2022 Fall Recruiting Thread: Gertrude Watch, Tony on the Road, and the 2024s

Man I really do not like Tennessee at all! Xavier is on their tails but Tennessee has surpassed Kansas as a thorn in our side.

Ugly color of orange as well

4 Likes

Well it happened this year with London Johnson as well in that we didn’t recruit anybody (or atleast it wasn’t as apparent), besides him. We wasted alot of time on Keels as well last year, so it happens enough.

Besides that I can’t believe in the *entire basketball playing *World, Tony could only have liked Powers and Momcilivic. He just spent a lot of time on them which meant that he couldn’t spend time scouring the rest of the planet looking for some other players.

In other words once TJP began leaning dook, if Tony and co. were made aware over the last 1-2 months then we should have seen more of an uptick in other small forwards. The fact that we didn’t just shows me that TJP played us the whole time, OR TB and company were oblivious to those signals.

Edited to Add- In order to avoid similar issues in the future where dook, UNC, or other competitive schools in the ACC are trying to “fairly” damage our program by either anti-recruiting, or taking our players and storing them on bench then we cannot go *all-in on one player. I know how some kids “say” that it makes them feel special, BUT for UVA and the program it’s not the best sales or closing technique. I think we really need to use more scarcity tactics so that we stand out and reiterate that our spot WILL NOT remain open just for them.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/houston_wilson1/status/1568347176849252353

1 Like

What is up with this? Is this like some specific Cosby thing he wanted or a new trend? TB ain’t going out at midnight haha

15 Likes

Nah saw Baylor did it for a kid too.

2 Likes

Are the HCs actually going at midnight or are the assistants drawing straws?

Steve Forbes was there at midnight it was reported. Others assistants I assume.

2 Likes

Are they making a line at the door?

2 Likes
1 Like

Dang didn’t know Bruce pearl knows sally Yates like that

I liked Steve Forbes better when we were sharing a couch in CNBC’s nook studio green room at 30 Rock a decade ago. He was eating a supersized Big Mac meal before going on Squawk on the Street.

Oh wait, wrong Steve Forbes.

(True story though, and surreal — at least until the infamous White House fast-food party for Bama.)

6 Likes

Seeing the crystal balls drop for Elijah Gertrude to Virginia.

Smart player, who understands spacing and has an exceptional first step to get a bucket.

Not sure we’ve had a player quite like him before, but I can see Gertrude playing a similar role as the great Malcolm Brogdon, who could drive to the bucket whenever needed.

Dude can finish.

13 Likes

I feel like the ncaa is gonna pass a new rule forbidding these midnight visits, just a weird look, these are still kids that have high school early in the morning

5 Likes

In about 10-15 years or so, these players will be like, “ yeah, I shoulda known coach so and so wasn’t right in the head when he showed up on my front porch at midnight.”

8 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/CiTfjtwOdKB/

9 Likes

WRT to Elijah Gertrude’s recruitment: I just noticed that Kansas has extended over 50 scholarship offers to members of the 2023 high school class. They have one commitment. Can it be that the impending NCAA sanctions are have a detrimental effect on Jayhawk recruiting? Among other things, over half of those offered have committed to other schools or indicated they will turn professional. Of those uncommitted, only four are labeled “warm”. I wish that Gertrude wasn’t one of those, but he is. Regardless, if Kansas gets hammered by the NCAA, as seems likely, then maybe Bill Self will need to lower his sights from prospects Coach Bennett is pursuing.

2 Likes

Maybe there is a log jam at Kansas? They’ve had two straight classes of 4-5 players (4 star types that likely aren’t OAD) and are active with transfers. And I don’t think Self has been allowed to recruit all summer so that probably hurts.

4 Likes

Crazy Laugh GIF

5 Likes

Oh the guy with Tony wasn’t Vandross.