ACC Basketball November

@Kamikaze_Hoo and @Hooandtrue i think that Traudt and Buchanan are both a bit too slight to play the 5 full time and match up against the Alabama’s, Arkansas and Uconns of the world…hell even dook when they have their Paolo Banchhero and Mark Williams of the world.

Regarding Salt he was our 5th man for most of our really successful years under Tony, and even when he was benched for Mamadi, and Braxton Key for the Final four and championship games that would still make him the 8th or 9th player on the roster getting playing time. So, yeah I can have a role playing Jack Salt who can contribute as the 5th or 9th player.

2 Likes

I think at the end of the day Tony Bennett agrees with you and @lodger96 with the offer to Thomas Sorber (who is probably the perfect player for if we are wanting that bruiser big) and the interest in Raleigh Burgess.

That being said, wing army until the day I die.

Also I consider Kadin a big wing because of his perimeter defense.

4 Likes

UNC and Kansas go down. Texas plays Creighton and Illinois coming up. With a loss in there, and if we get by Michigan, it could be #1 Houston vs #2 UVA in Charlottesville. That would be fun.

13 Likes

Hunter Dickinson is a true center (who can step out). I don’t think Juwan Howard regrets recruiting him.

He’s gonna when we own him Tuesday night

Tony would have an aneurysm watching Dickerson guard a pick n roll.

Packline needs those versatile athletes in the front court.

The dream is a packline where you can switch everyone and not be punished for hedging. And the mobility/slashing/3pt shooting makes the other team have to go small.

2 Likes

No, he won’t regret it either way. Enough with the hyperbole.

And I disagree that the perfect packline defense can switch 1-5. Where is your rim protection with a bunch of 6’6 and 6’7 wings?

Perfect packline is length on the wings (long arms and a quick first step and twitch more than height), a bulldog one-one-one defender up front, an interchangeable 3/4 and a rim protector who can hedge and recover/close-out.

Essentially Villanova’s 2018 team, but with Diakite.

3 Likes

Leon Bond and Ryan Dunn had 3 blocks vs Monmouth. Both of them will be exponentially better rim protectors than Salt or Papi. Like Wilkins and Atkins and Mitchell (who were all different variations of wings/modern forwards).

The UConn center is the a good modern center. And Buchanan will be good too. Has those post moves but ability to play on the perimeter and defender multiple positions. Has wing like qualities.

Diakite is a wing in my mind. That kind of forward is the perfect front court player. Can rim protect and play on the perimeter. Shoots 3s and can defend all the spots on the floor.

Rim protection is about more than actually blocking shots. Papi isn’t great, I agree, but how many times did Jack Salt go two hands straight up and alter shots? If done correctly, a 6’11” brick wall can do a pretty good job protecting the rim.

6 Likes

Outside of Duke UNC and UVA, I’m not sure there’s even a sure fire tournament team in that group. Miami very likely gets in. I thought VT looked good early but turns out it was just against awful competition and they look really bad lately

3 Likes

Would never have guessed it preseason, but NC State has a better tournament resume than VA Tech at this point

11 Likes

Still not terribly meaningful, but now at least slightly meaningful, Torvik preseason bias removed edition has us at 13, Duke at 19, and NC State at 32.

1 Like

That’s fair. No doubt that height can at least cause a psychological barrier in the shooter.

Just my preference really.

1 Like

The only thing Howard regrets about Dikenson is that usually the coach is the oldest person on the team. Tough to coach a player that old

2 Likes

I watched the second half of the NC State game last night against Butler. They are playing well, and are probably much better than their preseason pick of 10th in the ACC. They have a lot of talent. But seem very typical of a Keatts team. A lot of undisciplined play at times. Capable of boat racing a team (hopefully not us this year), but also capable of falling apart and losing by 30. My best guess at this very early point in the season is UVA, Duke, UNC, easily in the tournament, with Tech, ND and State on the bubble most of the winter but getting in.

2 Likes

Swap ND for Miami and this is where I’m at. I think ND will just miss it, they need some quality non-con wins but right now they look not good defensively while Miami at least has a quality win over Providence

5 Likes

The league appears to be in 4 clear cut tiers
Tier 1: UVA, UNC, Duke (These teams should easily make the tournament and could contend for a top seed. UVA has done enough out of the league already, a 1-1 performance against @Michigan/Houston would give them one of the better NC resumes out there. UNC/Duke need a top tier OOC win or two to be in the hunt for a 1/2 seed barring a dominant ACC performance).
Tier 2: NC State, Miami, VT, ND (So far these teams have not torpedoed theirselves yet out of conference and appear to have enough to post a winning record in league play. NC State is in the best position of these 4 as wins over Dayton/Butler are not earth shattering but are solid and they have avoided bad losses. Miami/ND/VT have avoided bad losses as well but need more quality wins out of the league to make their case better considering the weakness of the league again this year).
Tier 3: Clemson, WF, Syracuse. (These teams could win their way into tier 2 for sure. But have each suffered a questionable loss already (Syracuse losing at home to Colgate, Wake Forest to Loyola Marymount on a neutral floor). Clemson lost at South Carolina which usually isnt a horrible loss but SC has fallen off a cliff since that game. It wouldnt be shocking to see any of these teams enter the mix for a bid but they could also easily be an NIT or no post season team.
Tier 4: Pitt, BC, GT, FSU, UL. Pitt has avoided a bad loss and is probably the best of these 5 but they need to actually beat someone. GT doesnt have a bad loss yet either but they are the least talented team in the league so they have no real chance. BC has two horrendous losses but isnt 100% healthy yet. FSU and UL have too many bad losses already they are done.

26 Likes

@Raleigh_Hoo welcome to LRA!

Hopefully UVa can take care of the OOC business and become 1A… optimistic, but why not?

10 Likes

Agree 100% with those tiers. And… it’s really sad what’s happened to the ACC. I grew up during the years when the ACC was the premier basketball league in the country, with quality teams from top to bottom. And now… we suck. Take out those top 3 teams, and we’re a mid-major conference. For that matter, I don’t even see any programs on the rise. Maybe VT. Hopefully WF. But… not really.

5 Likes

The league just has way too many teams in my opinion. Impossible to keep everyone relevant. You know me man, take it back to 1992!

9 Likes

Thanks for gettin involved @Raleigh_Hoo Thats some in depth shit

3 Likes