2023 NCAA Tournament Thread

As a thought experiment, imagine fans of Tennessee sitting around this morning and saying, “holy sh-t, I hope they don’t screw us and make us play Yale.”

1 Like

Analyzing favorable match ups ≠ not claiming the committee is screwing us.

glad we aren’t Tennessee fans. They suck.

4 Likes

100%

So tired of the hand wringing whinging and hail marys to get a match up. It’s the NCAAT if you are who you say you are shut up and play.

6 Likes

Max Abmas is really good. I respect him for staying there even though I’m sure major programs were begging him to transfer. He led ORU in 2021 when they nearly reached the Elite 8 as a 15 seed. If Kihei/Reece could slow him down then we’d be in good shape. They also have a 7’5” guy but I’m not too familiar with his game.

Would love to if you could invent a machine to make me 10 years younger and 8 inches taller :wink: otherwise I’m gonna fret about matchups until such time as we have a good enough team that matchups don’t matter (hopefully 2025)

3 Likes

It’s up to the players at the end of the day to not worry about the opponent and come mentally prepared. As fans we’re allowed to analyze which teams would be best/worst for us to match up against, that’s part of the fun in March Madness.

It’s always hard to predict which of the mid-major/low-major 12s and on down are actually good, because they haven’t played enough top teams to really know. Some of them, had they been tested, would have demonstrated they have no business being in the tourney. Some of them are Sweet 16 good and no one knows it. All we can do is look for the team that we match up well against, style-wise. I’ll leave it to you guys to tell me which team that is. (And then we’ll get the opposite.)

2 Likes

Lunardi’s latest as of a few minutes ago has us as a 5 seed.

That’s not a great sign. Word is he gets tipped day of of the top 16. We’ll see.

Yeah I’ve been worried about momentum building for Duke to take our 4 and that seems to be happening. Hopefully the committee doesn’t overvalue recent success

I think both Duke and UVA should both be 4s but the mediocrity of the ACC prob isn’t going to let that happen

1 Like

We had a share of the ACC regular season title in 1995, had lost a starter, and got a 5-seed.

We responded by getting to the Elite Eight and taking the defending champs to the wire.

5 Likes

It’s still possible we both get one. All the other likely 4s lost in semis or quarters. IU and TH and Xavier got blown out in final.

1 Like

Well what was his excuse last year? Got an F from bracket matrix and had Houston as a 4 and Providence as a 5 which were wrong

4 Likes

Lol, yea. Have just heard that as a rumor. If you notice he also does one last bracket like an hour before reveal.

2 Likes

Someone said it earlier this week but the funniest part about Lunardi is Borzello also works at ESPN and is a much better bracketologist

2 Likes

Should we have a separate thread for Selection Sunday?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

TA&M another worry jumping up if they win but Bama decent favorites today

Looking over the NET Team Sheets one last time, and I have to assume we’ll be a 5 seed. Lots of other teams with similar resumes to ours in terms of record by quadrant, but the metrics just don’t favor us as much as others around us. That stings because you have to think we’d be a 4 if we won last night; we’ll have a harder path, but I think we’ll still have a good chance at making a run based on what I saw this week.

Well maybe he has us as a 5 BECAUSE he has Duke as a 4 seed…… TWICE

4 Likes