2023 Baseball

ACC Tourney seeding = conference record

NCAA Tourney = heavily RPI reliant but not exclusively. Wins, conference record, etc. have more weight as you get deeper into the field and cut line. For hosting, you also have to bid to host and have adequate hosting facilities (low bar since Maryland hosted last year but ODU’s facility in its current state does not qualify). So the quality of your host bid matters somewhat too and if you don’t bid to host you aren’t going to host.

An RPI team that’s 5-5 in conference series in a power conference, however, will most often get seeded below a 16ish RPI team with a winning series record in a power conference.

And how you finish matters a lot.

So this is wild… and i don’t really get being on college baseball… is really great action?

3 Likes

Man, west coast college baseball really not doing too well as of late.

1 Like

Oh man just catching up on this story. First; how great is it that this all started in Cincinnati Ohio AT Great American Ball Park?!?!?

Second, at first glance it certainly seems like Bohannon was doing something shady to get some quick cash, which makes me think he likely is in to something else and was pressed enough to think this may be the way out.

Third, all action is good action if you’re up for it. However, going back to my above point, I think this has less to do with the action and more to do with what Bohannon can control.

2 Likes

Mini resurgence this year with teams like Fullerton, Santa Barbara, Arizona State, and Irvine showing a pulse. But Stanford and Oregon are the only teams west of Dallas Baptist/Oklahoma State with a chance to host to prove your point.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/UVA/status/1654875672521633795

3 Likes

Teel at #6
Gelof at #34
Farmelo (UVA commit) at #38

6 Likes

https://twitter.com/UVABaseball/status/1656387047836499971

Big game from Gelof who is now just 5 RBI off his single season record set last season. And he’s just 10 off the pace of the all time career RBI lead.

Ethan Anderson just needs one more double, I think, to tie the single season record there that’s currently held by Stephen Bruno (2012 season) and Dan Street (2002 season).

The Hoos also completed the non-conference portion of the schedule at 25-0. They’re the first team in D1 to go undefeated in non-conference play since Texas A&M in 2015. The last ACC team to do so was back in 2010 (team not mentioned during broadcast, or I missed it).

7 Likes

This is one of those awesome, UVA 40 year decision stories that we eat up as fans.

https://twitter.com/ARamspacher/status/1656397001087496195

7 Likes

@KarlHess - any idea why O’Connor used two of his usual weekend starters in the Radford game? I know the team hasn’t played for several days because of exam. Nevertheless, Edgington usually starts the first game of weekend series (Friday this weekend). He only threw 16 pitches but that still makes me wonder if he’ll be ready to start on Friday. More significantly, Jack O’Connor pitched 3 innings and threw 34 pitches. He pitched well, but it seems unlikely that he could do much more than that in his usual Sunday starting slot. Do you think Coach O’Connor is planning a bullpen game or games for the weekend? Or possibly thinking about moving Connely Early into the weekend rotation? (He threw fewer pitches than O’Connor.) Just curious what you think.

2 Likes

Could mean Berry gets a start this weekend?

1 Like

I think it signifies the weekend rotation and roles may be in flux plus it was an opportunity to get some guys a little work after an extended break.

We’ll probably know the weekend rotation late tomorrow night. So shouldn’t have to wait too long to satisfy the curiosity.

1 Like

Unless he’s hurt, I would think Parker will start on Friday since he didn’t pitch against Radford. Edgington has really struggled recently so it wouldn’t surprise me if Early or Berry start on Saturday.

2 Likes

I think GoBlueHoo is pretty warm in his thinking.

Oak is kind of hinting at things in this new article from Jeff White.

I, personally, hope Early gets the ball on Saturday.

https://twitter.com/JeffWhiteUVa/status/1656645602258608128

1 Like

I was thinking that after his last start, it was time for Parker to move back to Friday nights. Hope that Edgington gets his mojo back but it’s time to mix things up.

thinking we need 5-1 (and then at least 1-1 in Durham) to host? that feels like a lock.

4-2 and then 1-1 (or even 2-1… or 3-1, or heaven forbid 4-0) in Durham feels like we’ll be sweating the selection, unless we get a lot of help, just based on how D1 has been projecting. which is wild, b/c 4-2 would get us to 17-13 with an overall record of 42-13… so maybe i’m being pessimistic. Anyways, just curious your thoughts?

4-2 to close out the regular season is obviously the minimally acceptable finish. I think that probably gets it done depending on how the committee wants to allocate the host bids (they’ll use conference tournament results or not to justify what they want to do on the margins). I haven’t really put much thought into that yet.

Three things to consider is that the selection committee has no ACC member (again) this year. Of course, the last time we should have hosted was 2017 when VT’s AD was on the selection committee and he definitely boned us.

Your facility and host bid matters. I believe it matters less than in the past simply because Maryland somehow got their dump across the finish line to host last year. But they do have standards because ODU cannot host at their home park and they’re doing upgrades to change that. I think I mentioned this above.

D1 has two hosts in the northeast projected with UConn and BC. The committee will look to avoid all the hosts being in the southeast, even when it may be deserving, and they love to “grow the game” by throwing a host bid to someone outside the traditional areas. So I can see one northeast spot but I think two is a stretch especially if Indiana State manages to snag one.

Besides maxing out our wins to finish, we do want teams like BC, UConn, Indiana State, Southern Miss, Miami, Oklahoma State, Oregon, Oregon State, Dallas Baptist, Coastal Carolina, and West Virginia to stumble to their finish.

4 Likes

Nick Parker Friday, Connelly Early Saturday, TBA Sunday per the official site.

Louisville is also TBA on Sunday.

3 Likes

Hoos get the sweep over Louisville.

https://twitter.com/UVABaseball/status/1657839121736536065

By virtue of Duke dropping 2 of 3 at home to Georgia Tech, UVA is back on top of the ACC Coastal with three games left (@ GT Thur - Sat).

RPI is currently sitting at 10.

Defense committed no errors this weekend. And starting pitchers gave up no walks (Parker did hit 4 on Friday but Louisville was diving over the plate routinely with 2 strikes all weekend but it never cost us).

11 Likes