ACC POY at this point

I think it has to go to one of Sam or Jay, as we are kicking ass in the ACC and the other “contenders” are around .500 in the conference.

4 Likes

Agreed

Poll from 15 ACC writers:

1. Champagnie (29 points)
  2. Carlik Jones (16 points)
  3. Huff (13 points)
  4. Aluma (10 points)
  5. Alvarado (8 points)

With Pitt falling off a cliff, don’t really see how Champagnie can win the award.

3 Likes

No Hauser is… something

5 Likes

Our good buddy Myron Medcalf at ESPN.com listed Jones and Matthew Hurt as the favorites for ACC POY yesterday. Interesting that this panel of beat writers gave Hurt only 3 third-place votes.

That is, yikes…maybe Sam and Jay can officially knock Hurt out of any consideration this Saturday.

4 Likes

Sam tallied six points on 3 second-place votes. So he finished 6th in the poll.

Guess winning only matters when it’s a convenient excuse to give the award to a Carolina player over Mike Scott

1 Like

A note on methodology for those who don’t subscribe to The Athletic: the 15 writers were asked to rank their top 3 candidates. Author Brendan Marks then awarded points based on reverse value (3 pts for a first-place vote, 2 for a 2nd, 1 for a 3rd). Jay received 2 firsts, 3 seconds, and a third.

1 Like

This is BS. Carlik Jones hasn’t played in what 3-4 weeks? Champagnie is on a sub 500 team :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

Think it’s a couple of factors working against our guys:

1. Hauser and Huff are splitting the UVA vote
  2. Our counting stats are always lower due to our pace
  3. Our guys have not dominated in the big-name ranked match ups which most writers are probably watching (Huff had four points at FSU for example)
  4. Think a fair number of folks now assume Tony could make any team win and fairly give a lot out of the credit for our success to him, but in doing so treat some of our players as if they are interchangeable and not individually special
3 Likes

I actually wouldn’t mind him or Aluma winning it. Clear best players on top 4 teams. But the guys from .500 teams ahead of Huff, Hauser, and MJ Walker is a joke. Wouldn’t happen if you put Duke and UNC on our jerseys instead of UVA and FSU.

1 Like

Carlik Jones is a nice player, but he’s only at the top of the POY conversation because of counting stats bias. Not as much pace-related, as Louisville is in the low 200s in pace, but more due to volume. He’s shooting 44% from 2 and 31% from 3.

2 Likes

Carlick Jones should be 3rd team at best. He is a high usage guy / stat counter.

Huff really should be POY based on his impact in helping the Hoos to the top of the ACC. The stat counting voters will hurt him though. And he needs to avoid any more FSU-like stinkers.

2 Likes

Yikes result for Lousville / Carlik Jones POY right now vs UNC…

1 Like

Hurt made his case tonight.

2 Likes

5 Likes

I tweeted it out but that cracks me up. Big storyline for this team has been that Sam is just a power forward and then he’s listed as a top-5 small forward. Deserves it but tells u how much the national media pays attention.

5 Likes

All you need to know is they gave Rui the award two years ago. Dude might have played 10 minutes at small forward that entire season.

2 Likes

So who the hell wins POTY now? I feel like no team is good enough to have a player of the year, and FSU is too spread to have one

3 Likes