ACCT Final: Duke vs UVA thread (8:30pm Saturday)

The DBR board is much better. Fans there are pretty knowledgeable and more tolerable…at least for Dookies.

That said, even there it’s hard to find 3 consecutive posts about UVa that doesn’t reference the call at the end of regulation 4 weeks ago.

2 Likes

No matter what happens tonight, we cannot let it distract from the true reality of the ACC.

https://twitter.com/patfinn45/status/1502888418086297601

25 Likes

So we figure Scheyer will continue the K approach and switch every screen against sides? Almost have to hope he does so we get a chance to see it in a game before the NCAAT

6 Likes

Probably. Not as worried about that with this team because their guards aren’t the biggest or strongest. I said this in the Clemson thread, but JG can cook guards on switches, and I like Kihei and Reece against their bigs. Like, they really shouldn’t want to switch Young out on one of our guards, that’s a big problem for them.

5 Likes

Didn’t Kihei cook him a few times last game on the switch or am I remembering another game?

I recall him dominating some big for 4 or 6 crucial points in the 2nd half

4 Likes

Just depends which version of Reece shows up. If he’s getting to and converting at the rim it’s probably not going to work. If Reece can’t get into the lane it probably will make us look inept offensively

2 Likes

sparta GIF

5 Likes

You’re naive if you don’t think the refs will be influenced by last game and the media attention it got. This is why The Athletic doing a 1,000 word piece on it matters. Refs will feel the subtle, implicit pressure to make sure it doesn’t seem like they favor the Hoos. That will work magic in all kinds of ways.

We just need to come out with intention and roast these fools. 8v5 let’s win it.

7 Likes

I think refs have too much pride/ego to care about bigger storylines like that. For example, how many times do you see a coach (or player in the NBA) get T’d up because the ref wants to put them in their place? I could see in-arena fan reactions influencing calls if the crowd is tilted more towards Duke, home court advantage tends to come through in foul disparities.

5 Likes

I may as well, from Charlotte!

Yeah. Was it KenPom who did the thing years ago where he found that most of home field advantage in most sports was in fouls? Soccer was the biggest and baseball was the smallest.

1 Like

We’re 2.5 point dogs but we covered the last two lines by way more than that.

If we play like we have this tournament, we’re cutting down the nets tonight and adding a second banner to this season’s haul, a nearly unbelievable accomplishment for long time fans.

I just rewatched the 14-0 run from last night. The offense was gorgeous. Beautiful cuts and passes led to lay ups! D has been great all tourney.

2014 in Greensboro was my favorite Hoos memory, first ACCT title in my lifetime, until April 2019. Let’s repeat that outcome even if it’s never as good as the first time.

6 Likes

Bob Seger voice: “Working on our NET moves…”

https://twitter.com/RoccoMiller8/status/1634563515771133952?s=20

6 Likes

We were woikin’. Woikin’ and practicing.

2 Likes

This is Duke’s coronation. The powers that be will do everything they can to make sure it goes according to their script. The ACC and NCAA and ESPN and the one that sits above them all (NIKE) all are heavily invested in Duke’s success.

A little NCAAT talk. I know they’re pretty much worthless but neither Lunardi or Palm has us in Greensboro as a 4. They have Tenn as a 4 and IU as 4 respectively. In their brackets we are in Albany and Orlando

3 Likes

That’s some BS, Tennessee is overrated according to the blguthrie eye test.

3 Likes

As said, don’t put much credence in those. Just irritating. Will be moot if we win tonight.

3 Likes

Exactly…as much as we hate on Lunardi, is anyone a better option? Palm? Genuinely curious as ESPN bombards us with Lunardi.

I think the best option is bracketmatrix.com. Look at the aggregate, especially the ones that have updated already today.

5 Likes