2023 Men's Tennis National Champions!

7 Likes

I hope the men get a rematch with Kentucky…

1 Like

They are playing Kentucky right now in the quarters.
3 matches currently in the 3rd set. Kentucky has to win all 3 to win.
Kentucky is winning all 3 remaining matches in the 3rd.

Looks like Kentucky is going to win barring a big comeback.

I just pulled it up… looks like it could go either way right now on the last two matches.

1 Like

How does team tennis work?

1 Like

Right now the score is 3-2 UVa. In the #3 singles match, the Kentucky player, Lapadat, has broken serve (i.e., won a game when UVa was serving) in the 3rd set and is close to winning, leading 4-2 in the 3rd set. If Kentucky wins that match then it’s tied 3-3.

In the #6 singles it’s 5-4 (UVa ahead) in the 3rd set but no one seems to have broken serve. Barring a late UVa comeback in the #3 singles it will all come down to the #6 singles match, Dahlberg (UVa) vs. Cosnet (Kentucky). If Dahlberg can break serve in the next game then UVa wins. It may well comedown to a tiebreaker in that match but hopefully not.

2 Likes

There’s a green ball, and you have a racket, and you use the racket to hit the green ball over this net thing. And the other player uses a racket to hit the ball over the net thing back to you. Let me know if you have any other questions…

5 Likes

In the #3 singles the UVa player, von der Schulenberg, has broken back and tied the set at 4-4 and is now ahead 40-15 in the 9th game of the set.

2 Likes

Sounds easy

2 Likes

Right :slight_smile: No. 6 singles is headed to a tie-breaker and #3 singles in essentially tied. The match is about as close as it could possibly be.

UVa just has to win either the #3 singles or the #6 singles in order for UVa to beat Kentucky.

3 Likes

Whew, thank god he finally pulled that out. Tennis is so dang stressful

7 Likes

UVa wins! Dahlberg takes the 3rd set tiebreaker in the #6 singles.

10 Likes

Uva wins. You’re welcome for the reverse jinx. Onto the final 4

6 Likes

Gutsy by our guy/a little bit of a choke job for the UK guy. Survive and advance!

5 Likes

And Dahlberg is only a freshman. Quite a win for him in a very tense match. Definitely gutsy.

6 Likes

There are 6 singles matches - best of 3-sets… each is 1 point.

There are 3 doubles matches - 1 set… whichever team wins 2 of the 3 doubles gets 1 point.

The doubles matches are always played first and sets the stage for who wins the doubles point… then the 6 singles matches start…

Whomever gets 4 points first wins… in some matches the coaches agree to complete all 6 singles matches even if a winner is decided… however others, the matches that have not completed when the winner has been decided are abandoned… hence why sometimes you see a score of 4 - 0 or 4 - 1.

In the NCAA Tournament… all unfinished matches after a decisive point is won are abandoned.

6 Likes

Dahlberg guts it out and UVa wins 4 - 2! Woohoo!

2 Likes

UVa’s depth was key as they won the #4, #5 and #6 singles.

2 Likes

Schulenberg was serving to get to a 3rd set tie-breaker when Dahlberg won… so we had a pretty good chance at the 7th point as well.