Best Glue Guy

Need help updating this list…who is missing?

2 Likes

Could throw Braxton on there… I’m going with Zay though

3 Likes

Gill probably had too big of an offensive role (usage% each season: 23%, 25%, 24%) to be considered a glue guy in my opinion. He was the team leader in usage in 2013-2014, 2014-2015.

5 Likes

Braxton definitely needs to go on that list. We don’t win a title in 19 without his contributions. I think Gil qualifies too. I get @AdventiveQuasar point, the stats would say he was more than that, but perception wise, it was never “his team” Based on that argument you could also make an argument for Mamadi before his last year.

3 Likes

Devon Hall might be on there but not sure he qualifies. I’m going with Jack Salt here. Dude could do it all

1 Like

Hall’s a good pull as well. He fits the bill in my book. Three things about Salt will always stick out to me. 1) The bone crushing screens, as a big I loved them and appreciated that he enjoyed them.
2) Him dropping a career high 16 I believe it was in the ACC Tourney to lift the Hoos over NC State, a very glue guy move to come up and out of his comfort zone when the team needed him.
3)Grabbing and hugging Mamadi after the shot went in against Purdue, I actually have a sticker of that in my window at my office.

4 Likes

That’s exactly right. Jack was the best

1 Like

@DFresh11 would Kenny Turner qualify as a glue guy?

2 Likes

I’d go with Zay in the Tony era and Cornel Parker pre TB.

2 Likes

i think he was too big of offensive threat to be true glue guy. Turner got buckets

1 Like

same reason i dont consider AG as “glue” guy in same way

2 Likes

in 1989 Matt Blundin was crazy glue guy ha

5 Likes

Matt Blundin reference it’s officially a good day

5 Likes

I remember JWilly being a heck of a glue guy.

2 Likes

Terry Gates or Marc Iavaroni

2 Likes

Kihei is my pick.

5 Likes

Zay is the quintessential glue guy in my book. Never averaged more than like 6 or 7, not incredible physically, but was absolutely essential to team success. Very rarely has someone without a lot of talent been able to lead by example as strongly as Zay. Hate to be “pillars guy”, but has anyone ever been as passionate at Zay day in and day out? Dude had crazy heart

7 Likes

Yea, Zay was the heart and soul of the team. When I looked at that list he just jumped off the page at me. The best there was. IMO

I did love the Matt Blundin reference

2 Likes

I am goin with Zay for this one as well. The guy seemed to be everywhere on the floor and even took a turnover so his PG wouldnt get one.

2 Likes