American Fast food chatter

I don’t know why, but I just love a Five Guys double burger. I know it’s not the best out there, but it just hits a spot for me. Unwrapping the tin foil, it being so cheesy and smashed together - love it.

5 Likes

Props to five guys. They were the go to when they first opened in Arlington and I was still working on the hill. They made it out here about 8 years ago.

Gotta say that In-N-Out is seriously overrated. Wonderbread buns can’t hold the burger and fries are lame.

2 Likes

Nope. Been on my list to try ever since foolishly not getting one last time I was in Texas.

My biggest food regret was spending a week in Nashville and not making a trek out to Prince’s or Hattie B’s…or preferably both. It’d be like going to Nola and not eating at Willie Mae’s. Gotta do it once in your life.

3 Likes

I have never been as consistently and uncomfortably full as I was in New Orleans. It bordered on unpleasant. But the food was so good - had to power through.

3 Likes

Dude, fantastic place for food, booze and music. Outside of the standard debauchery, that city is so cool. We have some friends that live there in the Garden District and it is truly an incredible place. I love any Po’ Boy, but especially soft shell crab. Almost anything is really unique and pretty good. Love that place.

2 Likes

If we’re going to talk New Orleans, we’re going to move far off of fast food. Best thing about the food is that on just about every block you can find absolutely exquisite fine dining, or go to the dive next door a fantastic meal as well.

2 Likes

http://www.comperelapin.com/

Try this place next time you’re there!

2 Likes

Yess @CaptainThurman15 that’s what I’m talking about! There are so many hidden gems in that city! I will definitely hit that place up. I think we are heading there in 2022 at some point. Thank you! Hit me up with any others. I have a few traditions there: 1) Eat some Po’boy’s 2)Go listen to jazz 3) hit up Aiden Gill for a straight razor shave (usually twice if I can) 4) hit some local music stores 5) Eat at great restaurants. One of my favorite places .

1 Like

https://gwfins.com/

Or this place if you’re feeling flush. One of the best meals I’ve ever had. But Compère Lapin is one of our go-tos in town.

1 Like

Stayed at my friend’s house in NOLA for a couple days over spring break…had an amazing (and cheap) meal at Frankie and Johnny’s

first time visiting the city and I loved it, felt like a cross between an east coast beach town and a big city

3 Likes

if we’re talking true fast food…
Chick Fil-A, Cane’s, Shake Shack and Five Guys will always be top tier for me, but I’ll eat anything

late night Cookout is next level though

3 Likes

So I’ve been trying to follow some of these. What is Cane’s and Shake Shack? I’ve heard of Five Guys… actually walked by the one in London a couple years ago… but I don’t think there is one in Central Europe.

I know Chick Fil-A, Whataburger because they are old school… and I’ve heard of In-N-Out but have never been to one.

My favorite place over here is either:

1. Nando’s (I’ve heard they’ve started franchising these in the US now) which I can’t get in Germany… only in the UK, Kuwait & UAE when I visit…

2. BeFED which is only in Italy. So sadly not in Germany either. :frowning:

I can’t even think of a Germany-specific fast food chain (There are McDonalds, Burger King and KFC around and that’s about it), but German fast food is normally independent German Frikadelle & Sausages, Turkish Kebap or Rotisserie Chicken/Ribs… they are all good if you go to the right one.

When I lived in England, the closest McDonalds was 30 minutes away… there were more Burger King/Little Chef combos on the Motorways than McDonalds. @BDragon have you ever eaten at a Little Chef? Those places are vomit inducers… I’m currently gagging just thinking about that place right now. I did love Cornish Pasty Co. or the pasties from Gregg the Bakers… I also loved the scones in the back of M&S.

http://www.littlechef.co.uk/

https://www.cornishpastyco.com/

3 Likes

Close out may be delayed because the service is slooooow at Ralph’s (food is okay to good). Should have named it Ralph’s House though.

2 Likes

The other good UK chain is Wagamama (more fast casual) - there are a few in Boston/NY. Nando’s is great.

2 Likes

Not really a fan of Wagamama… food was just so so in my opinion.

1 Like

Oh man, I love their Chicken Katsu Curry.

1 Like

Agreed. They try hard but it feels like they’re exclusively staffed by people with no actual server experience. I’ve eaten there 3 times now, and all three times the food was fine. Certainly not bad but not notably good, while being kinda pricy. The oddest thing was the brunch. My Bloody Mary was good while Rose got some refresher thing that defied description. It wasn’t bad but it was too thick to be a proper beverage. I’ll be back again before too long, though. We look for CTB each time.

1 Like

Over rated. Been here for 3 yrs and only had it once

1 Like

Oh man Little Chef. Haven’t thought about that in a min. I’m not a fan which is a shame because I love a good patsy. For anyone ever in DC the Queen Vic H street NE serves killer ones late night.

Best fast casual is Cava out of the DMV just got them here in Atl. Think Chipotle meets Mediterranean

1 Like

Some fun trivia the original Cava is like a nice sit down restaurant with one of the original locations on barracks row in DC!

1 Like