2022 Recruiting

Dean Smith was the best in game coach I ever played against. They had exact same system and plays and ran them at maybe 3/4 speed but believed it would win. Then depending on what we had (opposition) going good he adjusted at half and through the last 20 minutes.

If that doesnt work he just turned the lights out in Charlotte for few 20 minutes. hahahah

7 Likes

Back in January of '74, Virginia was having its way against UNC in the first half. Gerard and Walker were both on fire, as I recall (Gerard had separated Bobby Jones from his jock on two occasions). In the second half, Smith came out with a “triangle and two”, and it shut UVa down. I don’t think I’ve ever seen that defense actually work, before or since, but it did that night. That was about when I decided that Gibson was never going to be a match for Dean Smith.

2 Likes

https://www.si.com/college/recruiting/basketball/caleb-houstan-blog-montverde-covid-19-quarantine-nba2k-ncaa

“My recruitment is cool for now; college coaches can’t hit me directly until June 15, but through my coaches I know that the schools that are reaching out right now are North Carolina, Virginia, Oregon, Michigan and Gonzaga; there are more, but those are the bigger ones.” I had no idea SI did players blogs or he might just be a unique case. Hopefully, he stays in 2022 (Seems like trending towards 2021),but he was underrated for Monteverde imo. 6’ 7’’ shooter.

3 Likes

He’s got a smooth stroke…also, that Monteverde squad was absolutely STACKED!! this yr…

tu who are the 2022 guys I should be looking out for in VA? I’ve heard about McDaniel and I know Hand is 2022. Man, I remember seeing Donald on the bus or around grounds and now his son is a possible recruit.

I would keep a close eye on Caleb’s recruitment also!

1 Like

Not Tu, but I’d say the list of any in state guys to keep an eye on would be as follows, but hopefully others add to it:
2022: Dug McDaniel-PVI, Jayden Epps- King’s Fork, Donald Hand Jr.- Landstown, Justin Taylor-STAB, Tyler Nickel- East Rockingham, Maliq Brown- Blue Ridge School, and Alphonso Billups- Varina.

2023: John St. Germain- STAB, Dennis Parker Jr.- John Marshall, Curtis Blair Jr.- Steward, Steven Stinson Jr.- Trinity.

By no means is this a list of who UVA will recruit, but just a first attempt at identifying some of the high level talent in the Commonwealth. Surely left some guys in NOVA out,. But hope others fill in the void there.

4 Likes

Great list. Those are all national names but there are a few more. Caleb Houston is going tu reclassify. So he most likely wont be a 22 kid. I cant wait for the 23 class.

Tu, I really like Houstan! What are you hearing? It seems we may be in the running when all is said and done.

He just told you, that he’s likely going to reclassify to 21. He will also likely head to a school with a history of Canadian recruiting ties. See Duke, Gonzaga, etc.

John St Germain is a national recruit?

I felt like he will reclassify also but what I meant was what he felt about Virginia’s involvement / chances. What he’s hearing in his circles.

Caleb is a fan and respect TB and UVA. I been telling people this for a few years now. The kids that are in HS now, only know UVA as a winner. So our program is starting tu ring bells. Than you add that we are producing NBA players and MODIFYING our offense. Which was a huge issue with prospects and their inner circle at one time. Its still being used against UVA but its not as big of a factor anymore. Add all that plus more. UVA is considered a top program now and respected. I do not know Caleb. I hear he is a very good student. His teammates told me he is mad cool and humble. At least the three I know. LOL But he will not be a Hoo in 21 or 22. He most likely will take the fast track route and go somewhere he can be more of a factor as soon he hit campus. Plus we wont need him. LOL

6 Likes

Thanks Tu! Speaking of our offense, targets in recruiting may be indicative of a shift away from a more traditional set. Utilizing less often a traditional “back-to-the basket” 4, more 4 guard, 3 wing, or at least a “face-up” or “combo” 4.

So Tu - we get Trevor, Efton and another 2/3 that is maybe a redshirt. That means 3 open schollies for 2022 and I think 2 for 2023 (probably more but can’t count on more). Give me your picks for the spots, based upon fit and reality, in constructing the roster. No right or wrong, but I’m liking your REAL thoughts.

1 Like

Love the point about modifying our offense - how we have utilized ball screens for Ty and Kihei’s skillsets shows Tony can fit his scheme to the talent that he has.

Also more of an aside point on offense, but the coaches have the building blocks to construct a really interesting offense. By combining concepts of CBS and mover-blocker, it really begins to resemble a lot of the motion offenses that NBA teams are adapting. We really didn’t have the offensive talent to showcase much last year, but I do believe that the idea of UVa running an antiquated offense can be broken down as we continue to build out our offensive sets.

2 Likes

I really cant predict what UVA may do in the class of 22 and especially 23. I have no relationship with UVA. Now I could tell you how some 22 and a few 23 kids feel about UVA. But this is not a place for me tu do so. I have my circle. Plus we can have attrition or guys going pro. I will never speak on stuff I don’t have some clue about. Knowing what UVA will do in 22 is something I have no clue about.

3 Likes

Any updates on Devin Dinkins?

I did a search and saw @HoozGotNext posted a note on 29 Feb on the old State of the Trail thread where he references an unofficial visit by Devin Dinkins through a tweet by Pat Lawless…

I just found this buried in the HOOPGATE feed and I don’t think it was mentioned a few weeks ago when it was tweeted out…

https://twitter.com/hoopgate/status/1256984778689122305?s=20

3 Likes

Not really. He’s someone they’ll evaluate.

I get the feeling this kid’s recruitment is going to take off fast when coaches can see him… First high major offer. Had none from any level when he came to the Duke game.

2 Likes