⚾ 2024 Baseball

Wait a minute! They get gloves? When I played we brought our own from home.

2 Likes

Gloves from home?
Confused Gary Coleman GIF

Yep, back in the olden days everyone used their own glove. Maybe it was different for the other teams in the conference, but not here.

1 Like

I agree I wouldn’t have wanted any of those gloves I seen

Man, I used my Catfish Hunter glove all the way through high school (shortstop). I still have it.

3 Likes

Don’t have any of my old gloves, as they were all hand-me-downs from my brother that I had to re-lace. At least they were already broken-in…

1 Like

Sborz closes out the World Series….

8 Likes

Took down Pavin Smith enroute to his ring. Pavin didn’t look too happy after that 3rd strike curve ball.

4 Likes

@KarlHess find

https://twitter.com/OldenPolynice1/status/1719912714150248476

11 Likes

MLB needs a better World Series trophy.

1 Like

Is it baseball season already?

6 Likes

Can’t be too many players who won an MOP award in a CWS and recorded a save to clinch a WS.

8 Likes

only 2 to ever win a CWS, be the MOP, and win a WS. Sborz and Terry Francona (MOP in 1980)

7 Likes

And Francona only won the WS as a manager, iirc.

2 Likes

Correct, Francona did not win a World Series as a player.

The CWS champion, CWS MOP, and World Series champion run has been done by three players now:

The 804’s Jackie Bradley Jr. (2010 CWS champ & MOP, 2018 WS champ with the Red Sox)

Dansby Swanson (2014 CWS champ & MOP, 2021 WS champ with the Braves)

Josh Sborz (2015 CWS champ & MOP, 2023 WS champ with the Rangers)

10 Likes

damn, the NCAA article left a little to be desired, it seems!

really bumped that Dansby is on that list…

frankly Ro Coleman should have been MOP just for that damn home run in game 3.

2 Likes

That’s wild that all 3 players won their WS rings in the last 5 years. What are the odds of that?

Hmm. That does suggest maybe a thorough analysis wasn’t really done.

2 Likes

https://x.com/baseballamerica/status/1722390290038923732?s=46

11 Likes

For anyone interested, here’s the current rankings for each of the guys in our class on Perfect Game:

4 . Caleb Bonemer (SS)
9 . Aiden Harris (3B)
33 . Trey Gregory-Alford (RHP)
124 . Tomas Valincius (LHP)
165 . Bryce Meccage (RHP)
169 . William Kirk (LHP)
228 . Jackson Sirios (SS)
252 . James Nunnallee (OF)
260 . Luke Dickerson (SS)
290 . Chone James (C)
305 . Michael Yeager (RHP)
481 . Isaac Vanderwoude (SS)

The general rule of thumb is you shouldn’t count on guys ranked in the top 50 to make it to college, typically the percentage who go straight to the pros in that range is pretty high especially from 1-30. So I don’t expect Bonemer or Harris to make it to grounds, and would be very surprised if Gregory-Alford does as well given his breakout last summer. Weirdly Harris didn’t pop up very often on a lot of the MLB draft projections I saw a couple of months ago, but he is widely considered to have the most power out of any 2024 high schooler (he hit a 498 ft. homer in a showcase event, dude is a monster).

The good news is we have tons of depth in this class, to have the remaining 9 prospects all ranked inside of the top 500 is very impressive and means we’ll still have some quality players coming into the program even with attrition via the draft. There’s a chance we lose one or two more than currently expected if anyone else surges up the rankings, but we should still end up with a top 25 class when it’s all said and done.

11 Likes

Really wish we could use NIL to get those kids to enroll.