walk the ball up the court? :thinking:

3 Likes

or just pass the ball around the perimeter?

1 Like

It’s now under two weeks until the Dead Period ends. How long after June 1st will it take for Virginia’s first new scholarship offers to be made public? I think I have a handle on things, but someone correct me if I am wrong. Assuming that Murphy stays in the draft and the staff is done for 2021, there will be three unused grants this year. (For no informed reason, I am guessing that the focus is now on 2022 prospects.) Stattmann, Clark, & Gardner will all have the option to return for the 2023 season. I could be mistaken, but my last understanding was that Stattmann’s and Clark’s scholarships would not be “counters” for 2023 if they do return. Gardner’s would. I have no idea how likely it would be for any of them to return, but I do sense that Stattmann would not, and that Clark is unlikely. I have no idea about Gardner. Depending on his role this year, I imagine Caffaro might consider taking his degree and going home. If everyone but Caffaro leaves, there will be seven available scholarships. UVa has one commitment (McKneely), and just three other outstanding offers, which are known. It appears to me that the staff has some work to do this summer.

4 Likes
5 Likes

Includes Sunrise Christian which has Bobi.

1 Like

Honest question does anyone here have a handle on the ramifications for their potential opponents? It is my understanding that HS players could lose their eligibility by participating in events with this league. Is that correct? What are the rules around this?

1 Like

My reading is that the individual players won’t be getting paid so they won’t be losing their eligibility. Seems to me that these schools are responding to Overtime both in the short and long term. Short term, it provides a compelling product (for high school basketball at least) to stave off eyeballs wandering towards Overtime and the G League to a lesser degree. It also provides a competitive advantage over Overtime in terms of attracting talent. Sure you can make money playing for Overtime, but you’re gonna be playing against weaker competition that may make your NBA stock weaker and by the way you aren’t college eligible anymore. Or you could go to one of the schools in this new league and show your stuff against top flight high school talent while leaving your options open for college. And you can start popping up on TV

Long term it leaves them really well situated should high school players be allowed to take money

3 Likes

Thanks! OK. No eligibility issues. So a team like Hargrave or Fork Union could play the Overtime team? Or whoever else they can get agreements with.

1 Like

I don’t see why not. Players will retain eligibility as long as they aren’t getting paid

1 Like

Interesting concept for sure. I actually like it.

Especially with NIL consequences raising its head. I’m guessing that won’t only be a college concern before too long, at least for the Emoni Bates’ of the world.

1 Like

Justyn Fernandez who we’ve reached out to. @HoozGotNext Would he be the combo guard or wing defender slot? Athletic.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPWu5VxjCU8/

1 Like

He had a big weekend in Hampton. Just another guy they’ll check out. Long way from being recruited to worry about where he fits in.

2 Likes

He looks really good

1 Like

I’ll say it! I would much rather have a prospect with this explosiveness, length, and shot than Keels. No, that’s not sour grapes!

4 Likes