2023 ACC Football Offseason & Coaching Carousel

I would not be upset if our program fired our OC in January man kitchens is awful

6 Likes

Looks like we’ve promoted Adam Mims from analyst to WR coach. Has prior experience at Chattanooga, Tennessee Tech, and Presbyterian.

Don’t know how I feel about this hire, probably leaning more towards disappointment but also understanding of what Elliott is trying to do. There were reports we were interested in Latrell Scott from ECU who previously coached here under London and Taylor Stubblefield who was recently let go by PSU and replaced by Hagans. Both have significantly better resumes than Mims but maybe Tony sees potential in him to be better than both (and also an opportunity to save our athletic department some money).

3 Likes

Another positive spin (or at least “understanding it” spin) is that if you are going to have all these analysts on staff, you probably at least want to create a pathway for their advancement if/when merited. He’s not that young, has some experience doing this, has some experience with Elliott, and has a year here with the offense.

3 Likes

Was concerned about the direction of my beloved football program was headed now I’m close to being apathetic.
Stubblfield felt like a home run hire.
Smmfh

It’s extremely wishful thinking but I’m hoping this move was made in part so we can add Brandon Streeter as a senior analyst. That would be a massive addition, though I’m sure he’s being vetted by a host of programs.

1 Like

The way I view it, either Tony turns the ship around by year 3 or it all comes crashing down and we have to reset again. We’re already fucked until NIL is reigned in (and that’s honestly an “if”) so my expectations aren’t too high.

Will say that regardless of if he works out here or not, Tony will always have my utmost respect for how he handled himself and the program in the wake of the shooting. As a person he is an incredible representative of UVA and I very much want him to succeed here.

10 Likes

Don’t get me wrong. I agree it’s definitely a very “meh” hire. I heard someone mention the possibility of moving Gaither to WR and hiring a ST coach, which seemed like an elegant solution.

I’m a bit surprised that the loss of Hagans was taken SO badly by the fanbase. Don’t get me wrong, I figured if he left, it would be taken badly, but it seems to have been taken like really really badly.

I think my general feeling on the program over the past 10 years has remained roughly the same (fairly apathetic), but I think others have taken more of a roller coaster…

But everything around the program does feel super, super weird right now, for obvious on and off field reasons.

1 Like

Personally I loved Biscuit as a WR coach. I don’t think he was ever a great recruiter which is why I question Franklin’s reasoning behind deciding to bring him in (Penn State fans’ main complaint with Stubblefield was that he couldn’t land high 4 and 5 star players), but he is an elite level eye for talent and developer of wide-framed WR’s. So it’s a really tough loss in that regard, but also to lose a former star QB for us on the field who by all accounts bleeds orange and blue is pretty damn difficult to stomach. I mean there were some that wanted him to step in as HC after Bronco left.

There were also some rumors about animosity between Elliott and Hagans that lead to more handwringing about his departure, but honestly I think those were just an attempt to stoke flames so I’m not giving them any credence.

3 Likes

I’ve probably said before, I get most of my football opinions from listening to Brad Franklin’s podcast, and they discussed this a lot. They said it was noticeable how much the OL and WR rooms got the brunt of the criticism in Elliott’s pressers. And that could have been tough to take.

In any event, you’re probably right about year 3. Barring something extreme, Elliott has 3 years to put this together…

you should give them credence.

and since the WR room was ALL IN on biscuit, i imagine that trickled down.

1 Like

Coach Tony is scrambling like a wild man for sure. He has a monumental task ahead of him. Almost all of it unrelated to anything he has done or not done.

1 Like

Hope folks are patient. Give him time to build. The offensive line departures alone are a significant hill to climb. Will take more than 3 years. Year 1 should start his 3rd year at UVA.

2 Likes

So… football schedule announced?

Virginia

• Sept. 2 – Tennessee (in Nashville)
  • Sept. 9 – James Madison
  • Sept. 16 – at Maryland
  • Sept. 22 – NC State
  • Sept. 30 – at Boston College
  • Oct. 7 – William & Mary
  • Oct. 21 – at North Carolina
  • Oct. 28 – at Miami
  • Nov. 4 – Georgia Tech
  • Nov. 9 – at Louisville
  • Nov. 18 – Duke
  • Nov. 25 – Virginia Tech
3 Likes

Do we win 3 games? I’ve got Tennessee at - 37 in the first game.

2 Likes

Eyeballing it, I think the O/U will probably be 2.5 and I might take the under.

If it’s 3.5 taking the U would be a slam dunk.

1 Like

This is where I am at too. The response to the likely game 1 outcome will be telling.

I think the O/U will sit at 4.5ish and right now Id take the under. But depending on the odds I could take the O for the action

The 2024 schedule is probably harder than the 2023 schedule. If by turning the ship around you mean more wins than 2022/2023, then maybe, but I’m not optimistic. I haven’t looked at the 2025 schedule, but that might be the first year we can really consider bowl eligibility as a realistic goal.

2 Likes

I think you’d have to see wins a bit as a function of strength of schedule, and not just pure counting stats. Also, I’d think other trend lines will be important – recruiting, fan interest, ticket sales, vibes, etc.

4 Likes

Yeah. I mean, so far I’m a little underwhelmed by how good a coach Elliott is but I’m very impressed by how good a man he is, and that second one is gigantically more important to me still.

It’ll gradually move back to the former, but it’ll take a while. Expecting him to turn things around in 2 seasons starting now is probably asking too much. 2025 is more likely.

4 Likes