'21 - '22 In-Season UVa Basketball Chat

I thought of the ‘21 kid UVa missed, Kaufman was the biggest. After watching Furst today, I think it may be him. Kid can really play and seems to bring energy when he steps on the floor.

6 Likes

Kaufman is redshirting this year. You may find him in the portal in ‘22.

1 Like

Tennesse PG…. Sounds familiar, a 5’9 point guard who had a really good peach jam. LOL

1 Like

Yea I was thinking how much I missed when we were playing on this level

1 Like

UNC getting spanked.

It’s pretty pathetic with how bad we are that we still somehow have a chance to win the ACC. Outside Duke, and the athletic issues NC State and FSU give us nothing else phases me. Maybe the syracuse zone. Trying to score against that with Reece and Kihei and out pacing the Boeheim brothers and Joe Girard’s 3pt barrage will be interesting

Also maybe watching Gardner try to guard on the perimeter vs that Lazcweski or whatever guy on Notre Dame

2 Likes

McKoy didn’t play a single minute. He’d probably be playing 20+ for us.

7 Likes

Thats brutal. and not sure it makes sense

1 Like

That’s the frustrating part. McKoy had a big role for us. He could have provided that rebounding/rim protector role while also allowing Gardner to play the 5/get more opportunities to shoot 3s. With Kadin off the bench for 20 minutes (and we wouldn’t have to play papi so much). But it is what it is. COVID probably exacerbated any negative feelings he had and wanting to be closer to home.

I think one of the UNC posters close to McKoy also talked about his frustrations with the ball staying too much in one player’s hands.

On a sarcastic note, maybe McKoy referred to being uncaged not as being free but moreso just being temporarily uncaged while someone got him a bigger cage to live in.

3 Likes

Good line, lol. He would have been an important part of our team. Probably the 6th man and could possibly have started some. We could have used his Hustle and energy. TB tried to get him to stay. He got some really bad advice

1 Like

How is everyone feeling about tomorrow’s game? On paper a team we should beat easily but we are still struggling to find our rhythm. Hoping this is a game we are able to lock down on D. I weirdly feel better about guarding UGA than a team like Navy that fires without conscious

2 Likes

Doesn’t McCoy have a GF at UNC or something along those lines? The move to Chapel Hill feels more like a homesick or lovesick move than a basketball move.

2 Likes

Charlotte

Georgia plays small ball. Will be interesting if we run a lot of Jayden at the 5, Igor at the 4.

1 Like

Actually think his GF is a UNCC, as that was the original rumor for his destination. UNC made sense before they immediately recruited over him by getting Manek and Garcia. Those guys aren’t there he’s getting lots of PT. Either way it was is a poor choice. He’ll probably be a consistent dno come conference play. He’d be getting 20mins a night for us along side and in for Gardner.

3 Likes

Regarding Bobby Pettiford who is at Kansas (someone I wanted us to give a look when he decomitted, he’s friends with Jayden Gardner and Trey Murphy/ from that north carolina grassroots scene).

It is strange that UNC really hasn’t had a true point guard since maybe Colby White. A bunch of combo/undersized shooting guards who want to play pg and their 2022 and 2023 guard commits are the same.

1 Like

I watched UNC’s first game and thought Dawson Garcia was really slow and soft.

1 Like

I kinda feel the same way about Tyler Nickels going to UNC in 2022. He fits well with Mike Young’s coaching style and culture and would have gotten a lot minutes early on at VT. But now he’s probably going to watch from the bench as higher rated players at UNC get all the playing time before transferring after a year or two.

4 Likes

Tyler Nickel will fit UNC’s theme of having players who cant defend anyone though.

4 Likes

If nickel can shoot, he’ll play. If he can’t he won’t.

Michigan losing by double digits to unranked AZ. Their second loss this week to an unranked team. Rough week for Michigan.

3 Likes

The new AZ coach will do some things there. He was a big part of Gonzaga’s recruiting success.

3 Likes