2nd AAU live period

Only if Bond goes to Marquette right? So Bond is going to Marquette? Yep I parsing words… :thinking:

4 Likes

I’m just gonna take my best shot at interpreting HGN and say that wasn’t what he meant and he was just saying that should we go hard in Sensabaugh’s recruitment, we could land him. We presumably wouldn’t do that if we landed Bond. But don’t think Sensebaugh’s potential openness to us should be interpreted as saying we’ve already lost out on Bond.

4 Likes

I know and you’re probably exactly right, as he mentioned the other day Bond’s recruitment is at the finish line and Sensabaugh is at the start

1 Like

The rumors have been out there of Jeff Sheppard not being a Cal fan. In looking up the senior Sheppard’s Kentucky stats, I see he was recruited by and played 3 years for Rick Pitino before Tubby took over in Sheppard’s senior year. Don’t Pitino and Cal not get along particularly well? Comments I’ve seen from Sheppard trying to defuse the situation seem tepid or forced to me. Maybe trying not to aggravate the entire Kentucky fan base.

Side note that I find interesting - Pitino and Tubby have both offered Reed Sheppard. Not that it’s remotely likely, but I’m guessing not a lot of guys who have coached father and son.

2 Likes

Wow, I was having a bad dream that I was stuck on the Sabre boards. Thank goodness I woke up.

4 Likes

While I know that Bond and Sensabaugh are bright new playthings for those who follow UVa recruiting, aren’t you too easily dismissing the potential contributions of McCorkle, Murray, and Milicic? To my way of thinking, Bond would provide a defensive skillset at a different level while Sensabaugh would be a luxury redundancy. I imagine either, or both, would be a reserve their first year. There is some talent on Virginia’s wings even if it is unproven, and I have confidence that Coach Bennett and company can scheme matters to maximize strengths and minimize deficiencies.

3 Likes

None of those are lockdown wing defenders nor the type of guard Sensabaugh is. I don’t think it’s dismissive of those three and the unique things they bring to the table. But they don’t have what Sensabaugh and Bond can bring long term to our roster, even if they are development pieces.

2 Likes

One underestimateth a Murray

1 Like

Not really. I think im on record saying our best line up by the end of the season may have Murray in it as a floor space.

He just doesn’t have the skillset the other two have, and that’s not an insult like its better or worse. It’s just different.

It’s just amazing to me that simply raising the possibility that a recruit might not choose UVA is viewed as an unacceptable level of negativity.

The consensus narrative around here is that UVA leads for Traudt. Then an article comes out in which he says a) he wants to take an official to Gonzaga; and b) he wants to play in a fast paced offense. I think it is pretty reasonable to say these are not good signs for us, but some just don’t want to hear it. I’m not saying he’s not going to pick UVA. I certainly hope he does. I’m just pointing out a fairly obvious negative data point, not because I want it to be negative, but because it’s right there. If you want to bury your head in the sand and not acknowledge it, then go for it, but you have no right to shout others down when they raise points that run counter to your opinion or hopes. I’m not trying to offend anyone by disagreeing with their view. I was just trying to discuss recruiting. I thought that’s what we were supposed to be doing, but maybe only cheerleading is acceptable.

5 Likes

When every recruit, including our own recruits as recently as Taine, mention how they want to play fast, the data point is meaningless. It’s about as meaningful as a kid saying they care about a schools academics.

2 Likes

**Deleting comment here actually because conflict on the internet is never a good use of time. Let’s lock down some recruits and get everyone in a good place!

14 Likes

With both parents being former UK basketball stars, having grown up as an avid UK fan, Cal pressing reasonably hard, and intense home state pressure, Sheppard will have to be a very unusual high school kid to go in a different direction. It’s possible and Jeff Lamp is perhaps a great example, but this feels like an inevitable, disappointing recruiting miss.

Unsolicited opinion: you’re refusal to simply drop this is making this thread borderline unreadable.

Dear god. Some people are glass half full. Some are glass half empty. We know where you fall.

Can we please, PLEASE, just drop it?

8 Likes

Fair enough WFS - let’s discuss by all means. Others may disagree, but I get a chuckle from time to time out of the “we’re FCKD" posts. Optimism and pessimism regarding what particular recruits say and do are fair game. And although I miss TUGARD, I do not miss any posts that whine about treatment or responses from another poster. I have loved LRA because of thoughtful posts and insights, humor, and great content from a group that is passionate about UVa sports. I spend way too much time here and justify it to myself because of the foregoing. I’m too old to find another place to waste my time and the few brain cells remaining. Thanks and I look forward to the next judiciously used "We’re FCKED”. Just like I want to hear optimism on why Isaac Traudt, Leon Bond, Brice Sensabaugh, Reed Shepherd (how do we change his name to Isaac something?), Cupps, and the other names thrown around are all coming to Virginia - I know why, because its AWSME! Who knew using “*” messes up typface. Another thing I too old for.

3 Likes

Yes. Fair enough. I apologize. Again. Clearly my fate is to remain misunderstood.

2 Likes

To defend WFS some he’s just explaining where he’s coming from and explaining how others are maybe misunderstanding him, even schtick aside.

4 Likes

Sheppard is the one guy I’m going to be unreasonably optimistic on (I feel reserved optimism for Traudt and hope to win a 50/50 toss-up for Bond are still pretty reasonable). I just feel like he’s a much better UVA fit than a Kentucky fit. His family also knows how all of this works - they aren’t new to the world of college ball. You’re totally right that typically, when all of these things lined up, it’d be 90+% for Kentucky, but I just think we’ve got a much better shot than would normally be the case.

I’m also genuinely curious to see how hard Cal actually pushes. I can’t tell yet whether he made that offer following attending a game with all of the assistants because Sheppard is actually very high on their recruiting board or if it was meant to serve some other purposes as well. Will be interesting to watch the months ahead.

6 Likes

Not sure if Sheppard is a point guard or moreso a combo guard prospect. Would still need that floor general in the 2023 class if we were fortunate enough to land Reed.

2 Likes

That’s an excellent point about where Shep is exactly on their board. Cal will have to tip his hand at some point with regard to other 23 guards

5 Likes