2022 Fall Recruiting Thread: Gertrude Watch, Tony on the Road, and the 2024s

man so true but like Rakim said It aint where youre from its where youre at!

1 Like

Not trying to resurrect a Power discussion, but saw this and thought it constructive to reinforce what we’re up against recruiting against Duke.

https://chapelboro.com/sports/chanskys-notebook-power-of-duke

“As a private school with wealthy alumni and corporate money pouring in from all over the country, Duke has been set up for years to bring in millions for virtually anything it needs. Now, players can be paid, so no new collectives need to be established.”

Good overview, and I’ll note that while there was no way to confirm it, though this quote would seem to support it, a very active Duke alum told me in Seattle several years ago that Duke had a $100M Brotherhood Fund to support players. Part of the insinuation was they would take care of players AFTER they left Duke if they didn’t make the NBA - and thereby not violating pre-NIL recruiting rules.

Maybe I’m off, but in my mind it’s part of a strategy to use Duke Basketball to build the Duke school brand as a whole.

6 Likes

Toy Story Goodbye GIF

7 Likes

I think we resurrect as TJ Power Minutes Watch during the upcoming season

7 Likes
1 Like

Super talented big. Dont see the fit with Buchanan on board/Would prefer our big in 2024 to be Luke Bamgboye or a Trey Murphy type wing-forward

2 Likes

a point guard. The UVA implications are this might take Baylor out of the running for that Daniel Freitag kid out of Minnesota. Freitag’s top two were assumed to be Baylor and Wisconsin.

2 Likes

Wisconsin is the presumed leader, you say…

fox broadcasting GIF by Lucifer

10 Likes

In all seriousness, thanks to the (TJ) powers that be for leaving that thread up for a day of much needed venting and complaining. It was therapeutic.

7 Likes

What is Tony’s angle with Cosby right now given that it is very unlikely we’d get him and Gertrude? Is he putting pressure on Gertrude to commit soon, showing respect to Cosby since he visited, actually watching someone else for ‘24, believing he can actually get both, nothing better to do and not too far from cville?

4 Likes

They are going full court press for both. They would take Cosby if he committed and move on just like they would take Gertrude and move on.

I think because Gertrude gets talked about a lot here and there has been more activity with him we see Gertrude in that light. But in buggin HGN I believe he said staff would be happy with either.

Gertrude hasn’t committed yet so you still have to recruit

10 Likes

I feel worse and worse about Gertrude with each passing day

4 Likes
9 Likes

Oats is there too

1 Like

Before TJ Power even had an offer from Duke and UVA legitimately felt good, they were still full on recruiting Milan and had Justin Anderson chatting him up at NBPA top 100 camp.

You always recruiting.

12 Likes

Oh yeah Alabama and Tennessee (strong connections in the area where Word of God is and Dilione just committed) are going to be heavy factors. And Wake Forest is still tailgating in the school’s parking lot.

Im guessing Tony will be at Hudson Catholic Sunday to check in on Gertrude.

3 Likes

Yeah, I think this is the key. Gertrude is awesome and I really hope he ends up a Hoo.

But until a player commits, the staff cannot assume the player will end up coming. If there’s another player the staff likes for the same spot, it’d be irresponsible to NOT keep recruiting both of them at 100%.

10 Likes

In this transfer era, always good reason to keep up interest until the end, especially a local kid. Maybe he goes to bama and becomes the next Braxton for us, who knows

8 Likes

yup. Relationship building also an important part of recruiting. A lot of the reason why they get into recruitments where it’s obvious the kid isn’t going to UVA first round. Transfer portal or networking with coaches for another prospect.

7 Likes

Huh. I find this very interesting that it’s CTB. Tells me Gertrude didn’t hush hush commit over the weekend like I assumed he would/did. Tony would be elsewhere and JWilly would be making the last pitch if that was the case. So, as you said, always keep recruiting

4 Likes