2022 Recruiting Offers (New Thread)

He runs and dribbles a lot like Dre’ and he shoots like Reggie Bullock from UNC (a little bit low, but obviously very good).

2 Likes

We once got a 6’9 Jay Huff to commit at the same age.

At the time, most sites listed Huff as 6’10". Granted, listed heights are often inflated.

4 Likes

He was probably over 6’10 by then really. This is why 6’9 is engrained in my mind. Puts into perspective how much recruiting coverage has changed. it was normal back then to just feed your commitment to a reporter who’d tweet it. No videos or edits, no quotes for timed story releases by Rivals and 247Sports. Seems strange now.

5 Likes

Guards who can both dribble and shoot please. Won’t be picky about the other traits

5 Likes

Speaking of how things change, Huff had the worst first highlight video I’ve ever seen. It was like a cut up of all the things he needed to work on at the time. No way a player would drop something like that these days.

4 Likes

What the heck … That kid is using people. If he were 6’5" the kid would be a stone cold killer. Entertaining to watch though. He will play somewhere.

1 Like

In comparing our current recruiting targets, I went back and watched some videos for Dre, Kyle, and Ty. Omigosh, if folks want to see what we should be looking for, check those out. They are a veritable buffet of slashes into the lane, dunks in traffic (not Ty, but yes Kyle, and holy cow Dre), nifty no-look passes, long-distance bombs, and boatloads of swagger. Those guys could do it all. So when I see current recruits in a video doing one thing over and over, I question whether they have diversity to their games. Some folks say that’s just because it’s a highlight video - but the biggest wow comes from seeing a player do everything well. I encourage everyone to check out the old stuff, it’s quite a treat. Probably emphasizes why those guys were so good so quickly at UVa, and Jay needed some more development time.

6 Likes

Definitely agree that Ty, Dre and Kyle were very high-level 4-stars, and had a level of shot creation that proved immensely valuable.

I will say that Taine Murray and Isaac McKneely show elements of this shot creation/ability, and are in the same ranking range (50-75) as those 3. I think Taine will suprise next year- in his clips, he really demonstrates ability to run hard off of screens, make contested shots, and most importantly, drive and create/finish effectively.

4 Likes

I think that it’s also important to note that Hunter was coming off a major injury from high school. If I recall, he was really torching big time prospects like Josh Jackson and Miles Bridges in AAU ball. I suspect he may have climbed to a five star had he not gotten hurt

4 Likes

While his ranking was probably not going to change, people forget Ty missed most of his senior season with double hip surgery.

4 Likes

Any news on the Traudt visit? Curious what the timelines for commitments, here or otherwise, is for our main targets? Traudt seems the furthest along, Klintman perhaps the least of the bunch. Ready for some positive recruiting news after a rough week on the court.

3 Likes

I’d suspect Traudt to take his time. I think he knows he’s in the midst of a blow up and wants to let those schools give their shot at him. Key for us is keeping it at just a shot, and closing it down before the big fish get in deep

5 Likes

Kentucky fans want this kid bad.

Louisville, Virginia, Iowa and Indiana have reached out so there are some good schools that have reached out and I am just going to enjoy every minute of it."

5 Likes

Double Kentucky legacy? Sounds like a wrap if they offer.

1 Like

I was a big fan of Jeff Sheppard. Terrific player. Could really get off the ground. Played on their 1996 championship team. Antoine Walker, Nazr Mohammed, Tony Delk, Walter McCarty. That team was loaded.

2 Likes

Syracuse offered Maliq Brown. They’re going for the UVA backyard package with Justin Taylor.

2 Likes

Did you see where Cade thinks he’s better or will be better than Amari and Mamadi…was that a subtle version of jumping up and down and waving his arms to Tony?

2 Likes

Part of a high school coach’s job these days, hyping their kids. I would agree that he’s better than Mamadi at the same age, but truthfully Mmadi wasn’t that great at that stage. It’s just that his potential was enormous and plain to see.

1 Like

Man if that’s true freaking offer him as a 2021 and get him on Grounds. We need to restock that athletic forward pipeline ASAP.

3 Likes

From the highlight film, I had a hard time judging Maliq Brown’s athleticism, particularly his bounce/jump-re-jump. Mamadi was pretty raw and painfully thin in HS, but his athleticism - in bounce, lateral movement, and endurance - was off the charts. How does Maliq compare? Any others out there like that?

5 Likes