2023 Off-Season Basketball - Outside UVa

Shouldn’t there be a cage and then some sort of visual representation of credits not transferring?

5 Likes

Getting those logos tattoo’d so close together probably isn’t a crime, but it should be.

5 Likes

Under the new rule, a defender will have to be in position to draw a charge at the time an offensive player plants a foot to go airborne to attempt a field goal.

Other rule changes

• An optional rule will allow for preloaded/live video to be transmitted to the bench area. This has been an experimental rule for the past two years.
  • Officials will be able to review goaltending/basket interference calls during the next media timeout to ensure the calls were accurate, as long as the official calls it on the floor. If there is a foul on the shooter while the ball is in the air with a goaltend/basket interference, the review would be immediate to properly adjudicate the potential free throws.
  • Bench personnel who are not students will be allowed to serve as peacekeepers when an altercation occurs.
  • Under two minutes, when a coach requests an out-of-bounds play be reviewed, that team will be charged a timeout if the original call is not overturned.
  • Anytime the ball hits the rim and the offense retains possession in the front court, the shot clock will reset to 20 seconds.
  • If a player is called for a foul and instant replay officials see that the foul is a direct result of a flagrant 1 or flagrant 2 foul against the player who was originally assessed a foul, officials will be allowed to remove the foul on the player who was flagrantly fouled.
  • A timeout will be able to be granted when a player has possession of the ball even though the player is airborne. (An example would be a player grabbing a loose ball and calling timeout before landing out of bounds.)
  • If a player commits three flagrant 1 fouls in a game, the player will be disqualified from the game.
  • Players will be allowed to wear numbers 0-99.
  • Schools will no longer have to submit a waiver for players to wear religious headwear, provided it is safe for competition.
  • Red and amber lights will be allowed on the backboard.

Hoos our first #99?

8 Likes

No no no hoos our first #69??

2 Likes

Retroactively it’s Evan nolte

4 Likes

Does that block rule apply to both primary and secondary defenders, or just the latter?

I like this rule.

Is this just back to the old rule from several years ago? If so, I don’t like it.

1 Like

Under what circumstances was this not happening before this rules change?

Finally! This changes everything.

3 Likes

Am i reading this right? If a player gets flagrantly fouled he has permission to knock the shit out of the one who fouled him

4 Likes

There’s been no truer statement

2 Likes

The one-handed official rule is dead! I’m really more interested in the players that choose 6 - 9 and 16 - 19.

3 Likes

Gentlemen don’t tell.

2 Likes

That’s my take as well. Pay back punches are allowed as long as they are made to look like just another foul. We’re another step closer to the NBA.

1 Like

Oh god not the nba. The horror!

2 Likes

Well that would also be a flagrant and probably wouldn’t be removed. The language is “officials will be allowed to remove” so I think it’s up to the refs’ discretion. I’m not sure exactly what situations they are trying to address, maybe the times where they miss the flagrant initially and call the foul on the second player, but then catch the flagrant on review?

2 Likes

Think it is going to be for the ones similar to Mamadi and the Oregon player in NCAA tournament… I can’t remember if they both got technical fouls… but that was clearly one where if they only gave Mamadi one which happens a lot, a replay would’ve taken it away from him and retroactively given to the other dude without more penalties than that.

5 Likes

Savage

St. John's coach Rick Pitino envision that in 2024-25, the Storm will play eight of 10 Big East home games at MSG. He thought DePaul and Butler might be on-campus contests. #sjubb

— Roger Rubin (@RogRubin) June 14, 2023
7 Likes

I sorta love the shade being thrown at butler and DePaul there

2 Likes

Personally just hope we all make it to those years. Whenever they are as Fresh is still stuck in 1993

5 Likes

Yeah, that’s about 15 years away. Which is also how long it takes to get to MSG from Jamaica, so makes sense

3 Likes