šŸ—ŗ 2024 Conference Realignment thread

I know Iā€™m being incredibly biased towards one sport in this but I look at that B1G expansion and think ā€œhalf of these teams donā€™t give a single shit about baseball and would kill our RPIā€. Adding in programs like Oregon, UCLA, and UNC would help but man us joining the SEC would make for some really fun Spring weekends.

2 Likes

Is it insensitive to compare the SEC and B1G divvying up the ACC to the US and Stalin subdividing postwar Europe in 1945?

6 Likes

I donā€™t want to be a part of this conference, but ACC and Big 12 should merge if they want to survive.

1 Like

B1G better fit, SEC more fun. Since Iā€™m an alumni I voted ā€œfunā€.

any conference duke and tech (and I wish UNC) arenā€™t a part of.

sign. me. up.

Iā€™ve agreed with this position for a while. That the contract was way too long.

But I just thought about it a little more. The GOR is the only reason schools havenā€™t left yet and the only reason the ACC even exists in present form. We could easily have suffered the same fate as the Pac-12. And if hypothetically speaking, the media contract was up for bid in the past couple years, what kind of revenue level would we even get? Iā€™m not sure itā€™d be even as much as weā€™re getting now. The ACC couldā€™ve been offered what Apple offered the PAC-12. Especially a weakened ACC without several of its top football programs.

1 Like

Obviously canā€™t be sure about the number, but Iā€™d imagine it would have at least gotten us closer to where the SEC and B1G landed. We werenā€™t THAT far behind them in terms of brand value and overall performance, but with the money gap growing year after year it becomes really difficult to overcome.

I understand the trepidation about what would happen if the ACC was able to have the bottom fall out, but I actually have confidence we wouldā€™ve and will in the future have a safe landing spot regardless of what goes on around us.

1 Like

Could say the same thing about Lacrosse & Soccer being a better fit for the BIG.

Honestly, with the money flowing to these 2 conferences, they will both standup Olympic sports that are competitive enough to be relevant.

Football and basketball should drive the decision.

Again I think both conferences have their pros and cons. SEC helps with baseball/tennis/swimming, B1G helps with lacrosse/soccer/wrestling. Iā€™m inclined to think that lacrosse will be fine regardless of what conference we join, but who knows.

Iā€™m with you, I think we offer enough value to one of the P2 conferences that weā€™ll find a home in one of them on the other side.

Iā€™m not as bullish on the media rights prospects of the ACC in todayā€™s market. What the Big Ten and SEC schools have that most schools in the ACC donā€™t are gigantic student populations and huge alumni bases. The vast majority of both conferences consist of giant public schools with enrollments in the 40k+ range. The ACC schools just arenā€™t like that. Thereā€™s a number of small private schools and a few elite mid sized public schools. Even the big publics like VT, NCSU, CU and FSU arenā€™t anything close to the size of Ohio State or Wisconsin or Texas A&M.

More students and alumni mean bigger fan bases and many more potential subscribers and eyeballs watching. I think that would lead to lower media rights values for an ACC package.

2 Likes

Conference is not relevant for lax. Weā€™d just play basically the same schedule. The ACC is barely a conference in lax.

3 Likes

SEC because of geography

2 Likes

How is being in a pod with Penn State, UNC, Maryland, and Rutgers less geographically relevant than being in a pod with UNC, Tennessee, Kentucky, Vanderbilt and South Carolina?

People call out the ā€œwho wants to go see a football game in Minnesota or Purdueā€ argument. But these conferences are getting large enough that the geographic concentrations are a push. Iā€™d rather prioritize rivalries and positioning our program for success in football and basketball.

Bye bye, baseball.

I didnā€™t say anything about pods lol I donā€™t really care about football. Not optimistic for our prospects in that no matter what. Would rather basketball, soccer, and others go to Texas over Eugene and LA. Also much more practical for sports that have mid week games and still have to go to class that week

When I was in college, we organized a basketball tournament among the staffs of the ACC student newspapers. We played the finals in U-Hall. We partied at night. There were rivalries, but also a sense that we were peers ā€“ part of the same family, if you will, or maybe the same frat. Our schools shared a history and much of the same collegiate culture.

Point being: Conferences used to mean something more than a place to gather money, and that feeling was lost a long time ago. I feel no connection to Pitt or Syracuse or Boston College.Theyā€™re like the roommates you were assigned first year. Theyā€™re just random people sharing the same space. I still hate Maryland more than Iā€™ll ever hate any of those schools.

So I donā€™t care where we wind up. Itā€™s only about the money, and thatā€™s an administratorā€™s concern, not a fanā€™s. Iā€™ll miss the ACC, but it will be the ACC from 30 years ago, not the Frankenstein monster weā€™ve conconcted now.

13 Likes

These well connected gentleman with a real knowledge of the Big 10 discuss conference expansion. It appears that the SEC and Big 10 have formed a joint advisory board. That FSU has already been extended a Big 10 invitation once they settle with the ACC. Then the Big will try to lure Notre Dame. The SEC will extend invitations to UNC and UVA. The BIG will not pursure UNC because UNC has declared that UVA is its dance partner. Fox does not want UVA because the big already have Northen VA. Take a listen. They appear to have good sources.

1 Like

I guess FSU makes as much sense to the B1G as UCLA and USC, but it is a poor fit. Iā€™m happy that UNC/UVa are paired - thatā€™s good news - because if UNC and FSU are paired, then it makes so much more sense for B1G. That leaves us paired with VT for membership in the B12 because I donā€™t believe we would have an SEC fit with Clemson but who the F knows. I canā€™t believe I just wrote that without vomiting on my keyboard.

1 Like

Even if Fox doesnā€™t think we add new viewers because they already have the DC area because of Maryland, why would they just let Disney enter the market with the SEC and then also completely concede the North Carolina market, which is bigger than Virginia?

I mean I prefer joining the SEC and hearing that UNC has chosen us as a partner is oddly comforting, but I donā€™t follow some of the logic in that analysis.

1 Like

This information dropped last week regarding the results of a recent UNC Board of Trustees meeting. UNC evidently does not want to be tied to NCSU.

2 Likes