Redoing this poll:

Who will get a double bye?

• Clemson
  • Pitt
  • Both
  • Neither

0 voters

I’m staying strong at “neither”

I went both because of strength of schedule. Clemson and Pitt aren’t as good as the teams below them, but they’ve got decent schedule advantages, especially Pitt.

2 Likes

Clemson would need a total collapse to not make it. With 8 games left, they’ve got a 2+ game lead on everyone not named Virginia. They could go 4-4 and still would probably get the double bye. They could go 3-5 and maybe still get it.

Correction: only a 1.5-game lead on Pitt.

Clemson will lose 2 of their next 3 games.

You are correct. It was changed because it puts the teams that play on Sunday at a disadvantage in their first NCAA tourney weekend.

1 Like

Probably true, but then I think they go 3-2 in their last five games and that’s good enough for the double bye.

1 Like

Wait, how do those “Top 4” percentages work?

Odds of finishing tied for 4th or better. (He doesn’t do tiebreaks, so this doesn’t exactly equate to “odds of a double bye”.)

Ah, it includes ties, that explains it. I was thinking “I’m gonna take the Under on 4.5 teams being in the Top 4”.

2 Likes

Tech really needed that Q1 road win last night. Losing to a good team on the road doesn’t kill their chances, but they are running out of Q1 opportunities. I always expect UVA to lose at Tech (I’m just that way) but I don’t think Tech can win down in Duke. Their season is over. It’s a damn shame.

8 Likes

If they win every one of their remaining games except Duke they might be in. That’s why I especially want the win on Saturday because giving them hope down the stretch that they could make a run to the tourney is going to be annoying. Let’s just squash all doubt.

For the record, if they do beat us I still see them dropping at least one more game besides Duke but still… don’t want to give that fanbase hope

6 Likes

I say this as someone who isn’t necessarily President of the BVP fan club, but BVP is getting short-changed in these “most impactful” transfer lists (I saw Sammy V. do a top 15 overall recently, too). The lists that are getting put together are really lists of transfers with best counting stats. BVP is the main difference (or at least one of them) between us being a non-seeded NIT team, who got a home game because there’s a new arena in Starkville, and a team headed for a 2-5 seed (or thereabouts) in the big dance.

The change with BVP in our offense is not underrated here or among UVa fans, but I think it may be amongst the national guys, and apparently the conference guys, too.

5 Likes

We have to win. We can’t give them hope. Hokies have no honor.

Hwd Edcadmin GIF by Harborne Web Design Ltd

5 Likes
5 Likes

I think Armaan’s improvement is the main difference rather than BVP. But otherwise point taken. His impact isn’t the kind that is going to be noticed outside the local media.

14 Likes

One could say it’s all 4 guard improvement over anything else … all 3 returners have played way better offensively … and they were doing so before BVP started … and then add IMac over Poindexter

9 Likes

Yeah, and specifically, I’d say 3pt shooting (if we’re picking a thing rather than a player). From like 32% to 38% is a world of difference. But if I have to pick a player it’s Armaan.

8 Likes