2023 Men's Tennis National Champions!

Respect nut

1 Like

Thanks @DFresh11… played tennis all through childhood and HS… had a wicked two-handed backhand and a subpar forehand. LOL!

3 Likes

We expect nothing less from the most interesting man in the world Nut. And thorough AF as well

This is the way. Fresh - take notes for how this is done!

4 Likes

Tennis turns remarkably often on those kinds of little things.

A couple examples, Serena at the Australian Open in 2021 was gunning for her 24th major win (a huge deal), steamrolled her early opponents, and was stomping Naomi Osaka in the semi-finals. Serena was up like 5-2, serving for the win, hits an ace to win… but is called for a foot fault on the serve. Osaka wins the next couple games and just as Serena seems to stabilize, she hurts her leg and Osaka ends up winning 7-5, I want to say, and takes the match. Serena never serious contends for a major title again. She was right there and unstoppable, and was completely thwarted by a foot-fault.

Closer to home, the Men’s Tennis team was playing for the NCAA outdoor championship in 2013. Tied 3-3 with UCLA in the finals, but Mitchell Frank is down 6-5. The UCLA player charges hard at the net to get to a Frank drop-shot and hits a terrific cross-court winner for the game and championship. Its over.

Except that at the end of his shot he accidentally (but clearly) hits the net. That’s a penalty. Point to Frank.

Frank rises to the occasion, becoming an absolute defensive wall. He hangs on, pushes the match to a tie-breaker, winning it, the match, and UVA’s first ever Mens’ Tennis Championship.

6 Likes

Yep - totally agree.
I play in a 40 and over USTA league: 3 doubles matches and first team with 2 wins - wins.
Last night one of our courts went to a 3rd set - where it’s a 10 point tiebreaker. Our team’s guys come back to tie it at 8-8 and have a sitter at the net to go up 9-8 and match point. He blows it and the other team serves it out on the next point. Brutal for them. Thankfully we won the other 2 courts for a team win.
Yes my partner and I won 6-0, 6-2 as my shoulder is finally doing better.

2 Likes

It’s such a mentally tough sport. You’re out there for hours, by yourself, where one little lapse in concentration ends up costing you the match. Certainly can’t blame a freshman under that pressure.

1 Like

Use to love playing that game. Played a little growing up and a bit while in college. Got real serious won a bunch of b tournaments there CVille, entered in some a side tourneys never made it past the second round. Loved it though.

8 Likes

I would say the worst sport for this would be cricket… except your one mistake costs your team the match

1 Like

Hoos play #1 seed Texas tomorrow in the semifinals

3 Likes

Two teams play tennis against each other. Score is kept. The winning team wins.

1 Like

@WFS_HOO Love

Texas hasn’t dropped a point all tourney? ….Just dropped the doubles point LFG.

2 Likes

Looking a little bleak right now. Gonna need another comeback to pull it off.

3 Likes

Man tennis really does change on a dime/is a game of runs. Not saying anything else to undo the reverse jinx I already have in.

5 Likes

Man I really am a reverse jinx.

Just to get it out there

No way UVA lands Kon Knueppel
No way UVA lands Trent Perry
No way UVA lands Ryan Jones Jr (when we eventually offer)
No way UVA lands Nic Codie (when UVA offers)

You’re welcome.

11 Likes

That’s a wrap - 4-1 HOOOOOOS!!!

11 Likes

And was looking like 6-1 if everything played out

11 Likes

Wow! Go Hoos!

3 Likes