'21 - '22 In-Season ACC Basketball Chat

Still the most absurd to me is the even more rare 7th year senior cohort- which I don’t think can happen again given the 1-time Covid waiver.

Guys like Jalen Coleman-Lands, who entered college in 15-16 (!!), four schools during that time (Illinois, DePaul, Iowa State, Kansas)…basically if we still had Mamadi on the roster.

4 Likes

They lost because of tons of TO’s. Bacot had 4. Love had 4 and zero assists. Got to get them to play sloppy.

I’ve never heard of Blake Wesley until this AM (haven’t watched ND yet) and apparently he’s a OAD? From 115 or so in 247? Damn. Vecenie has him #16 on his latest big board.

I think we will likely get a OAD like that in the next several years, but hopefully it’s a year when we are poised to take advantage of it (and next year might not be it).

1 Like

If one of the Isaac’s gets 28-30m a game I could see it. Or if Bond shoots the 3 at like 37% or better I could see it as he has NBA level athleticism.

3 Likes

McKneely or Traudts ability to make the NBA their first year is not going to be determined by how many minutes they play. If they’re NBA one and done level they will play a lot. You have the causality flipped

4 Likes

Eh, but if that’s the case, then its a tautology since the question was whether we get a OAD. You’re saying “we’ll get a OAD when we get a player who’s immediately NBA ready, and therefore will get a bunch of minutes”.

1 Like

My favorite part of discussing our incoming classes is the debate over how long guys will be here. I remember when Morsell, Reece, and others were all likely only going to be here two or three years before they got plucked to the NBA. Optimism flows eternal.

9 Likes

Meanwhile no one had Murphy pegged as a OAD and that’s exactly what he was.

5 Likes

To be fair, Morsell was indeed only at UVA for 2 seasons, and JAR only 1!

11 Likes

Do we have a guy coming in who:

• Is slightly below the radar? :white_check_mark:
  • Has a pro in the family? :white_check_mark:
  • Is the height of NBA wings that GM’s salivate over these days? :white_check_mark:
  • Seems like he could be a plus defender? :white_check_mark:
  • Is an amazing 3pt shooter (and high school stats are unavailable to prove me wrong) ? :white_check_mark:

:eyes:

Oops, I forgot one:

• Who will most likely spend next year learning how to set picks and defending out of position? :white_check_mark:

:joy:

7 Likes

Have never been more sure that a recruit would be all ACC than Morsell. Smh

9 Likes

To be fair, he almost made the US national team for his age group in high school, which is usually a good indicator of the quality of the player. I haven’t followed Morsell’s success at NC State since the comments here after the first couple of games that he was getting a lot of minutes and doing well. When I looked up his stats just now, though, it looks like his minutes and his efficiency have taken a nose dive the last five games or so. Vaguely recall that he might be playing hurt. Anyone know what the story is?

I’m guilty of saying Morsell was the most day 1 ready player Tony had ever recruited. To be fair, he started right from the jump because of his defense (as I expected) but offensively he was one of the worst, if not the worst, player in the country

1 Like

I have watched some and when he plays Casey literally stands in one corner of offense and watched the PG run high pick n roll. Does not look fun

4 Likes

Began the season as a starter. Is now coming of the bench and played 6 minutes last game.

2 Likes

From far just feels like hes not in their plans

NCST’s offense also drives me a little crazy. I could be wrong because I’m not smart enough to recognize specific offensives and sets, but so much of their offense seems to be simply relying on guys to beat their guy one-on-one or just hit contested jumpers. They seem to run so little stuff that actually generates open shots. It all seems so haphazard. I guess when it’s working it’s called “free-flowing”. I did think Casey would be a better fit there since he’d get more chances to improvise and shoot off the dribble, but he seems to be regressing again.

2 Likes

Still is. Everyone talks about his shooting but his ball handling is also really poor. State won’t be his last school.

Thats the same thing I see. Just play that way and hope you get hot I guess. Think the PG is the guy they feature and trust (Terquavion Smith)

3 Likes

Thanks for the chuckles - I needed that Haney.

1 Like