ACC Basketball January

Bacot also pushed Hima in the back on the Nance missed free throw at the end. Thats why the rebound was not secured… refs truly gifted this one to the Heels

Why?
That’s a flagrant 1 by definition … the refs aren’t supposed to put their own spin on it … the dude tried to make a basketball move but he did it right through the defender’s face with his elbow as the defender had legal guarding position … easy call really … and it came on the heels of a bad no call for a Flagrant 1 in the Miami Duke game on Saturday …
Biggest difference in the game was that Edwards fouled out and Bacot didn’t … and at least 2 of the calls on Edwards were phantom fouls …
The Love play with 10 seconds left was eerily similar to the Teven play vs Mich State … and the officials got both wrong … for some reason a lot of officials struggle to call pushoffs on throw ins.

2 Likes

That’s why I’m glad I’m not a ref. It looked like a legit basketball move to me in real time with inadvertent contact to the face. Didn’t think it was excessive or unnecessary. Maybe it was avoidable. A foul for sure. Agree Duke got hosed, but no tears shed there.

3 Likes

If that had been Kadin it would have been called a blocking call or no call at all. I’m highly convinced of that.

4 Likes

I don’t disagree…

1 Like

Think that’s like the 3rd of 4th time I’ve seen Mintz try to be the hero this year and completely fail. Not the guy I would’ve wanted at the end there if I’m a Cuse fan.

Also, what the heck was Girard thinking saving that ball under the basket. That’s 5th grade stuff

7 Likes

I agreed with the call too; though I have no background as a basketball ref. The lesson is, don’t go recklessly barreling right through a defender-- only bad things happen.

4 Likes

Especially in college basketball where the officials love to call charges more than blocks in those instances …

3 Likes

If you watched, the charge he called earlier (same two players) over toward the wing. Ref blew the whistle but seemed to think on it and make delayed half ass charge call on Mintz ha

1 Like

We see you @brogdonfanpage

12 Likes

Kadin is going to have to learn to stop fouling opponents on the elbows with his face. He’s going to get thrown out of the league with that kind of dirty play.

6 Likes

Yeah that one was much harder in real time … absolutely have to referee the defense on those plays … watch the defender and his feet first and then see if his feet got there prior to contact …
Did he have 2 feet on the floor while facing his opponent prior to either the shooter elevating or prior to contact? The rule provides no space or time component to the rule … simply did he establish legal guarding position first even if by a centimeter.

1 Like

RJ Davis has some amazingly quick feet as well. Mintz makes these calls really tough kinda by the way he plays. Almost over commits to barreling forward which I guess is a charge?

Edit: ref has a great view though

3 Likes

I’m not a basketball ref, but if you look out of control as an offensive player (e.g. barreling forward or stumbling backwards), that’s probably not the best starting point for your team in a charge vs. block play. And I agree that Mintz invites this with the way he plays. I’m assuming he will get better with more coaching and experience, and I think Mintz is a very talented player otherwise.

5 Likes

Possession before the charge was bad too. Mintz just pounding the ball for 15-20 seconds, zero passes in the halfcourt, forced a bad iso jumper.

One good opportunity could have iced the game. Bad way to lose at home.

5 Likes

It sounds like the wheels are beginning to fall off.
Duke Fans Are Spoiled (dukebasketballreport.com)

3 Likes

TJ Power + Caleb Foster decommit?

4 Likes

Indeed

Duke Fans Are Nerds

1 Like

Your link didn’t work for me for some reason.

3 Likes

Great adjustments since Saturday for Wake. Gave up another 10 3s in the first half.

9 Likes