2023 Late Recruiting Cycle

I know everything. And therefore I know nothing.

Why the soft ranking?

Solely a stretch 4 and pick n roll/rim protector. Not a guy who can reliably put it on the floor guarded. The perfect big for UVA. I think he can develop into an Anthony Gill type.

LOL at the McKoy comment.

6 Likes

Am I missing something? Looks like he took a grand total of 9 threes this year across 262 minutes played (and hit 3). Did he show it a lot in high school?

Moreso yeah. Hard to take away anything from kids who barely played which is a growing number of the portal. Given how many times Tony has watched him in person though I imagine he showed something that he at least appreciated to look at him in the portal

2 Likes

Reposting the Jennings highlights from further up the thread now that weā€™re more involved. One of his three 3s on the year was banked in, haha. But heā€™s good at open layups.

Thereā€™s honestly way too little to say anything - but looks to have decent physicality and moves decently with the ball for a dude his size. Although is it weird that he never dunked it even when wide open in front of the rim? (Edit: but Torvik says he had three dunks on the year, so I guess they just didnā€™t make the cut).

2 Likes

From HS (good times. remember watching these a while ago)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWUpNKtAJ6K/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIJLKN-jtdc/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CU-ggRStmqx/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQUXfBPHXBb/

In the 2nd clip, the center he dunks on is Florida State freshman Cam Corhen who started for them against us

5 Likes

Sounds like Thomas Sorber is going to go with Jalil Bethea to either Syracuse or Miami. Current feel in the philly area is lean towards Syracuse. NIL and package deal a big part of it.

(from the Villanova board).

3 Likes

Corhen has a chance to really good ā€¦ all conference goodā€¦ watching him from the 1st row at the Acc tournament was eye opening ā€¦ dude has all the tools

and the beat goes on . . .

I wouldnā€™t be mad about some defensive focus, check out our 3pt % allowed this year vs. the 2019 team. But also some guys who can shoot.

3p% allowed has been shown to have so much randomness that itā€™s not much worth looking at and certainly not worth making decisions because of. (Number of 3 Pt attempts allowed is different)

https://kenpom.com/blog/3point-defense-should-not-be-defined-by-opponents-3p/

Our D stunk last year mostly because we were undersized and didnā€™t have a Wilkins, Mitchell, Atkins type on the floor all the time. (And by stunk I mean #25 nationally. Our O was a bigger problem.)

2 Likes

Thatā€™s what I was thinking. Teams were just shooting over their guards, Kihei especially. Having someone 6ā€™7 at that 3 spot and a PG at least 6ā€™2 makes the D better.

3 Likes

That would be a killer pick-up for either of those schools. Ugh

I take Ken Pomā€™s (and your) point to an extent but donā€™t think that he argues it very effectively. He looks at the Top 20 and Bottom 20 teams in terms of opponent 3p% AS OF 12/4 and compares their percentages AFTER 12/4. His conclusion is that the Top 20 and Bottom 20 from 12/4 are only separated by a few percentage points by the end of the season, thus the opponent 3p% is a useless metric.

To me, this is better support for not drawing too many conclusions about your team early in the season. For reference, our first FSU game would have been the last one considered if you were to replicate KenPomā€™s analysis this year. If you look at teams currently ranked at the top of defensive 3P%, youā€™ll see Tennessee, Houston, and Alabama leading the way - all 3 are considered elite defensive teams. San Diego State is #6 and they play in a conference where several teams play a 3-happy 4 or 5 out offensive set. Teams are shooting below 30% from 3 against all of those teams. The last place team in terms of opponent 3p% is San Diego with 40.8%. Iā€™d say thatā€™s a pretty broad range.

I imagine the ā€œrightā€ metric would be something like average points from 3P FGA per 100 possessions (combo of opponent 3P% and 3PFGA and pace adjustment). Alabamaā€™s number would be really impressive as theyā€™re giving up 16 points on average to 3 pointers but play much more uptempo than Tenn., Houston, or us.

My broader point was that we need more length and athleticism at almost every position. Seeing the size of other P5 Tournament teams relative to ours made me realize how woefully undersized we were this year.

2 Likes

Weā€™ve got to steel ourselves that this is gonna happen more and more as schools commit to upfront NIL guarantees.

1 Like

Need better teams in the ACC so Iā€™m for it.

Villanova fans super angsty LOL.

Ed Cooley in DC. Rick Pitino with New Jersey and New York kids. Syracuse and Miami (Larranaga philly routes) dropping NIL deals in the area. Maryland too is a threat now. And no Jay Wrightā€¦ LOL.

Rutgers being okay and Calipari dipping into the area every once in a while and who knows if Micah stays at Penn State. Itā€™s getting awfully crowded in that area.

3 Likes

Lol, this might be a good year to grab a guy or 2 from the DMV bc it might not be worth the effort going fwd

1 Like

Has it at all been worth the effort recently? Haha. Only DMV player I remember us actually landing recently was Morsell, although maybe Iā€™m forgetting somebody.

That said, JWilly pointlessly watching WCAC games for us has become a recruiting season tradition at this point, so Iā€™m here for it.

6 Likes