ACC Basketball January

So roughly:

• Box DBPR is strictly box stats (so blocks & steals, I guess), weighted in some fashion. It’s an input to DBPR.
  • DBPR is a much more sophisticated (but much more black box-y) formula, working in all kinds of stuff, attempting to measure “contribution to team defense”

It’s better to be good in DBPR, but it’s harder to explain or justify what exactly it’s measuring or how.

1 Like

that’s hilarious - by our complete absence…

2 Likes

How are they both #1 in the ACC?

The 2 stats they lead in are different metrics

Is your ranking for either influenced by how good your teammates / team is on defense?

In other words, your relative contribution to your team on defense might be much much higher if you are a good defender and your teammates are mediocre. But if you are a good defender and your teammates are also very good, then your contribution is relatively less to the overall team. Your other teammates are contributing as well.

I’m asking because that’s how the metric definition might be interpreted + UNC is not as good as Virginia defensively.

1 Like

Honestly… I take the absence as a complement… we are where we are supposed to be… no one is surprised at the success. There were no negative story lines… and currently we are not really in a position that is surprising in any way.

4 Likes

They are both mostly individual stats … if anything having a good defensive team around you makes you better in the stats … not worse.

10 games left. Broken up pretty neatly as 4-Louisville-4-Louisville. Obviously have to take care of business with the cards. 3-1 in each of the other two segments leaves us at 16-4. 3-1 and 2-2 puts us at 15-5.

3 Likes

DJ Burns is fun to watch on offense, he’s got nimble feet for a guy his size.

However, he more or less doesn’t move on defense. Not sure why Wake isn’t running a ball-screen with his main every possession.

Edit: Oh right, Wake’s bigs are soooooft.

1 Like

Burns has to go into drop coverage on almost every ball screen, he’s even worse than Dickinson in that regard. Kihei should have a field day with him.

NC State’s guards do a pretty credible job of fighting through the screen, but yeah, it ain’t pretty with Burns out there on defense.

70-66 NCSU at the U4 TO. Good game, worth watching. The Hildreth-Morsell battle has been fun.

2 Likes

I can’t hate- I like Twinkle toes DJ Burns.

1 Like

NCST holds on to win 79-77. Burns with 31 and 9 boards.

1 Like

KenPom predicted 78-77. So close! Joiner was supposed to go 1-2 at the line there at the end obviously

Someone check on deakfreak

1 Like

I watched the end… it was a three at the buzzer that went in for Wake… so the score looked closer than it was.

Watching the GT Duke game… looks like GT offense is two dudes stand in the corners… the five stands in the lane… and the two guards just run around and take difficult contested shots.

1 Like

Sounds like they are taking inspiration from the offense run at State Farm Arena around the block

1 Like

oh lol I meant KenPom was close. Missed the exact score by only 1.