2022 Recruits and the Summer Calendar

7 Likes

Also held 5* Jarace Walker to 5 points in one game

2 Likes

Exactly the type of player Iā€™ve hoped we would take a chance on. Good height, frame, and athleticism. Pretty good skill. But for some reason has not caught on, maybe a late bloomer. Fits our Meyinsse, Mitchell, Atkins mold.

7 Likes

Reportedly, Barlow holds offers from Pitt, Rutgers, Providence, and Fairleigh Dickinson, among others. Apparently, no one from Rivals or 24/7 has seen him play as neither service shows any evaluations. Intriguing. Due to the pandemic, I suspect there will be a number of really nice prospects showing up this summer who have gone relatively unnoticed. Certainly, unnoticed by the fans.

3 Likes

How much long-term potential does Traudt have? Nebraska isnā€™t exactly known as a hotbed for high school basketball. If we really want him, and get him, fine, but if he isnā€™t interested, hey, heā€™s a big-time prospect fromā€¦Nebraska(?)

I feel like somebody is negatively recruiting against us in Virginia because Iā€™d say itā€™s harder for us to recruit players we want in Virginia than in any other state. I guess players in Virginia hear the negative recruiting more than players anywhere hear it, concerning our reputation as a team that holds teams down offensively with our defense, but we have this image of being a very slow-paced team on offense.

And once you get that image, opposing recruiters arenā€™t going to let players forget it, even if you change. I feel that Tony Bennett has opened up our offense more: I mean, we shoot as many three-pointers as any program in college basketball does. Donā€™t get me wrong: Tony is a brilliant coach. Look at the way he had our players ready to be smart off and on the court this past year, as far as avoiding the virus.

I saw a video of this 2022 player from New Jersey that we recently started recruiting, and this guy looks like one of the best high school players Iā€™ve seen in several years, even though he only is a 3-star. The 6-7 guy, but he looks taller than that.

1 Like

I think it is largely a non-issue. First, I donā€™t think it is so much about the pace of play as it is about the freedom to create. Secondly, such negative recruiting only works on players who donā€™t want to play in a disciplined offense. Those prospects are unlikely to be good fits, anyway. So long as Coach Bennett and company can present their vision of how a player is to be utilized, let the negative recruiters say what they will. I imagine it only works on players who werenā€™t likely to commit to Virginia in the first place. Or, so I would think.

4 Likes

I agree. So many of the comments I have read from prospects that commit to Virginia speak of CTBā€™s faith, the pillars and the ability to get them ready for pro ball and learning how to defend.

3 Likes
5 Likes

First offer when the staff gets out to see players in person

2 Likes

I get it that these are highlights, and you can take them only so seriously, butā€¦
Jameel Brown has some range!

2 Likes

Can see why heā€™s ranked around where he is. Seems to have deep range, solid jump shot, good size for his position, and is crafty, but also doesnā€™t get more than few inches off the floor most of the time, and - at least from clips - not clear he is adept at finishing with his left hand yet. Lot of potential though.

He was ranked higher (top 60 I think) and was even invited to team USA camps but missed a season before covid with an injury, hence the drop and lack of pick up.

4 Likes
3 Likes

Does Traudt arrive tmrw?

Yeah McKneely and Traudt will be there tomorrow

18 Likes

Big Weekend starts tomorrow I believe.

Sights to see for Isaac Traudt:
Ms Kathy
The location formerly known as the Qdoba on the corner.
Dumpling Cart
JPJ

Am I missing anything?

4 Likes

White Spot

My statue.

17 Likes

Overrated. There I said it.

1 Like

Agree but you cant actually say it

10 Likes