Big 10 proposes immediate eligibility for transfers

Has any thought been given to how the rule change will effect the players and specifically whether the transferees are more or less likely to complete their education?
In general, I’m in favor of anything that encourages athletes to stay in college. Am I incorrect in assuming that sitting out a year actually benefits the student side of the student-athlete?

1 Like

No and why would we need another pg that expect tu start. Plus TB is not starting anyone over kihei, right or wrong. But knowing Matt, he wouldnt do anything that would take minutes from his brother. They already believe he should play more.

Aamir Simms hate UVA for dissing him out of hs. Unless things have changed. He is not coming and im not sure he is graduating. Plus we dont need him. Forget Matt and Amir and get Seth Towns and call it the day. We dont need another pg or big.

The rule could help with the rb from Indiana. See thats a reality situation.

Sitting out a yr doesn’t help a kid academically. Let me ask you this. Could you transfer from UVA tu Uconn and do well in school? Its the same thing. If you are a good student at your current school. There is a great chance you will be a good student at your new school. If you are a crappy student at your current school. Its most likely you will be a crappy student at your new school. Sitting out a yr will not help or hurt that.

1 Like

If your playing the what kf game, let me what if this. What if Huff graduate this yr and quit basketball?

Uhhh what?

4 Likes

I’ll just win the lottery and call it a retirement. :laughing: Yeah they’re one of the 70 trying. Crazier things have happened. He’s not going to dive into it until the season is over.

1 Like

With regards to Matt, I don’t think he would be brought in to start over Kihei. TB loves running out two point guards so I don’t think a Matt Coleman-Kihei Clark back court is a crazy idea

1 Like

It does if they are struggling at their current school or in their current major and could use additional time to work on their requirements. It’s more difficult to be a good student at UVA than lots of other D1 schools.

1 Like

Every year an athlete spends in college increases the chance they will graduate. It doesn’t guarantee it and it obviously depends upon the commitment of the specific individual, but in general it sure makes graduating more likely. This is the case not only because they spend more years in college but also because they have the advantage of academic advisors in athletic departments who enhance the ability of athletes tu succeed academically. I say this based on several decades of experience at the college level.

5 Likes

And yes, graduating from UVa is more difficult than at other schools in the ACC. To remain in good academic standing at UVa and be able to play you must satisfy academic requirements that are more demanding than those of the NCAA.

4 Likes

Nicely stated!

1 Like

Why would TB take a transfer he felt wouldnt do well at UVA? The poster asked a general question about not sitting out a yr hurting academically. It never hurt any transfer I know. Nigel made all acc academic at UVA. Again however you do at one school you most likely will do at your new school.

1 Like

So what happens if the NCAA eliminates the transfer redshirt rule?

Today, about 40% of NCAA men’s basketball players transfer by the end of their sophomore year. That number will increase with the elimination of the redshirt rule. How much will it increase?

A lot.

For most teams, and especially Virginia, recruiting is a hard, slow way to build a team. It takes years to build the inroads with players to get them to come, and then years to develop them into real contributors.

For Virginia’s National Championship in 2019, they started recruiting some of the players in 2014. They joined the team in 2016. They won in 2019. That’s a laborious, high-risk 6+ year process.

With the new rules, there’s a shortcut. Last year, Texas Tech used two graduate transfers to get to the NCAA Championship game. Coaches see it. Now you can pick players with a proven ability to play in college.

So the world is going to change dramatically. Here are five things I’m pretty sure are true if the new rules are adopted:

Transfer recruiting: There will be teams that adopt a ‘transfer recruiting’ strategy just as teams like Kentucky and Duke have adopted a ‘one-and-done’ recruiting strategy. Instead of wasting all that time in smelly high school gyms, coaches will hire full time scouts to watch other NCAA teams.

“Showcasing”: a promising talent out of high school is just below the radar of the elite schools. Instead of going to a school like Virginia and paying his dues, he’ll go to a mid-major or other lesser school that promises playing time and star for a year, and then transfer to an elite school. In effect, the majority of schools will become feeder teams for the elite schools. Most of the NCAA will become the G League for a handful of elite schools. And some of those G League schools will embrace the model, and become the new ‘one-and-done’ factories: they’ll promise lots of playing time and the opportunity to leave after one year.

Me-me-me: It sounds impossible, but the egos and arrogance will only grow. If your coach doesn’t deliver the minutes, playing style, and media hype he promised during recruiting, then the player leaves for greener pastures. Imagine the obnoxious calls from mom during the season: “My baby only played seven minutes last night! He’s transferring if he doesn’t play 20 minutes in your next game!”

Repeat transfers: Because of the redshirt rule, it’s rare to transfer multiple times. You only have five years to play four (barring a waiver), so a second transfer redshirt eats a year of eligibility. Now that’s gone. You could conceivably play for four teams in four years.

Cheaters will cheat: the new rule will do nothing to reduce corruption. Instead of buying kids out of high school, they’ll just buy them from other colleges.

What does this all mean for Virginia? Interestingly, it might be a positive for Virginia. Virginia recruits for culture, and typically recruits in the talent range (top 50 to 100) where players know they need some development. Will more players transfer out of Virginia? Probably not. They came to Virginia knowing the deal.

But Virginia will be a very attractive place to play for transfers joining the team. It’s a proven, winning model in the top conference with the best coaches, facilities, and academics. And the culture weeds out the players who are likely to bounce from team to team hoping for more minutes.

So even though I think this rule change creates as many problems as it solves, it’ll be a good thing for Virginia. Not so for lots of other teams. Imagine you’re BC’s coach and one of your three-star freshmen that you worked so hard to land gets hot. He’s gone, baby.

6 Likes

Agree I think it’s a mixed back for Virginia. For the most part CTB and staff has done well in limited engagement into the transfer market thus far.

As far as does it hurt a mid-major or a team like BC? Possibly I won’t argue that more kids will likely transfer, but we’re already seeing that trend increase so the horse is out of the barn. Plus I rather see a solid player at BC transfer to a higher ranked team and maybe finish out their education than just go pro and potentially flame out of the league in 2 years which GT and BC have been gutted by already in recent years.

Is it a perfect system far from it but I think it’s an evolution and a step in the right direction. I believe the current system isn’t working and change needs to happen and at least this is something.

2 Likes

One of the problems in taking this step is the recruiting of players from other college teams. I know it is illegal until they announce transferring but we all know that would change in a lot of ways. As far as for Virginia I personally dont think we would be one of the “active” teams in the transfer market unless we have the scenario again where 3 guys are able to leave early for the NBA or something similar.

4 Likes

Good point, You can bet there will be active recruiting of current players. Probably the best recruiting though will come from the players. They all know each other and can talk without repercussions. It helped us get Braxton he made a call in Kyle. The NBA functions on basically the same model.

4 Likes

ha. See that I, hadnt even considered player to player.

2 Likes

I just want to contextualize this a little bit, using a couple of different data sources: a recent NCAA report on transfers as well as an AthleticDirectorU article from 2-ish years ago on transfers.

• 46% of D1 basketball transfers in 2019 left D1 (for D2, D3, or non NCAA institutions); this number has been over 50% in the years prior.
  • The NCAA data suggests 60% of D1-to-D1 transfers are “lateral,” meaning to programs similar in prestige, with 24% down-transferring and 16% up-transferring. Slide 16 of the NCAA report has their criteria for categorizing up-, down-, and lateral-transfers, it looks reasonable. If you look at the tables in the AthleticDirectorU articles, the non-power conferences have incoming transfers with higher average recruiting ratings than the outgoing transfers from their conferences.
  • Grad student transfers have stayed similar in frequency for the past 4 years. Grad student transfers are a little more likely to be up-transfers (21% of all grad transfers), but ~60% are lateral transfers.

I take this to mean that most transfers are really about players finding the right level for them (in the case of down-transfers) or the right situation (in the case of lateral-transfers), as opposed to jumping to something better. The grad transfer data might give us us a little bit of an idea about what to expect with an immediate eligibility rule, but certainly a lot can change with that.

4 Likes