đź—ş Best & Worst Cities

I almost went to grad school there. Then I realized Boston is a shithole

5 Likes

Yes Boston is a woke shit hole

1 Like

I actually like Boston…if it was about 20 degrees warmer during the winter.

3 Likes

Eh, if you only spend time on college campuses, maybe. I went to college in New England, had some black friends, and they pretty much all mentioned at one time or another over beers that Boston might be the most racist city they’d ever been to.

Edit -

Lol!

If your goal is to get good job and career-services preparation as part of getting your degree, Northeastern might be the best school in the country. Undergrad acceptance is down to 18% now.

4 Likes

That’s how I feel about Chicago

Yep, same about Chicago & Minneapolis.

2 Likes

100% and exactly why I hate it. Legit had to fist fight my way out there more than a few times.

5 Likes

Bill Russell, 1988: “I’d rather be in jail in Sacramento than be mayor of Boston.”

7 Likes

I found overt racism to be worse in urban enclaves than what I witnessed in the South growing up. Although it is everywhere because … humans. Everyone’s mileage varies widely of course.

5 Likes

Yes and… I’ve lived and traveled all over this great country and have neen called a N$#$$ is most every corner of it. Racism knows no boundaries.

9 Likes

That’s infuriating. I lose faith in humanity when I hear things like that. I’ll never understand why people can’t just get along or at least otherwise let others be.

5 Likes

The last 10 years I’ve discovered that America isn’t the country I thought it was. I’m an old white boomer, but I am sincerely sorry to anyone who has suffered from racism or other ridiculous prejudices here in the US. We should be beyond that but it seems we’re regressing, rapidly.

16 Likes

It’s a vestigial pre-civilization attribute in the Human OS (fear of the “other” outside the tribe) that is no longer relevant to modern society. Our way forward is to use our reason to overcome these built-in flaws.

3 Likes

Having grown up in Sacramento, I can confirm that this is even more insulting to Boston than it seems as Sacramento in 1988 was coming of a decade in which it had a good half-dozen or more prominent serial killers.

5 Likes

2nd best city in the country.

Chicago is my favorite city in America (3 months out of the year)

3 Likes

@jazznutUVA is deciding whether he has to move a lot of these messages to a new thread called “Shithole Cities and Their Ambient Temperatures”

Also “Bad Reasons to Go to Grad School”

5 Likes

Are you calling Charlottesville the best? Just curious?

1 Like

Which 3 months? In Chicago summer '94 and June '95 I experienced 100F and Hilton Head level humidity. Old folks were dying in droves in the high rises without A/C. Old timer told me it is one of the few places in the world that can get that can kill you with cold in the winter and kill you with heat in the summer.

1 Like

Jazz only cares about city discussions when we start talking about Bielefeld and Heidelberg

5 Likes