'21 - '22 Outside ACC Basketball Chat

Wonderful idea. Painter should’ve used it in 2019 I guess.

Dang, it looked like Purdue had it in hand and then I checked the score and it was a double OT Purdue win.

Purdue has killed it recruiting recently and their guys have panned out. Happy for them honestly - I like Painter and think they deserve a final four at some point. That said, am annoyed they got both Furst and Kaufman while we offered both and got neither.

2 Likes

Wonder what Purdue has to offer that is so appealing. Have no idea

3 Likes

Purdue is Big Man U. They’ve earned that reputation, and you see it this year with Edey and Williams.

They do their own thing when it comes to recruiting. Don’t go after many and a lot of them they go for aren’t very popular. Probably benefited a little from Indiana being down in recent years but even the two impact in-state players they have didn’t have the Hoosiers beating down the door. They were easy gets for them.

1 Like

They play a beautiful brand of basketball… one of the best games I’ve seen in a while. Give and go’s. Screen and rolls, traditional post ups, back door cuts. Shooters who aren’t afraid. And compete hard on D too.

1 Like

This reminds me of Kurtis Blow rappin basketball

1 Like

Joe Barry Carrol gave me a Hersheys bar in their locker room after they advanced to the Final 8. I think was 1980 in Rupp Arena. thats when I knew HGN!

2 Likes

Why didn’t Ivey wind up at ND? Imagine him plus that other ND / South Bend kid who’s getting lottery buzz (Wesley?)

Just to cheer you guys up, Elon destroyed JMU tonight, 90-67.

2 Likes

Looks like Ken addressed this head on, on Sperber’s podcast.
https://twitter.com/hoopvision68/status/1483841554343202820
If I get a chance to listen, I will report back.

Time for my regular gripe about these rankings systems. Something I noticed yesterday.

Liberty moved up 17 spots in yesterday’s NET, just one spot behind UVA. They did it by winning a home game against 200+ ranked Jacksonville. By 39.

9 Likes

Yeah, the efficiency metrics are too sensitive, IMO, to beating bad teams by big margins. I’m not a math whiz, so I don’t really know a way around it.

I think losing close games to good teams is notable. I think “struggling” to beat bad teams is also notable. But my intuition is that beating a bad team by 35+ shouldn’t be worth much more than beating a bad team by 15+, but I don’t have the foggiest idea how to express that in an efficiency metric.

1 Like

The Purdue-Indiana game has been great. But my question is when did Fox start using the old NBA on NBC intro music? Threw me off.

4 Likes

Best sports themed music of all time. Get so damn nostalgic every time I hear it

3 Likes

https://youtu.be/r-uSWAJd9GE

This is now what I think of when I hear that song

3 Likes

I noticed it at the start of this season and every time assume that Bob Costas Isaiah Thomas and Peter Vesey are going to pop up abd break down Jordan anf the Bulls latest run

1 Like

Titus and Tate mentioned that Fox bought it a few years back. Classic SNL skit:

6 Likes

Ha, beat me to it

Yikes, things are tough for Penny at Memphis. First, I heard he demoted Rasheed Wallace. Tonight, they lose to SMU. Then this, talking to a reporter:

5 Likes