ACCT: Clemson vs UVA thread (9:30pm Friday)

The question of SEC vs. ACC hires brings to mind new money vs. old money. Outside of Kentucky the SEC basketball programs are relatively new players to the scene and so is the money and traditions around them. The ACC has the reputation of the blue blood conference, and the schools are steeped in tradition and old money on and off the court.

That difference could certainly play into the hiring process.

2 Likes

I think the SEC has coaches who can win a lot of games, but they also have guys I would be embarrassed to have as my coach:

Oats (after this murder)
Calipari
Beard (rumored to Ole Miss)
and several others

I am very proud of having CTB represent my two degrees.

I never want us to hire a slimeball. If others schools did it in the ACC and that raised the conference’s profile, I might be ok with it.

6 Likes

Guys - it’s Clemson. Clemson basketball. Outside of those few who worry about the ACC, does anybody really give a sh*t about Clemson basketball or who its coach is? It’s Clemson. Clemson and “relevant basketball program” don’t appear in the same sentence - ever.

3 Likes

I’m Kind of NIMBY about this. Hope we don’t do it but I’m fine if some of the struggling programs do.

3 Likes

They’ll probably hire the equivalent of Kevin Stallings and spiral their program for 6 years like Pitt.

3 Likes

Inflation adjusted… Papi has a UVa degree, I think

3 Likes

This is where the “I want to lose in the semis” argument really breaks down, I think. We’re talking about the difference between 5 days’ rest and 6 days’ rest before a Thursday game. (Or 6 vs 7 if you get a Friday game.) It’s not the most compelling upside.

5 Likes

Yeah, good reminder that you’re not guaranteed to get a replacement level coach.

3 Likes

This is my stance as well. Kadin is the better option for this game, but I always feel like we are better off with him coming off the bench because it is difficult (though not entirely impossible) for him to foul 2 guys with his face if he isn’t in the game.

I’m most worried about PJ Hall draining 3s on us all night, and I think we are going to feel the loss of BVP more tonight than we did last night.

9 Likes

Yes. Clemson is a BVP game.

Cut the cast and splash the stache!

5 Likes

When I was at UVa, Clemson football stank and their hoops was top 25. UVa football was top 25 and hoops stanks. Was I misled?

4 Likes

Agree. I didn’t mind not having him last night (that much), but now we need him. A big upside to BVP is he gives us lineup flexibility depending on matchups. The downside is we tended not to vary our lineups for matchups that much anyway, we still just settled on one.

5 Likes

That feels like the most on-brand/likely course. Unless Clemson moves a bunch of cash from their football budget to bring in a big name, I don’t think many are clamoring to live on the SC/Ga boarder.

1 Like

Whatever happens happens tonight, and I really want this team to at least make the Sweet 16 next week, so if a loss means a little extra rest, all good (assuming we all come out healthy and all).

That said, a big part of me really wants Kihei to get an ACCT championship; it’s one honor missing from his otherwise stacked resume.

9 Likes

It’s an interesting topic to ponder. I don’t have much faith in Clemson hoops, I consider him marginally above replacement level. But he’s clearly no home run, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they roll the dice and boot him.

3 Likes

It’s Clemson
However with that being said, I worry a little about match ups tonight. If we play d tonight half as well as we did last night , not worried !

1 Like

Brownell is going nowhere. Clemneck knows that is as good as they can do from a coaching perspective.

Someone said it earlier but tonight is when we miss BVP the versatility he offers is big. Essentially now the Hoos are locked into blocker mover old style play. It could work but there’s no alternative option

3 Likes

Papi and Sheds administered 7 fouls last night. Let’s deal out 7-8 tonight to make sure we set the right tone of physicality.

2 Likes

Honestly I think they could do better than Brownell. He’s not bad, just distinctively mediocre when it comes to recruiting and X’s and O’s. It is difficult given they’ll always be a football-first school, but I mean FSU and Miami are in the same boat and both have twice as many NCAAT berths since Brownell was hired in 2010.

1 Like