2023 Men's Tennis National Champions!

Not so quiet whispers about Bernard being a stack at 5. Kiefer played great all week and taking him to a 3rd was huge for momentum.

4 Likes

Are there rules that prohibit stacking in D1? I recall in D3 that there was some way for coaches to protest, though I don’t ever recall it coming up, as it’s hard to know how a team’s internal challenges for spots ended up playing out from the outside.

2 Likes

There are routinely challenges when lineups are submitted. Those I recall being rarely successful and only in really obvious cases. Regarding UVA, I think there was more lineup chess with Boland. Not necessarily stacks but maybe some gaming of the system based on potential opponents and getting guys rest. I do remember one year having the submitted lineup challenged and rejected. Won the title anyway.

Pedroso’s teams have been remarkably consistent other than that Kiefer Dahlberg swap. Loved seeing every guy step up last week. Jeffrey and Woody bouncing back on Sunday was awesome.

3 Likes

Last women standing:

Tuesday, May 23
Subhash fell 6-4, 6-0 against No. 14 Fangran Tian of UCLA (a 9-16 seed in the championship), ending her run in the Round of 32.

A round of thunderstorms hit the area at 3 p.m., sending all of the action indoors. Adams and Collard’s match against No. 23 Amelia Honer and Kira Reuter of UC Santa Barbara, which was set to begin at 4 p.m., was played indoors with a five-hour delay. When the action finally got underway, Adams and Collard won 6-4, 6-3 to advance to the second round.

Wednesday, May 24
Adams and Collard started their match against 5-8 seed Nell Miller and Amelia Rajecki of NC State on the outdoor courts but moved indoors when it was tied 3-3 in the first set. Both sides held serve to a 6-6 tie, forcing a tiebreaker with Collard and Adams winning it 7-4. The second set also ended in a 6-6 tie, forcing a second tiebreaker. Collard and Adams prevailed 9-7 in the breaker to advance to the quarterfinals.

Thursday, May 25
Adams and Collard face Katherine Duong and Megan Heuser of Illinois at 2 p.m. in the quarterfinals.

1 Like

Last man standing:

Wednesday, May 24
Rodesch faced No 32 Axel Nefve of Florida on the outdoor courts. Nefve, a graduate transfer who played four years at Notre Dame before transferring to Florida, took the first set 6-4, but Rodesch responded with 6-4, 6-4 wins of his own in the final two sets to advance to the quarterfinals.

Montes and Goetz began their delayed doubles opener against No. 23 Arthur Fery and Nishesh Basavareddy of Stanford on the outdoor courts, taking the first set 6-3 before weather again delayed the match. After moving indoors, Fery and Basavareddy took the second set 6-0 and then the super tiebreaker 10-5 to take the match and eliminate Goetz and Montes from the tournament. Goetz and Montes end the season as All-Americans, earning the honor by virtue of their 5-8 seeding in the tournament.

Thursday, May 25
Rodesch will face No. 41 Alex Bernard of Ohio State at 10 a.m. in the quarterfinals.

1 Like

Rodesch up 6-3, 4-2…

1 Like

SEMIFINAL BOUND 🎟️ Chris Rodesch tops Ohio State’s Alexander Bernard 6-3, 6-4 to earn a spot in the Final Four

9 Likes

https://twitter.com/vandymtennis/status/1662129948247851009?s=46

2 Likes

Good for him - good opportunity

2 Likes

Bummer, Rodesch falls in third set to National #2 Ethan Quinn of Georgia

1 Like

@Spencer I would like the :poop: emoji for this… can this be added?

4 Likes

ORLANDO, Fla. – Virginia women’s tennis players Julia Adams and Mélodie Collard fell in the semifinals of the NCAA Doubles Championship on Friday (May 26) at the USTA National Campus in Orlando, Fla.

Adams and Collard, who are ranked No. 10 in the ITA doubles rankings, were edged 6-4, 7-6 (3) by North Carolina’s No. 11 Fiona Crawley and Carson Tanguilig.

It will be an all-North Carolina final in doubles with Reese Brantmeier and Elizabeth Scotty advancing from the other side of the bracket.

This is the second time in program history that a Cavalier duo has advanced to the semifinals, matching the run of Rosie Johanson and Emma Navarro in 2021.

Adams and Collard earn All-America honors for doubles with their finish in the championship. They finish the season with a record of 24-6 as a doubles team.

6 Likes

ORLANDO, Fla. – Virginia men’s tennis junior Chris Rodesch (Angelsberg, Luxembourg) had his run in the NCAA Singles Championship come to an end with a loss in the semifinals.

Rodesch, a 9-16 seed, won his first set 6-2 against No. 2 Ethan Quinn of Georgia on Friday but dropped the final two sets 6-2 and 6-4.

The match was played on the indoor courts at the USTA National Campus due to an afternoon rain storm.

The loss snapped a streak of 17 straight wins for Rodesch in his completed singles matches. This was his first loss since a March 12 setback against Notre Dame’s Sebastian Dominko and only his second loss since February 19.

Rodesch ends his season with a 31-6 record in singles, including going 21-3 in dual matches. He earns All-America honors in singles for the second straight year.

3 Likes

Anyone gonna start Lax Final 4 weekend thread?

2 Likes

@DFresh11 You can do it… I believe in you!

1 Like

Lets go!! Need a poll?

3 Likes

Thanks for providing all the updates this week @DavetheWave

4 Likes

:poop: :poop:

1 Like