'21 - '22 In-Season UVa Basketball Chat

I’m still catching up but wasn’t there a season that the Pac-12 regular season champ didn’t make the tournament? I want to say it was Washington. Maybe the year Fultz was there?

2 Likes

I think you’re right, it was fairly recent when it happened.

Yep. Just looked it up. Washington in 2011-12. They lost in the first round of the conference tourney and wound up in the NIT. Only 2 Pac-12 teams made it that year, and one was Colorado who surely wouldn’t have without the automatic bid.

3 Likes

That was before the quad system.

Just guessing here, but there is no way the Cuse game happens if players were traveling for the holdiays to see family (and rightfully so, family time much needed during these times). Right?

4 Likes

Correct

1 Like

I’m taking questions for a midseason mailbag over on the LRA blog — reply to this w/ a question you’d like to see discussed (9-6 start, playing time for young guys, starting lineup, 2-foul rule, any individual player Qs) and I’ll get to it in the post.

4 Likes

What have you seen this season that gives you optimism for next season?

Ground rules - stick to guys on UVa’s roster right now (so you can’t say, “Watching McKneely highlights makes me optimistic for next season”) and only guys who are not-traditional seniors (to sidestep the stay/go decisions from Kihei and Jayden) AND/OR any coaching changes/tweaks from Tony and staff.

4 Likes

I think the flashes that Igor and Taine have showed are exciting. And if Reece continues to score like he has recently that is a nice new wrinkle too.

4 Likes

Top 5 coaching candidates to replace the out of touch CTB?

How long do we wait to hang Kihei’s jersey from the rafters next to Ralph’s

Over/Under on number of walk-ons who play the rest of the season?

5 Likes

When will Freshs most games played without a start be broken from UVa mens hoops

7 Likes

When exactly did the game pass Tony by? Before or after Ty double dribbled?

7 Likes

Did CTB ever really have it? Or was the Nati the 1 championship every 10 yr coach avgs?

2 Likes

Should we be doubling the paint or be playing more iso defense?

Where are the opportunities for growth on this team to help take us to the next level? What are thing we have control over that we can improve to be a better team?

Are our bigs trying to do most of the rebounding? Are we getting away from when we used to have the bigs box out and the guards rebound?

1 Like

EDIT: Eh, F it. Humans gonna human.

1 Like

I was looking through stats last night, making some comparisons.

1. I won’t be surprised at all to see Armaan Franklin make a Devon Hall type of senior year leap. We focus in on his 3P% but he’s actually having the best offensive season of his college career and very comparable to Devon’s junior year. He’s made big improvements to his game. Even if it’s next season, eventually he’ll return to being a solid 3P shooter and boom you’ve got a damn good offensive player.

2. Reece has exactly the same number of FG attempts this season as last, in 223 fewer minutes. He’s a lot more assertive, even if not as much as some would like. Efficiency as improved with the increase in volume too. Oh and he already has more steals than last year. Anther year, another step forward.

3. Who knows if Jayden Gardner will be back. But he also is having the best offensive season of his college career on almost identical usage.

4. We have a sophomore big man who while still very rough around the edges is ridiculously talented, and leading the league in blocks. It’s just a matter of time with him.

5. Two true freshman are shooting 38% and 42% from 3. Yeah they’re not ready for big roles. This year., yet.

23 Likes

Thanks for being the voice of reason. I think there’s a lot to look forward to next season, and then two years from now: look out. Not even because of the ‘22 class, I’m saying Reece as a Sr is going to be a beastttt in every aspect of the game except shooting (gotta hope he improves there). I believe Taine and Igor are going to be impact players for our program as Jr’s and Kadin will be a special player in 2 years.

Over/under 2.5 different starting lineups on the year?
And what’s the most likely change to the starting lineup (you can answer no change here too).

Gardner better come back, he and Reece are the cornerstones next year

2 Likes

Raw data puttonf a lot into perspective there. Also great to think the cupboards wont be bare next year when the big class arrives.

1 Like