2023 NCAA Tournament Thread

Yeah they’re trying to one-up us in end of game blunders … they prob should have been granted that TO

Memphis did a Kihei

1 Like

I won’t give you crap, but I don’t see that tweet as lecturing at all, and on Twitter you don’t need to “be someone” to voice your opinion. It’s a good opinion so I approve.

1 Like

Glad Memphis blew it. Don’t like their coach or players and that fight with a few minutes left was ugly.

1 Like

Pretty sure Penny threw something on the court after the horn sounded

At least we attempted a final shot

3 Likes

Water bottle.

2 Likes

Something tells me Penny wouldn’t handle a major upset too well

2 Likes

So you’re saying you’d rather have Purdue’s record the past three years? Meaning you’d rather lose to a 16 seed again? That would officially end the UVA program, haha. No thank you.

And we actually lost to higher seeds, which is funny. I also want wins, but no way am I making that trade.

6 Likes

To all the doomsdayers … kentucky won an NCAA tournament game today for the 1st time since 2019. Shit happens … Im still lovin our 2019 natty.

7 Likes

Tony ‘has poor roster contruction’. Tony’s ‘recruiting has been poor’ the last few years.

Let me remind you that over the last 60 months … we have won a natty, won 3 ACC regular season titles, finished 2nd once, been to 3 NCAA Tounaments (would be 4 except for the china virus year), and 1 NIT bid.

With all of our ‘poor roster construction’ has any other team in the ACC come REMOTELY close to that?

Carry on grasshoppers …

3 Likes
1 Like

So in the end we were the only 3,4,or 5 to lose? Sigh

5 Likes

https://twitter.com/chrismcculleytv/status/1636826911476203547?s=46&t=UZsKFKJyaHeuQ1gnZBQWVw

4 Likes

Yeah I mean from a purely talent perspective … we are regularly overperforming in season and probably on par for March. Obviously, when you see what TB can do with the talent and season performance, there should be more in March. I also wish TB would adjust do some things in his style and approach …

But taking a step back, I imagine how constantly angry I would be if I rooted for Kentucky and Duke. Those rosters and you are a 5-6 seed?!? You had Zion and you couldn’t make the final four?! That team actually got worse as the season progressed.

Would be absolutely maddening. Of course our brains are wired for recent expectations which is why Tony gets a lot of shit and Coach K didn’t his final few years.

2 Likes

Dude you are exhausting with this point. We get it: we’ve accomplished plenty, especially with the natty. It’ll be very hard to replicate this kind of success one day when Tony moves on, BUT while he is here, three first round exists to double digit seeds in our last four tries indicates that something isn’t quite right in our approach to finding success in March and everyone is just exploring potential reasons for our downfalls.
All other teams in first round matchups against double digit seeds are 54-7 in the last five years; were 1-3. Something ain’t right!

13 Likes

I think Coach K got plenty of sh** the last few years. A lot of folks acknowledged he had lost his fast ball in all but recruiting. He got criticized for poor rotation management and for his teams’ lack of development.

4 Likes

+10. One like just wasn’t enough.

1 Like

Certainly wasn’t the dominant narrative though. Maybe among diehards from other teams.

Gotta pay attention to the right folks. :wink:

More seriously, it’s hard to answer without getting into a whole mishigas about the college hoops media landscape. You mostly don’t see coaches getting criticized on TV much at all, because the general approach is “I love everything!” because if it’s not, their bosses get angry letters from the types of people who bristle at any criticism.

Which I understand. This is entertainment after all, not national security or something.

2 Likes