2022 Recruiting

Forgot to mention Tyler Nickel at the top. He came to the JMU game this year.

4 Likes

Why are we recruiting a kid in Cali when we have some serious talent in VA, Maryland and North Carolina? The Boo Willians statement is not true by the way. Ask Justin and Devon plus several more like Chase. Again I have my reasons for saying what I said about the 22 kids. Just the east coast alone is enough tu fill our need in 22 for PG. That kid in Cali is not coming all the way tu UVA.

1 Like

My point have nothing tu do with instate recruiting ONLY. I said the class of 22 is loaded with PG in our region. We don’t need tu waste time with a kid in Cali. The entire East Coast is OOZING with top 22 PG. Va have several as well. I don’t want any more international players personally. Other than that, I don’t care where kids come from. As long they can ball.

1 Like

I beg to differ Tu. Pace of play and style Issues appear to come from this group. Chase is a recruited walk-on, Devon’s brother was already here, and Chase’s brother seemed to be discouraged to go to UVA. We don’t have very much success from several staffs with Boos kids. Now we don’t have to make a living with them when we dominate the same prospects at UNC and are now being competitive with Duke.

1 Like

What is Boo’s crews issue with UVA?

They love Jason and have no issue with TB. When it come tu pg play. UVA dont allow their PG tu display individuality. We are tu systematic. Thats why im so curious tu see Reece play.

2 Likes

I never heard of Tyler Nickel. Im not sure what tu think after watching his video. I love his attitude and confidence. But something is making me say caution. Im just not sure what it is. I will ask my people about him.

Thanks for the input. I don’t understand why we haven’t recruited Ryan Mutombo, Dikembe’s son. He has publicly stated that he would like to hear from in his words “UVA, UNC, and Kentucky, the big three”. He appears to be seeking a strong academic program and I don’t think that it’s a sure thing that he will follow in his father’s footsteps to Georgetown.

My last time saying this. We will get Reid and most likely Keels. Im worried about Villanova but not much.

9 Likes

Tu, what worries you most about Villanova? Just a little more “free” playing style? Our crowded roster?

We have been in touch with Mutombo. I have read about it in a couple of places. I’m sure he is someone we are keeping in touch with. HGN would probably know a lot more about it than I do

Tu - I LOVE you. Never stop posting here. Being real means good news as well as not so good. Your countacts, knowledge and perspective are always welcomed by me.

9 Likes

I think the main problem with other fan sites… whether UVa or another school/team… is there seems to be an air of negativity that runs through them due to a minority of toxic posters that sabotage posts. This is the first site I have not seen that happen almost at all.

For those that have been attacked on other sites, there is a sense of trepidation to post anything that would bring out those troll posters… to the point of being jaded. This is the only site I will post on due to the overall positivity of the community.

10 Likes

I appreciate your input and value your perspective. Thanks! However, I look at “playing within a system” as an advantage. I am reminded of the “system” that Jordan developed under Dean at UNC.

Wait, four corners was a good thing for Jordan’s development or am I missing sarcasm?

1 Like

Back in the day, it was said the only thing that prevented Walter Davis from scoring 30 ppg in college was Dean Smith. (Or, something like that.) Carolina did have a “system” which put the reins on individual creativity. Personally, I think they still have a “system”. It’s different from Virginia’s, but it is there nonetheless. It may be one that is more “frosh friendly”, but UNC also does much better with upperclassmen. The past two years, they have been awfully young, and their fastbreak hasn’t been what it was a few year ago.

1 Like

Yes, they are pretty good at developing bigs but they also get bigs who are already pretty talented.

I agree, Deano was frustrating with the 4 corners but he could also develop prospects. You have to give him that. I am not a Dean Smith apologist either. Just like with Bennett, Dean placed a premium on possessions and a higher level of efficiency.

I think we could be a major player with Mutombo but feel we are reaching higher.

Eh, I watched unc in Dean’s day but I was too young to recognize or consider strategy or a system. Based on that limited memory though and compared to Bennett, there’s a huge difference to stressing defense and valuing and seeking the best shot possible (Bennett) and gaining a lead and passing the ball for 10 minutes (Smith.)

Agree that Roy certainly does seem to do better developing bigs though, regardless of how talented they are when they arrive.